PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for a .45ACP

Mulay El Raisuli
04-30-2011, 3:56 AM
I've decided to put a scope of some sort on one of my .45s. My .45 isn't highly accurized or anything, so driving nails at extreme distances isn't the goal. All I want is the ability to reliably tap zombies at 50-60 yards, & get close enough to frighten them at 100. A standard telescopic sight is likely too big, too heavy & too fragile. So, I'm thinking a red dot sight would fit the bill. The question is, which one?

My primary desire is for a sight that can stand up to what a .45 with full-power loads can dish out. I don't need multiple reticles or other fancy features. Just a simple, basic sight.

I found a thread here from 2009 that tells me that Barska isn't the way to go. That same thread mentioned that Bushnell might be. Are there any other decently-priced red dot sights out there? Is there anywhere in San Diego county I could go to actually see samples, or am I limited to mail-order?

The Raisuli

WILDMAN442
04-30-2011, 4:34 AM
Price range?

Anything that says Aimpoint or Eotech (as long as their authentic) gets my vote.

Well worth the coin.

Justin

dieselpower
04-30-2011, 4:50 PM
^ I disagree. Maybe a T1 would be ok...but and Eotech on a 1911? NO.

Either go with what professional competitors use, C-More Systems with the crazy rail system, or a C-More STS + mount, a Trijicon RMR, or a Burris FastFire. I don't think the Burris will hold up to a .45 slide. I know C-mores and Trijicons will that are designed to ride on a slide.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-01-2011, 4:24 AM
Price range?

Anything that says Aimpoint or Eotech (as long as their authentic) gets my vote.

Well worth the coin.

Justin

Money is real tight lately, so I'm looking to spend as little as possible. The other thread had a comment that said that a Bushnell red dot selling for $80 worked. That's in my price range. I can go a little higher, but not a lot higher. I like the idea of EOtech, but they've got nothing I can afford. Same for Aimpoint.

The Raisuli

Mulay El Raisuli
05-01-2011, 4:27 AM

Either go with what professional competitors use, C-More Systems with the crazy rail system, or a C-More STS + mount, a Trijicon RMR, or a Burris FastFire. I don't think the Burris will hold up to a .45 slide. I know C-mores and Trijicons will that are designed to ride on a slide.

The mount I have replaces the left panel grip & puts the scope over the barrel, so the sight wouldn't be riding the slide. Still, the 1911 does have a hefty recoil & so nothing real cheap will do.

The Raisuli

ubet
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Op, how about just putting a set of adjustable iron sights on your 1911? You can dial them for the load you are shooting, and be on. Unless you are rested, the precision with a red dot, will be no more than with iron sights imo. With the iron sights you can still wear it in a holster.

50-60yds isnt asking a lot out of a GOOD pistol with hand tuned loads, even with iron sights.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-02-2011, 2:38 AM
Op, how about just putting a set of adjustable iron sights on your 1911? You can dial them for the load you are shooting, and be on. Unless you are rested, the precision with a red dot, will be no more than with iron sights imo. With the iron sights you can still wear it in a holster.

50-60yds isnt asking a lot out of a GOOD pistol with hand tuned loads, even with iron sights.

Yes, but it is asking a lot of my (middle-aged) eyes. And, I'd like to be able to have at least a partial chance of reaching out to 100. Perhaps if I go back a bit I can explain better.

I originally started out trying to find a good .45ACP carbine. Something that would make a good companion piece to my 1911. An ideal companion piece would also use 1911 mags. I thought immediately of the Marlin Camp Carbine. But they're out of production & no one who has one wants to sell. At least, not at a price even close to what I can afford.

Then I thought of the Mech-Tech. It uses 1911 mags, of course. I could live with the price, but they're illegal in this state. Also, I can't any solid evidence as to how just how rugged they are. I of course want something just as tough as the 1911 itself & what I have read about the Mech-Tech gives me doubts.

I'm willing to give up on the 'uses the same mags' thing, but I'm not seeing anything out there that would do what I want. All effort seems to be directed at .40 or 9mm carbines.

