View Full Version : any newer 10/22 owners having problems with the coating?

04-30-2011, 6:07 AM
I bought the all weather(stainless/syn) 10/22 about 3 years ago and the coating on the upper receiver is flaking off. was wondering if anyone has recoated theirs and what they did to fix this?

04-30-2011, 6:19 AM
nope... well.. not that im aware of anyway..

04-30-2011, 7:20 AM
was thinking robars np3 finish i dont plan on getting rid of it so i figure mine as well spend a couple bucks on the rifle.

04-30-2011, 7:29 AM
All the 10/22's I see seem to rapidly loose their receiver coating, but only on the area where the bolt rides along the top of the inside of the receiver.

04-30-2011, 9:36 AM
All the 10/22's I see seem to rapidly loose their receiver coating, but only on the area where the bolt rides along the top of the inside of the receiver.

mine is slowly migrating to the outside of the receiver.

04-30-2011, 9:49 AM
The new coating has tons of over-spray that gets inside the receiver.
This then flakes and wears off, gumming up the bolt and adversely affecting function.
Using commercial paint stripper, I have removed the coating.
For now, as mostly I quickly refinish for photos and prototype samples of new products, I use Rustoleum fine-textured flat black as a replacement.
This gives a slight crinkle / parkerized look that is nice and easy to do.

04-30-2011, 9:58 AM
Same with my new 10/22 that I purchased about 3 years ago. Also, I'm seeing some peening in certain areas. Makes me suspect that they're not anodizing before spraying on the coating/paint. Leaves the aluminum soft.

I'll probably never buy another Ruger 10/22, just for this reason. I'm thinking that my next one will be a nodak or the Razor 80%.

04-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I've hardly shot mine and the paint is definately coming off inside the receiver, haven't had any problems outside yet though.

I also have a 10/22 with a black receiver from the 90's and it still looks great and the inside of the receiver still looks good too, its smooth when the black starts to come up from all the friction.

04-30-2011, 1:41 PM
Strip off the BBQ paint and use Duracoat(preferred) or AlumaHyde II.

04-30-2011, 2:01 PM
I'm in the same boat, both of my 10/22's have that crap flaking off in my action. I'm almost to the point of stripping it all off, and duracoating it.

04-30-2011, 2:32 PM
I just molycoated one of mine,, I put this finish on my carry Walther over 20 yrs. ago and its just beginging to break through now. Not even sure molycoat is available anymore, i guess duracoat is now all the rage. Dunno why Ruger stopped anodizing the receivers, doesnt seem like a smart move.

04-30-2011, 4:43 PM
I polished mine to a mirror finish and use mothers to keep up the shine. You can always bead blast it for a more a matte finish.

04-30-2011, 9:09 PM
well i would just strip all the finish off and leave it like that if its stainless underneath after all my barrel is stainless but if the receiver was stainless why did they paint it? lol

04-30-2011, 9:31 PM
The receiver is aluminum alloy. Only the barrel is stainless.

05-01-2011, 2:49 PM
I have one with the black finish and the first day I bought it the gun rode home wearing the weird trigger lock assembly it comes with. They have that long rigid lock and that bar that wraps around the receiver with an end that goes into the chamber, blocking the gun from functioning. That bar rattled around and really scuffed up the finish on the top of the receiver. I'm not too confident about how well that spray-on finish is applied.

05-01-2011, 6:21 PM
any recommendations for anodizers or gun coaters here in the bay area?