PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Info on: Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded .45ACP

ELIXIR
04-29-2011, 7:11 PM
I'm really interested in purchasing a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded .45ACP in the future (pretty soon!). I have shot other 1911's before, for example Kimber. I seem to like this Springfield 1911 model.. For one, its not too pricey compared to others, and second, its Springfield Armory!

I'm eager to know experience, knowledge & advice from CalGunners.
Are they reliable? Any Malfunctions? Quality of Parts. PROS & CONS. Things of that nature.

I've been told from Stainless Steel 1911 owners, that I shouldn't be looking into a Stainless Steel 1911 for the fact that it gets dirty super quick and it has a higher possibility of rusting. According to them.

Any advice, comments, & opinions are welcome. I would really appreciate it!

wc12
04-29-2011, 7:20 PM
Stainless steel does not get dirty quicker that a blued model. You just see it better. If you're using the same round, how could stainless be dirtier? The deposit on the stainless is more obvious, but how could it be different to a blued model? You just don't see it. It's like having a white vs a black car where dirt is more obvious on the white car.

I have an SA 1911 GI stainless steel finish with no issues after almost 1,000 rounds. I just replaced the stock trigger and cut the main spring by one coil. I believe it's a very reliable gun, and customer service is great.

jyo
04-29-2011, 7:36 PM
I recently picked-up a SA Loaded Champion 4" stainless here on Calguns---my only 1911 type at this time (I really prefer the 4 - 4 1/25" barrel 1911s) and must say seems well-fitted and nicely made---reliable and accurate too---thats about all I can ask for! Good luck in your search.

ELIXIR
04-29-2011, 8:13 PM
It's going to be a tough decision between the Stainless Steel and the Parkerized..... Really like them both....

Ronk
04-29-2011, 8:17 PM
I own various springfields and they are all superb firearms, maybe I am lucky, but I have not experienced a single failure and they have great warranties if anything does go wrong. I have stainless and blued and love em all! And as for rusting, any firearm is prone to rusting if neglected, take care of your firearm and it will treat you well.

MA2
04-29-2011, 8:18 PM
Both stainless and carbon steel will rust.
With proper maintenance both should not rust, both will outlast one person's lifetime, so pick whatever your preference is.
Carbon steel's advantage is during the heat treating process, it can be made harder/stronger (I think only Norinco frames were known be made harder than normal).

I like how stainless gets dirty when used...you will clean either gun regardless :tooth:
Just a tip on stainless...cleaning/oiling the frame and slide, just wipe in one direction left <-> right, it will keep it looking like new a little longer :)

Springfield http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

jak77
04-29-2011, 8:18 PM
I have one and love it!

That being said, I did have to send it to SA to get it worked on (was having consistent failure to feed, brass hitting me in the face, etc.). Since Ive got it back, Ive really had no problems with it. All problems fixed. One of the reason you go SA is for the lifetime warranty, its no questions asked and theyll fix it for you. I called SA and they paid for shipping both ways, and returned my Loaded within two weeks. Pretty good Ill say. Plus, if you every want to customize it, their Custom Shop is top notch and you keep your lifetime warranty intact. Im planning on sending my Loaded to the Custom Shop in the near future.

All in all, I would strongly recommend the Loaded. It has great features for a good price. Mine had a few malfuntions, but now its running smoothly. Sh*t happens. Thats why SA lifetime warranty is so awesome. Buy it, you wont regret it.

Btw mine is parkarized and I could not be happier.

esartori
04-29-2011, 8:59 PM
Get the parkerized, comes w night sights

PanchoVilla
04-29-2011, 9:05 PM
I have a parkerized one with night sights too. Its pretty good, I like it. Haven't had any issues with mine yet. has probably 1,000 rounds through it. Only think I have considered changing is the trigger. Lighter pull might be nice. Springfield is one of the brands I have 0 qualms about buying used due to their excellent warranty reputation.

deac777
04-29-2011, 9:19 PM
I got a SA parkerized 1911 that I bought 20 years ago. Granted that I changed out the barrel and many parts, I have over 30,000 rounds through it and it still shoots like it is new.