Then it occurred to me. I have an extra 1911. With a 'scope, I can (probably) reach out to 100 yds. I have no worries about it being as tough as 1911 because it is a 1911. I lucked out & came across a 'scope mount for $5. Now all I need is the proper 'scope. My money situation has gone downhill in a BIG way lately so putting the cost of a carbine into the 'scope is something I can't quite do anymore. Still, with a little luck, I can have something that can reach out as far as a carbine, yet is easier to carry about. Finding a holster for a 'scoped 1911 isn't as easy as finding one usually is, but I think they're out there. Even if not, I think I can rig up something that would still be easier than carrying a carbine. While still having the other 1911 on my hip, ready to go quickly.

Its a good plan, I think. All I need now is a decent 'scope.

The Raisuli

ubet
05-04-2011, 6:03 PM
OP, Hmmmm, Dont know what to tell you, other than good luck.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-05-2011, 5:51 AM
OP, Hmmmm, Dont know what to tell you, other than good luck.

Which I'm sure to need. :)

Thanks.

The Raisuli

Aldemar
05-05-2011, 1:30 PM
Yes, but it is asking a lot of my (middle-aged) eyes. And, I'd like to be able to have at least a partial chance of reaching out to 100. Perhaps if I go back a bit I can explain better.

I originally started out trying to find a good .45ACP carbine. Something that would make a good companion piece to my 1911. An ideal companion piece would also use 1911 mags. I thought immediately of the Marlin Camp Carbine. But they're out of production & no one who has one wants to sell. At least, not at a price even close to what I can afford.

Then I thought of the Mech-Tech. It uses 1911 mags, of course. I could live with the price, but they're illegal in this state. Also, I can't any solid evidence as to how just how rugged they are. I of course want something just as tough as the 1911 itself & what I have read about the Mech-Tech gives me doubts.

I'm willing to give up on the 'uses the same mags' thing, but I'm not seeing anything out there that would do what I want. All effort seems to be directed at .40 or 9mm carbines.

Then it occurred to me. I have an extra 1911. With a 'scope, I can (probably) reach out to 100 yds. I have no worries about it being as tough as 1911 because it is a 1911. I lucked out & came across a 'scope mount for $5. Now all I need is the proper 'scope. My money situation has gone downhill in a BIG way lately so putting the cost of a carbine into the 'scope is something I can't quite do anymore. Still, with a little luck, I can have something that can reach out as far as a carbine, yet is easier to carry about. Finding a holster for a 'scoped 1911 isn't as easy as finding one usually is, but I think they're out there. Even if not, I think I can rig up something that would still be easier than carrying a carbine. While still having the other 1911 on my hip, ready to go quickly.

Its a good plan, I think. All I need now is a decent 'scope.

The Raisuli

Check out Dawson Precision

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS

I'm 58 and put a set of the fiber-optic sights on my Kimber TLE/RL and it made all the difference in the world.

zfields
05-05-2011, 2:13 PM
Have you looked at the ballistics and holdover for .45 at 100 yards even? 7" drop,Its a pretty low FPS round ya know.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Have you looked at the ballistics and holdover for .45 at 100 yards even? 7" drop,Its a pretty low FPS round ya know.

Which means aiming at the top of the head will still deliver a slug to the kill zone. Which is all I'm looking for.

Check out Dawson Precision

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS

I'm 58 and put a set of the fiber-optic sights on my Kimber TLE/RL and it made all the difference in the world.

Not a bad idea, but not going to take me to 100 yds either. Still, now that you have me thinking of it, I'm going to think on it some more.

Thank you.

The Raisuli

IPSICK
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM

I'd go with these suggestions. Not sure about the Burris, but similar designs such as the Docter and the Jpoint have been mounted on 1911 slides. I wouldn't mount a C-more to a moving slide.

I wouldn't put budget (.22/airsoft) optics on my 1911 either.

Justintoxicated
05-06-2011, 6:36 PM
Just FYI, I got one of those primary arms red dots for my buckmark, I used it once. I'm just as accurate with the iron sights, maybe even more accurate due to the 4moa size dot. Even with my middle-aged eyes. It's much more fun to shoot with irons on a pistol. The optic was fine, just ended up not using it.

However if your set on a scope I would get something with magnification, not necessarily a red dot, at least then you can see the target better.

