PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 20-gauge 00 buck

Dr. T
11-23-2006, 9:34 PM
I'm looking for 20 gauge 00 buck for the new 20-gauge Benelli I'm buying. I'm looking for the equivalent of Hornady TAP or Federal Premium Flite-Control shells that work so well in my 12-gauge Benelli M2.
Any recommendations you could give would be appreciated.

kermit
12-23-2006, 7:42 PM
I don't have any recommendations for you, but I was considering a 20 ga BPS for home Defense. It does look like the buckshot would be effective based on the BoxOTruth tests.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm
(It's the second page in this test)

I wonder why the 20 ga slug did not fair as well. If he was too close (compared to hunting conditions) for the slug to hold together, then perhaps the buck shot is the better choice for across-the-room distances.

M. Sage
12-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Can you get 00B for a 20 gauge? IMO, regular 3 or 4 buck would work fine... I didn't have trouble with it on white tails back in Michigan, and those are quite a bit tougher than a human.

I put a white tail deer down HARD with a 20 gauge slug (in the shoulder, not the head) once. Trust me, it's overkill on what goes on two legs. It was about 10 yards away. Note the disclaimer at the top of that BoT page:

According to a recognized expert, DocGKR, "Be aware that water generally reveals the maximum upset which can occur to a projectile in soft tissue -your actual result in living tissue may be somewhat less.

Maximum upset = even if the bullet fragments in water jugs, it might not in flesh.

Honestly, after using a 20 gauge to hunt deer and other critters, I have no idea why people slag on the caliber for home defense. It's still plenty powerful, and has slightly lower recoil than a 12 gauge.

I'd be interested to see some tests with those TEST tubes they sell on Midway now. I'm planning on getting one this spring for some fun and games.

anotherone
12-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Slugs are serious ownage. I've seen foster type slugs completely devestate even the largest feral pigs and take down some pretty serious deer. One friend of mine took a 10 pointer at 150 yards this season using one of the new sabot slugs from a rifled shotty. Those Hornady sabot slugs are CRAZY accurate!

This all being said slugs, 3/4 buck, or anything similar will be more than enough to accompish home defense purposes. Humans are so frail compared to game animals. Heck even a 3.5 inch magnum steel shot bird shell would seriously mess anything up.

m4rcus
12-26-2006, 7:23 AM
If you are using slugs for home defense, you better make sure your neighbors are wearing body armor. And get yourself a good lawyer.