PDA

View Full Version : Legal to bring my Ca-Legal AR with me on a hump up the local mountain?

boxster02
11-23-2006, 10:30 PM
:confused:

blkA4alb
11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
If you would bring a regular rifle then there is no reason you shouldn't bring the AR. Just make sure you know your laws.

boxster02
11-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Yea I understand that it is the same as a normal rifle... Ive looked around on the DOJ website, but I have trouble finding relevant information on carrying a rifle in public on public roads...

blkA4alb
11-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Yea I understand that it is the same as a normal rifle... Ive looked around on the DOJ website, but I have trouble finding relevant information on carrying a rifle in public on public roads...
In your car?

Tweak338
11-23-2006, 11:00 PM
i hope so..

hiking with an AR on your back is asking for a lot of trouble

boxster02
11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
NO, humping would not be in the car. Is there a CLEAR rule on bringing a loaded ca-legal ar in maybe a state park or something?

Tweak338
11-23-2006, 11:14 PM
you would have to check with the state park on firarms and such..

rayra
11-23-2006, 11:32 PM
If you would bring a regular rifle then there is no reason you shouldn't bring the AR. Just make sure you know your laws.Make sure you know them, make sure the local authorities know them, make sure the rangers know them AND print them out and take them with you.
And give us an after-action report when you are stopped and harassed, anyway.

rayra
11-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Check the BLM website. call your local sheriff's office, call your local ranger station. Ask them all. They'll all ask 'why' and you should know your answer to that question before it is asked. And be quite clear that you are not hunting or poaching with it.
Simpler thing to do is ask them as a follow-up question after inquiring about public shooting regulations in that unincorporated / rural land.
There are several overlapping jurisdictions / bodies of law, and none of the officials know much beyond their own slice of them (and sometimes not even then).
Can't do it if you are within City limits, or a State or National park, can in the National forests / most BLM land / unincorporated / rural land.

xenophobe
11-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Is there a CLEAR rule on bringing a loaded ca-legal ar in maybe a state park or something?

There is no 'clear rule'. DOJ has not offered any documentation of 'CA-legal ARs' with the exception of Vulcan/Hesse, FAB-10, the California Carbon-15 and a few others.

The DOJ has not sent any information regarding Off-List rifles to law enforcement communities within the state.

boxster02
11-24-2006, 12:19 AM
The DOJ has not sent any information regarding Off-List rifles to law enforcement communities within the state.

Local Police could detain me because they were not informed properly? My Ar complies with the ca-assault specs that we all have followed.... What do you think?

tenpercentfirearms
11-24-2006, 8:01 AM
Local Police could detain me because they were not informed properly? My Ar complies with the ca-assault specs that we all have followed.... What do you think?
That is correct. They could detain you. Carry a copy of any of the DOJ letters that say an unlisted receiver that doesn't have evil features is ok and know PC 12276.1 and CCR 978.20 by heart. If they want to take your rifle, unless you know how to explain to them in a calm and rational manner, they very well could take it. Isn't California lovely?

fairfaxjim
11-24-2006, 10:49 AM
You didn't say "which mountain", or where. Make sure you know exactly where you will be going, and who's or what's land that is. If it is private property, you need permission, preferrably in writing (double + if it is posted), to be there, and it still could be (any land) in a no shooting area. The county sherrif will be the best one to check for no shooting areas. If it is BLM land, best to check with the district ranger's, but probably ok. If it is CA state park property, NO WAY! They specifically prohibit firearms in their parks.

cornholio1
11-24-2006, 10:58 AM
But an AR would be okay for hunting right? we are just answering if its okay to hunt with? Thanks

RANGER295
11-24-2006, 4:59 PM
I know that there are people on here that think that I am overcautious and will probably get on my case for what I am about to say. People have already addressed the legality of carrying it in different areas so letís say for the sake of argument it is legal where you are going. Why do you want to take it? I think it is a great idea to take a side arm hiking and I try to plan my hiking, backpacking, and car camping trips around gun laws so that I am in an area where I can carry. I think for hiking a pistol is more practical. Granted it isnít as good a combat weapon if you needed it but it is lighter and has a less confrontational appearance. Letís say you take a rifle. If you want it for defense why not take an SKS, Mini-14, SU-16, or whatever else you have? They will serve you just as well but not carry the risk. If someone sees you on the trail and calls the ranger on you (this has happened to me) it wonít be ďthere is some guy with a gun out thereĒ. It will be ďthere is some guy with a machine gun out thereĒ which is what most people think an AR is when they see it. When I have run into rangers with a holstered side arm, it is usually a pleasant encounter where we just chat and go our separate ways. If they get the message that there is some nut with a machine gun or an AW out there it will get a response you really donít want. Just because you can do something doesnít mean you should. I donít hide the fact that I have guns. I carry whenever I can. But I try not to attract undue attention. I would rather avoid a problem rather than fight my way out of it later. I am not telling you donít do it, I just would use one of the other options first. Anyway that is just my $0.02 worth.

TonyNorCal
11-24-2006, 5:23 PM
The first thing is to make absolutely certain you're not in violation of any law where you intend to go. I wouldn't take a buddies word for it either, I'd check with the agency relevant to the land you'll be on.

That said, an AR style rifle is going to attract more attention than say a bolt action rifle. We see that in our lame laws...rifles that 'look mean' scare people more. So if they're people around that aren't gun people that's something to consider. Someone could call the cops and say 'there's some guy running around out here with a machine gun' simple because they're paranoid and don't know better.

Now, regarding the cops...yes you could be detained...or possibly even arrested (less likely) by an LEO who isn't familiar with the OLL situation...and many aren't. Assuming your gun is configured properly it should end up ok...but getting arrested or having a gun confiscated or spending an hour sitting in a police car doesn't seem like much fun. As others have said, I would certainly bring some documentation with me and be prepared to explain what makes me gun legal. I know that sucks *** to even have to think that way in a free country....but it's prudent to be prepared. I also don't want people to get paranoid or make it seem like a negative encounter with the cops is likely, but to play this game it is important to be aware of what could happen. It's also likely that there's more risk involved in spending a day hiking around with an OLL rifle than driving to and from a shooting site and having the rifle out in that static location for a few hours.

SemiAutoSam
11-24-2006, 5:33 PM
The Short answer: Yes its most likely legal to bring your OLL rifle depending on the area you go and what jurisdiction it is federal or state.

The Smart answer: DON'T as your asking for trouble.

Is it worth the hassle of potential arrest ? charges being filed, having to hire an expensive attorney ? Answer NO so don't do it.