PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Barrel Paper Weight

quig
04-29-2011, 3:46 PM
So I recently acquired a Glock 29 (10mm) and decided to look around for a drop-in conversion barrel in 40sw. I came across a Calgunner (newer member) who was selling one off. I asked who was the manufacturer, shot count, etc. This barrel was second-hand to him and he was not sure. He also said it was never fired by him, but it fit in the gun.

Well, I took a chance. I new the risks of the new Calgunner, the lack of knowledge of the barrel, etc. And, I paid the price.

The barrel, flat-out, does not fit. I don't know how this barrel even fit in a G29. There is no way this is operator error. The barrel is unmarked, so I don't know who to talk to about the fit. Did I get a barrel that needs to be fitted to my 29 vs a drop-in barrel?

On top of it all, the seller said "jam it" and it's my problem, "try to sell it." But how can I sell something that doesn't work?

Has any body had a similar issue with a conversion barrel? Am I stuck with a paper weight?

I can't even leave neg feedback because he was banned for a different issue.

IronColt
04-29-2011, 3:56 PM
no markings at all? post a pic and see if someone can ID it for you.

themailman
04-29-2011, 3:59 PM
negative feedback incoming...

quig
04-29-2011, 4:16 PM
Nope no marking at all. I'll post a pic later, but I doubt it will help.

quig
04-29-2011, 4:17 PM
negative feedback incoming...

???

Riodog
04-29-2011, 4:58 PM
This is getting to be "rag on CG members" week.

Most barrels need some fitting as a totally "drop-in" is not going to give the accuracy that a fitted barrel will. I don't know if any Glock barrels are so marked cuz I do not and will not have one around the house so someone else can answer that question.

Getting back to "let's rag on members week". I will say that it's my opinion that if I sell anything to anyone and they're not happy then they get their money back. PERIOD. (providing they have not f**ked it up but I can usually fix it anyway).

I've got a 6" clark barrel in 10mm and a 5" 40 including slide, links, bushing, etc that have been fitted to a Para frame and they won't "drop-in" to any of my Colt frames. It would take some work to make them work. (No not for sale.)

Guess I'm more concerned with my own integrity than I am with $.
Let a gunsmith see what you have and go from there.
Rio

Bedpan Bandit
04-29-2011, 5:16 PM
I got a Lone Wolf barrel for my G21 that just plain sucked. No problems fitting it but it jammed every other shot. If you have a Lone Wolf you can usually tell by the goofy wolf engraved on it, but some are sold unmarked.

quig
04-29-2011, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the input Rio.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/lafdquig/e0e075b3.jpg

Stock:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/lafdquig/8a5ddd27.jpg

Conversion:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/lafdquig/a8362c97.jpg

Stock:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/lafdquig/1131fdc3.jpg

Conversion:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/lafdquig/34e47ec6.jpg

five.five-six
04-29-2011, 5:29 PM
you should clean your gun

quig
04-29-2011, 5:31 PM
Thanks. It is now clean. This was right after shooting.

zdragon
04-29-2011, 5:39 PM
Has any body had a similar issue with a conversion barrel? Am I stuck with a paper weight?

i've bought 3 conversion barrels for my G23 and not a single issue....last one was bought about a month ago from LW(40-9). It was a direct dropin and it was quite accurate.

Oceanbob
04-29-2011, 5:48 PM
So I recently acquired a Glock 29 (10mm) and decided to look around for a drop-in conversion barrel in 40sw. I came across a Calgunner (newer member) who was selling one off. I asked who was the manufacturer, shot count, etc. This barrel was second-hand to him and he was not sure. He also said it was never fired by him, but it fit in the gun.

Well, I took a chance. I new the risks of the new Calgunner, the lack of knowledge of the barrel, etc. And, I paid the price.

The barrel, flat-out, does not fit. I don't know how this barrel even fit in a G29. There is no way this is operator error. The barrel is unmarked, so I don't know who to talk to about the fit. Did I get a barrel that needs to be fitted to my 29 vs a drop-in barrel?

On top of it all, the seller said "jam it" and it's my problem, "try to sell it." But how can I sell something that doesn't work?

I can't even leave neg feedback because he was banned for a different issue.

Why won't it fit yours?..did he lie to you..?

Where are you..?..in Southern Cal..?...It appears that barrel isn't right for the G29

Did you hold the barrel up next to your stock 10MM barrel to see how the dimensions are different..?..that's what I would do.

Voo
04-29-2011, 5:48 PM
It's kind of hard to figure out what barrel you have if there are no markings. Maybe if you posted a picture, someone with the same barrel might recognize it and indicate who the manufacturer was. That would at least be a start.

Other than that, it does seem like the seller did pull a fast one. Glock tolerances are so loose that drop in barrels should literally, drop in without fitting. But it's also possible though, that the barrel did fit the seller's gun.

Good luck with getting this sorted out..