Gryff
04-29-2011, 9:22 PM
I got a Loaded back in 2009. Good gun, but not perfect. The quality control needs a little work, since of the three I looked it, two had unbelievably stiff thumb safeties, and one had the heaviest trigger I've felt on a 1911.

On the one that I ended up with, the slide release is extremely stiff (to the point of being functionally unusable without polishing), and the thumb safety has an edge on it that nearly slices into my thumb when I shoot. Additionally, the mag release doesn't allow any non-Springfield mags to drop free.

I got the gun for a great price, so these issues are not heartbreakers. But I am going to have to put $$$ into the gun before it is pleasant to use.

cindynles
04-29-2011, 9:42 PM
I've had mine for a little over a month now. 380 (300 UMC, 60 WWB, 20 PDX1 HP) rounds so far with no issues. I'm very happy with it. I got it for $849 (model PX9109LP) with Trijicon Novak Night Sites.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/IMG_0869.jpg

rorschach
04-29-2011, 10:06 PM
I have 3 Springers, (Mil-Spec, Loaded, and Ultra-Compact) and love them all. After 350 rounds or so, they have broken in nicely, and function flawlessly with good mags. It's been my experience that the factory mags are shyte, I ditched them and got some Wilson 47D's. Colt factory mags, Tripp Research, and CMC Powermags are excellent as well.

I bought my Springfields new in 2001 and 2002, maybe the Springfield factory mags have improved since then. Either way, you cant go wrong with a Springer.

mnishimura00
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/mnishimura00/IMG_4148.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/mnishimura00/IMG_4149.jpg

I like to whip it out and play with it whenever I can. Don't forget to give it the occasional lube job.

PROS:

It's a timeless design, one of the slickest looking pistols ever made. How many other 100 year old designs have a following like the 1911?

45 ACP. A real hard hitter.

Heavy. Can double as a blunt force weapon at close quarters.

Full length guide rod. Keeps the slide aligned with the frame at all times.

CONS:

It's a timeless design... and has 100 year old problems. KIDDING!

45 ACP. Over 2x the cost of 9mm.

Heavy. Not for concealed carry!

Full length guide rod. Not John Moses Browning's original design.

Overall, I love the gun. Scratches are easier to fix on stainless too. This model had everything I was looking for and the price was right. I also slapped on some hogue wraparound grips cuz it feels awesome in my hand. As always, YMMV.

OutkastSL
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I love mine. It bought it used and it had a 4 lbs trigger job, colt sear spring and ed brown trigger. I got ride of the FLGR and got a new extended slide lock.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/OutkastSL/Springfield%201911%20Loaded/_MG_6506.jpg

sirgiles
04-29-2011, 10:56 PM
fyi: all MIM parts.
great starter 1911 to do mods on.

tacticalcity
04-29-2011, 11:02 PM
An advantage of stainless over black (like my Kimber which is black) is that you can always clean up a stainless with some flitz polish and a soft rag. Once you get a scratch on a black gun, it is there for good. But most the scratches on a stainless can be removed. Of course, stainless shows a lot more scratches as well.

That said, unless it is your BBQ gun (safe queen that only gets pulled out for fancy events) then it is going to get scratched up no matter what and that is just the way it is. I train pretty hard. My guns look like they just went through WWIII after a course or a training day. Afterwards I clean them up as best I can, flitz polish any stainless parts, and just chalk up the stuff that can't be rubbed away as the cost of staying proficient.

Personally I like the look of black better than stainless. But I do like the fact that you can polish a stainless and make it look almost new even after years of wear and tear.

