PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 feeding issue.

ElBandito
11-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Guys,
Every so often when im shooting clays (2 at a time), my Mossberg 500 will have a problem feeding the second round. When i take my first shot and recock, the second shell just drops out of the bottom of the gun. This happens randomly. Sometimes it loads fine, then sometimes i see the unfired shell at the bottom of my feet.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks

Matt C
11-24-2006, 3:29 PM
Wow, that's a strange problem. I only have exp. with 870s and it would be pretty much impossible to duplicate that with a remington.

pilotimb
11-26-2006, 8:55 PM
My brother has experience the same problem with his Mossberg 500.
Quickly pumping it to load the 2nd shell often causes it to spit it out the bottom.

joel1316
11-27-2006, 8:32 AM
I wonder how that would happen? Your elevator is going up before the round is fed? I figure the shell is getting hung up in the tube? Weak spring?

JPglee1
11-27-2006, 8:37 AM
If you short stroke it, with some kinds of ammo, it will do as your saying.

Try not to get in a hurry and do long controlled pumps.

Also, measure your cases, they aren't all the same .Some brands are longer or shorter (slightly, like 1/16") and can cause issues.

JP

acegunnr
11-27-2006, 9:49 AM
My Moss 500 does this when I short stroke it. Especially after I first got it. Practice will eliminate it.

ElBandito
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Ill take the gun to the range again and see what happens, probly its just me.

rayra
11-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Thirding the short stroke. Have had a 500 for a long time, never a problem until someone new to shotguns was trying it out and had those symptoms.
Only other feed problem I've ever had was when I installed a side-mount shell holder and overtightened things.

Conley
12-06-2006, 5:51 PM
I had the same problem today while shooting clays, but instead of the shell falling out, it got stuck in the elevator and it took me about 5 minutes to get it out! Most gun malfunctions are caused by the operator, so I chalked it up to me short-stroking it. After all was said and done, I actually got worried about what happened. What if I had been in a life and death situation? How embarassing. "Poor guy didn't make it..must have short-stroked it." I definitely will take greater care when cycling rounds now!

Conley

Rob454
12-13-2006, 5:23 PM
I never had that happen on my 500. I shoot it as fast as I can pump it and it always feeds. Ill go to the range again and try it to see if I can make it do that
Rob

acegunnr
12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Pumping it fast and sure will always work. It is when you hesitate on the down stroke that problems occur (shell falls out the bottom or gets hung up).

vwsergio
01-07-2007, 6:48 PM
I never had that happen on my 500. You may be shot stocking it

rla_2000
01-11-2007, 2:54 PM
I have never had that problem either, I will see if I can short-stroke it and get it to do it as well- Just for the heck of it!

Matt C
01-11-2007, 3:10 PM
Try not to get in a hurry and do long controlled pumps.

That sounds real great for a tactical shotgun. Not. I was trained to automatically chamber the next round as soon as I shoot, this way I can fire a pump as fast as a semi-auto. I would NEVER buy a pump SG that I had to slow down my pumps to keep the shell from dropping out of the gun.:eek:

battlehatch
01-11-2007, 3:39 PM
I must be lucky, I have short stroked mine and though the round didn't even chamber and it did. I recently aquired a well used 500atp and it cycles really well.

socalguns
01-12-2007, 12:25 AM
:) Check the springs and fingers?
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232910

naimad
01-12-2007, 7:21 AM
Thirding the short stroke. Have had a 500 for a long time, never a problem until someone new to shotguns was trying it out and had those symptoms.
Only other feed problem I've ever had was when I installed a side-mount shell holder and overtightened things.

forthing the short stroke idea i had a buddy while we were hunting was having the same problem with his moss 500 i watched him shooting and sure enough he was getting in a hurry and short stroking it

Rob454
01-13-2007, 7:57 PM
I jsut went hunting and took the 500 with me. Before we left I had abotu 140 rounds and me and 2 other buddies loaded and shot as fast as we could. Not one time did it hiccup in any way.
Rob

!@#$
01-13-2007, 8:01 PM
just like a levergun you have to cycle the action with force

mike100
01-13-2007, 8:53 PM
sounds like shell surge. remingtons do it too, but the shell lifter is always pesent so it doesn't drop shells, but rather it doesn't pop out in time before the shell latches lock it out.

well..I dunno try a new mag spring other than that I think the shell latches are out of time and letting two shells at a time out.

fairfaxjim
01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
It's not so much about speed, but full strokes back and out again without hesitation will feed just fine. If you hesitate and reverse direction in the middle of the stroke, the feed ramp will lift and the shell will just drop out of the bottom.