PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! RIA DISASSEMBLY PROBLEM!

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:16 AM
:confused: I'm sitting here reading the directions (manual) and watching youtube vids on it and somethings not right.

Problem: removing barrel bushing.

the videos show people able to manipulate it back and forth and pull it out easy when all the way to the left.

well mine (Match Model) I can barely turn the thing.. I mean I'm using a contractors pencil to manipulate it back and forth and I can't get it even to budge when all the way to the left...so I can pull the thing out. what the heck?

please help me and the wifey want to go shoot today.

thanks

furfam4
04-30-2011, 8:21 AM
ok got it out but seriously that was ridiculous. Every video I've watched it seems like the thing is almost loose and easy to manipulate and pull out. I had to practically for the damn thing. And I'm no sissy boy.:chris: Any ideas on what's up with this thing?

CaliB&R
04-30-2011, 8:29 AM
My guess is that the RIA Match are made to tighter tolerances.

375Ranger
04-30-2011, 8:34 AM
They are tighter than the GI model. Just use the bushing wrench that came with it and should be fine. Good gun ya got there, by the way.

morrcarr67
04-30-2011, 8:47 AM
I'm just wondering if the videos you watched or the instructions you read told you to use a pencil to remove the bushing?

hornswaggled
04-30-2011, 8:50 AM
That's part of why yours is match grade.

Darklyte27
04-30-2011, 8:51 AM
Its new, its tight, how mine was. You can get a barrel bushing wrench

zfields
04-30-2011, 9:00 AM
um...thats the point of a match grade. Tighter bushing = tighter, more repeatable lockup while firing.

Lumpia is sarap!
04-30-2011, 9:09 AM
Make sure you soak that up with oil before shooting it! Glad you figured it out.

redcliff
04-30-2011, 9:47 AM
Usually on match bushing 1911's I remove the slide as one unit, cupping my hand under the recoil spring while sliding the slide off. Then I remove the recoil spring guide, spring and plug, and push the barrel down then forward to get the bushing onto the smaller, taperred part of the barrel o.d. Then I use a non-marring bushing wrench to turn the bushing; I'm only fighting the bushing to slide fit at that point and not both the bushing to slide plus bushing to barrel fit.

Its much more difficult with a FLGR which I believe your RIA Match has, I personally replace those with standard g.i. type guide rods and plugs. I really find no advantage to a FLGR and a number of disadvantages, and I've not seen a lack in accuracy when changing them out. Many very accurate pistols do not feature a FLGR.

With a standard g.i. type recoil guide rod and plug, you can also disassemble by slightly retracting the slide to once again get the bushing off the largest o.d. area of the barrel and using your non-marring bushing wrench to turn the bushing and disassemble in a more standard manner.

On reassembly I always retract the slide a bit so I don't scuff the bushing to barrel fit when reinstalling the bushing and spring plug.

SAR_boats
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
try using a barrel bushing wrench and retract the slide part way before turning

furfam4
04-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm just wondering if the videos you watched or the instructions you read told you to use a pencil to remove the bushing?

no it was just hard as hell so i looked for something to use that would damage the finish. ok got it, it is extremely tight, and it's supposed to be. Didn't come with a barrel bushing wrench. I will definitely get one. Now im going to go shoot it!!! bwahahaahah! :punk:

morrcarr67
04-30-2011, 12:44 PM
no it was just hard as hell so i looked for something to use that would damage the finish. ok got it, it is extremely tight, and it's supposed to be. Didn't come with a barrel bushing wrench. I will definitely get one. Now im going to go shoot it!!! bwahahaahah! :punk:

OK, I was just checking.

This is my favorite 1911 tool. Might want to check it out. A little pricy but very nice. Click on picture to go to their site.

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/M1911-4_2.jpg (http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CAL&Product_Code=M1911-4&Category_Code=CGI)

redcliff
04-30-2011, 1:12 PM
OK, I was just checking.

This is my favorite 1911 tool. Might want to check it out. A little pricy but very nice. Click on picture to go to their site.

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/M1911-4_2.jpg (http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CAL&Product_Code=M1911-4&Category_Code=CGI)

While I like the concept of the tool, I find the bushing wrench incorporated in it capable of scratching the front of the slide. I strictly use non-marring Nylon bushing wrenches.

morrcarr67
04-30-2011, 3:20 PM
While I like the concept of the tool, I find the bushing wrench incorporated in it capable of scratching the front of the slide. I strictly use non-marring Nylon bushing wrenches.

You are correct Sir. If not careful you will scratch the gun. :(