One drawback to all steel 1911s is their weight. If you can afford one with an aluminum frame, it will make carry much more comfortable.

vincnet11
04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Where can you get a good replacement guide rod so you don't need a tool to disassemble? Also is this model on the roster?
http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_Loaded_Black_SS_Target_PX9152LP_A.jpg

sirgiles
04-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Where can you get a good replacement guide rod so you don't need a tool to disassemble? Also is this model on the roster?

replace with 1 piece guide rods only.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabid=8&categoryid=16048&categorystring=649***20766***8806***16006***

racky
04-30-2011, 12:31 AM
am i the only one here that likes the FLGR? :boat:

mnishimura00
04-30-2011, 1:11 AM
am i the only one here that likes the FLGR? :boat:

I think it has a sophisticated look. The FLGR, as well as the skeleton hammer, target sights, beavertail safety, lowered and flared ejection port, ambi safety and a wilson combat mag make a 100 year old design into a modern day weapon. If I wanted a WWI era lookalike shooter, I would have bought a Chiappa or RIA 1911.

I have no plans to replace my FLGR any time soon.

Gryff
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Where can you get a good replacement guide rod so you don't need a tool to disassemble?

I replaced the FLGR with a traditional non-full length model. Works great.

I like to whip it out and play with it whenever I can. Don't forget to give it the occasional lube job.

Were you able to type that with a straight face? :D

Bongos
04-30-2011, 5:57 PM
what people did not know about SA is the frame, slide, barrel and bushing is made and hand fitted in Brazil.. this is every SA.. how they are "made in the USA" is because that are assembled and more USA parts than Brazillian parts. It's been this way since the late 1970's when Springfield Inc bought the Springfield Armory name.. either way after decades of products, SA are top notch

BRANCHER
04-30-2011, 9:45 PM
My first pistol I ever bought was the parkeized loaded with night sights... I still shoot it and love it. Since it is my only 1911 with night sights is my HD pistol too... Have a few other 1911s... been thinking I might get a TRP to change this one as my new HD weapon... Want Surefire X400 for gunlight instead of handheld (accuracy not as good with Rodgers hold (my best hold for accuracy) as using a mounted light)... Everyone I know who has gotten a SA (Loaded, Operator or TRP) have loved them... not as much for GI / Milspec... SA are Good Guns... Almost bought another SA in 9mm the other day but was still in 30 day lockout (no 9mm jokes please) ... What can I say... I love 1911s... have other plastics and steel (Glock, XD, Kahr, Sig, IMI, Beretta, S&W) but it is always 1911s... OK I still like wheel guns over most semi's (blame that one on Pops)... except the 1911. Yep the 1911 Lust... Some people just don't get it... Their loss... ;)

JTROKS
05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I just picked up my Springfield 1911 9mm Target sights that I got in a trade. It looks like not even 50 rounds was fired though it. I was admiring the fit of the slide/frame and barrel/bushing. The slide to frame fit had just a little bit of play which won't effect accuracy much. The barrel bushing fit is very good, not a Les Baer fit, but I can't feel any play with the slide to bushing and barrel to bushing fit. The barrel upper lugs mates to the slide lugs nicely and at full lock-up I don't feel any side to side not vertical play. The barrel hood does have very little play with the slide breech face which takes a little from its' accuracy potential. The barrel has a fully supported chamber with integral feed ramp of the Wilson/Nowlin type. With all that said, I give it an 8 (ten as highest) for the fitting of these parts that is highly desirable in the accuracy department.

Now for the negatives. For these model to pass the CA drop/safety test they used a titanium firing pin and that calls for a heavy mainspring to insure ignition of all factory loads. Easily solved - I got a spare 38 Super firing pin and spring and it took only a minute of polishing to get it slide tightly, but smoothly through the breechface. I replaced the mainspring with a lighter one and instantly improved the 8 lb trigger pull. The full length recoil spring guide is a 2-piece and requires removal of the front piece to disassemble the gun. I had to shorten the front piece a little, polish it for smooth cycling and drill a hole in the middle of the shaft so I can disassemble the gun like the Wilson Combat type. I did Locktite the two piece with industrial grade type to prevent losing the front piece. Believe me, after a few thousand rounds and disassemblies that 2 piece FLRG will come apart during shooting. This pistol has the safety lock located in the mainspring housing and I'm so sad they ruined a nice checkered stainless mainspring housing to install such a useless safety.

All she needs now is s little bit of cleaning and she's ready for the first shooting session. If anyone cares how the range session went just PM me.

iareConfusE
05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
This thing is super delicious.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/iareconfuse/DSC02090.jpg