Or if you want to buy my red dot sight....It was kinda cool the way you can see the dot so easily with both eyes open, and the gun kinda just fades away, just not my style.

sniper4usmc
05-06-2011, 6:38 PM
bushnell tlr-1

Mulay El Raisuli
05-07-2011, 5:59 AM
Just FYI, I got one of those primary arms red dots for my buckmark, I used it once. I'm just as accurate with the iron sights, maybe even more accurate due to the 4moa size dot. Even with my middle-aged eyes. It's much more fun to shoot with irons on a pistol. The optic was fine, just ended up not using it.

However if your set on a scope I would get something with magnification, not necessarily a red dot, at least then you can see the target better.

Or if you want to buy my red dot sight....It was kinda cool the way you can see the dot so easily with both eyes open, and the gun kinda just fades away, just not my style.

Are you close to San Diego?

Anyway, I'm not against a scope. I don't even need much in the way of magnification. A 1-2X would fit my need just fine. I just don't think I'll find one that's as tough as a red dot at a price I can afford (around $100).

The Raisuli

Agent Tikki
05-07-2011, 9:05 AM
I'm leaning towards the Leupold Deltapoint. 7.5 moa triangle. Big sight picture 7.5 moa for close quarters work, and you can use the upper tip of the triangle for long distance precision work. Its about $350 if you look around, but cheaper (about $500 for the newer models) than the Trijicon RMR which everyone raves about. Its not as rugged as the RMRs but I'm not planning on carrying it everyday. It has a larger window. I like the triangle. I'd prefer the Eotech reticle, but hey the Eotechs are a little big for this application.

Justintoxicated
05-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Are you close to San Diego?

Anyway, I'm not against a scope. I don't even need much in the way of magnification. A 1-2X would fit my need just fine. I just don't think I'll find one that's as tough as a red dot at a price I can afford (around $100).

The Raisuli

Yea, I'm in Escondido. The optic I have is the Primary arms (Gen2?) It's the one in my avatar. I only used it once on my 22. I think this is the one primary arms stopped making because if you remove the base mount incorrectly it purges the nitrogen or something. Since I was just adding it to the picatinny on my 22 I really didn't care, and I have never taken it apart. I think it was like $59. Might want to ask the primary arms people if they think it will hold up to a 45acp first. I know most people were using them on their AR's.

If not no, big deal, it's a good backup for my eotech I guess. Or I maybe my gf would like it on the 22 (but I'd rather get her to learn the irons.)

Send me a PM if your interested I might forget to check the thread.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-10-2011, 5:35 AM
Yea, I'm in Escondido. The optic I have is the Primary arms (Gen2?) It's the one in my avatar. I only used it once on my 22. I think this is the one primary arms stopped making because if you remove the base mount incorrectly it purges the nitrogen or something. Since I was just adding it to the picatinny on my 22 I really didn't care, and I have never taken it apart. I think it was like $59. Might want to ask the primary arms people if they think it will hold up to a 45acp first. I know most people were using them on their AR's.

If not no, big deal, it's a good backup for my eotech I guess. Or I maybe my gf would like it on the 22 (but I'd rather get her to learn the irons.)

Send me a PM if your interested I might forget to check the thread.

Thank you. Private message sent.

The Raisuli

Oceanbob
05-10-2011, 6:56 AM
It works well. I think I paid about $85 bucks for it.

The weapon is my Avatar.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsqvh&xhr=t&q=millet+red+dot&cp=10&rlz=1R2ADBR_en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1305037059937040&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15310923214719556871&sa=X&ei=WkrJTa7VNbOM0QHJxcmkCA&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAw#

Actually the 'Mount' for my GLOCK 20 cost MORE than the Red Dot. :D
(about $100)

In thinking about a 'Tactical' use for a scoped handgun I decided that any targets under 100 yards could be easily targeted with a good set of Iron sites. My eyes aren't good either. But I can shoot center mass on anything at 100 yards.

I have owned a Camp Carbine .45...and that would be my first choice (I sold mine here to a fellow Cal Gunner for $450) A neat weapon for sure.

But, like I said, under 100 yards any pistol with iron sites will do the job.

I am not so sure a .45 auto cartridge is your best bet for accurate shooting. The cartridge is SLOW and depending on weight, drops quite a bit. But installing a Millet SP2 would make the weapon accurate enought if you used the same ammo. (get some hot 200 grain stuff). Certainly good enought to drop a rabbit at 80 yards.

For FUN purposes (that's why we shoot folks...fun)...before I bought the mount and red dot for one of my Glock 20s...I bought a 9X25 conversion barrel. (uses the same mags as the glock 20)

Why..?..so I could waste more money having fun..that's why...!..LOL

Anyway...in thinking about an effective round for (kinda) long range zombie protection....It became apparent that this 9X25 bullet was my solution.

A bullet that travels close to 2000 FPS....(that's ZIPPY to say the least)...
and in doing so has very little drop....just a few inches at 150 yards...

So here's what I did. I installed the mount, the red dot and the conversion unit on my GLOCK 20. At an outdoor range, I zeroed the weapon to exactly
150 yards. (my eyes work well with this red dot and I can keep both eyes open when acquiring, tracking and shooting targets at this range)..with a 3.5 pound trigger, I can stand and with a two hand hold, put 20 rounds into a
10 inch paperplate at 150 yards. Even better if I can sit and take my time.

What this does if give me Carbine capabilities out to 150 yards and perhaps beyond if I need it. Further out, I would go for and AR, AK or Mini 30.

Bottom line is this is a fun weapon to shoot.

http://i51.tinypic.com/11qsoj7.jpg

With the 6 inch extended barrel and a preban extended 20 round mag this weapon adds a new dimension to perimeter control or rabbit plinking.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1z37xo6.jpg

mswanson223
05-10-2011, 7:56 AM
I have an Aimpoint sight just for pistols that i took off my Springfield 1911

Mulay El Raisuli
05-11-2011, 4:37 AM
I have an Aimpoint sight just for pistols that i took off my Springfield 1911

I don't think my wallet will let me go for a genuine Aimpoint. But what model & how much?

Oceanbob; that a bad approach. But I'm in love with the .45.

The Raisuli

calirc51
05-11-2011, 7:44 PM
Trijicon red dot ms03 are on sale at swfa for 149.00. I've seen them mounted on pistols.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-12-2011, 4:40 AM
Trijicon red dot ms03 are on sale at swfa for 149.00. I've seen them mounted on pistols.

Just came from there & couldn't find. Was it new or used?

The Raisuli

calirc51
05-12-2011, 5:48 AM
They are new. I posted the link on the marketplace "commercial" section. Hopefully they still have them. Here is the link. Good luck.
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-RedDot-Sights-C3598.aspx

calirc51
05-12-2011, 5:59 AM
I just checked the website, and I can't find it now. They must have sold out. I saw a bunch of guys on Calguns purchasing them. I saw the Doctor red dot for sale , 239.00, here http://www.cdnninvestments.com/doresiiipl35.html

Mulay El Raisuli
05-13-2011, 4:14 AM
I just checked the website, and I can't find it now. They must have sold out. I saw a bunch of guys on Calguns purchasing them. I saw the Doctor red dot for sale , 239.00, here http://www.cdnninvestments.com/doresiiipl35.html

Well, ain't that just the way?

The Raisuli

aTX427
05-15-2011, 8:43 AM
I have a Trijicon RMR on my g21sf and purchase an EOTech exps3.0 for my UMP, but decided to go with another RMR.

Mulay El Raisuli
06-09-2011, 4:39 AM
So, I decided that the Bushnell was ythe way to go. Just under $100 new. It looks good. Haven't taken it out yet, so no news on how well this will work.

So, any ideas on where to get a holster? I have a way to discretely carry the thing to the local gun stores (DVD case) but on my person is a different thing. Any advice appreciated.

The Raisuli

brassburnz
07-09-2011, 7:44 AM
Most of the bullseye shooters I know use the Ultradot system on their .45's. You can either mount it on the slide or on the frame. Slide mount requires tweaking the recoil spring and/or your reloading charge. Some people don't like the slide mount because the red dot is recoiling with the slide.

I have a slide mounted Ultradot on my .45. After thousands of rounds, everything is still zeroed in.

For more info, check out this site

http://bullseyepistol.com/

Uxi
07-11-2011, 8:31 PM
I'e been wanting to do an RMR on an RM44 on my G21.

Which Bushnell did you go with?