View Full Version : MonsterMan AR15 Grip vs. Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock with pictures.

11-23-2006, 8:18 PM
Here is the MonsterMan AR15 Grip vs. Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock thread. I took them out on Thanksgiving in what was a great day for shooting. Nice and cool and overcast. We went to a range here in the Taft area that has metal gongs all the way out to 600 yards or so (itís hidden; you will have to find it on your own).

Our test upper was a LMT MRP CQB 5.56 16Ē upper with a RRA Military Style Muzzle Brake. First of all, I highly recommend you donít buy this brake! I hated it. It is super loud and you can feel the blast coming back at you. Before I put it on the standard A2 flash suppressor was much better. I even managed to switch barrels to the 16Ē 6.8mm barrel with the flash suppressor (I had a fixed mag LMT lower handy) and that was much nicer than shooting the 5.56mm with that RRA Military Brake.

Ok, back to the two stocks. Both stocks shot rather well. We shot at least 200 rounds today and both stocks were fun. Letís just list pros and cons.

MonsterMan AR15 Grip Pros
Cost $35
Easy to reach the magazine release
Easy to reach an ambidextrous selector
No way to call it a thumbhole stock

MonsterMan AR15 Grip Cons
Even though it costs $35, you still have to buy a $55 stock and a $25 ambidextrous safety
Not as controllable with one hand
Might not be as heavily constructed
No DOJ approval

Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock Pros
A fairly comfortable grip with good control
Complete set up in one package (comes with grip, extension, buffer, spring)
Very sturdy construction

Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock Cons
Cost is $185
Canít reach the magazine release with shooting hand very easily
Would benefit from having a hex head screw in the package
No DOJ approval

So when it comes down to it, I think I like the MonsterMan AR15 Grip a little better than the Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock. My reasoning is that if I want a long range precision upper, I will probably go with the fixed magazine build because having a 30 round magazine wonít matter as much. When I want to use a 30 round magazine, I would want to be able to make tactical reloads with quick access to the magazine release and use a lighter weight upper that wouldnít need as much of a controllable grip.

However, it might be nice to have a U-15 on a 20Ē precision upper and have detachable 10 round magazines for driving around with an unloaded gun that can easily be loaded. I have found that when driving on public land having a fixed 10 round magazine is a pain to load and reload and the control and stability of a U-15 along with detachable magazines might come in handy. Plus, you never know when Communists or terrorists might surround your truck and you might need to rock and roll!

For those of you with more lowers than you know what to do with (like me), then you will probably want a MosnterMan AR15 Grip and a Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock in your arsenal. As more people get a hold of the U-15, I think you will find plenty of opinions both ways on which one they like best, so the best way to find out is just buy one of each! :D

11-23-2006, 8:41 PM
I'm really starting to dig that U15 stock, thanks for the reviews Bro!

11-23-2006, 8:49 PM
Do you have any photos demonstrating how well the U-15 works while riding a scooter?

11-23-2006, 9:08 PM
Do you have any photos demonstrating how well the U-15 works while riding a scooter?
You had to ask didn't you?

11-23-2006, 9:18 PM

LOL Well that settles it. A U-15 stock is now on my Christmas list.

11-23-2006, 10:51 PM

I was going to ask also... What's funny/scary is that you already had the pictures ready.

Can we request one with it slung over your shoulder?

11-23-2006, 11:19 PM
LOL Well that settles it. A U-15 stock is now on my Christmas list.
+1 there! :D

11-24-2006, 1:47 AM
Well Wes, you made me do it. Monsterman already ordered from you. Scarecrow Repair is an office mate and he already picked up a U-15 for me. I picked up two more lowers so that will leave me with 3 pinned mags and 2 detachables with stock alternatives.

11-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the review of the RRA brake. The same one you sold me last week!

Just giving you hell. Looks like you had fun. You have to show me the secret range when I come up next weekend with 3 more guys to buy lowers!

11-24-2006, 11:14 AM

HAHAHAH! Hilarious. :D

11-24-2006, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the write-up. I'm glad I went w/ the RRA Tactical Muzzle brake instead of the military-style. Hopefully it's a little quieter.

Question on the stocks though. I'm planning on going gripless as I want to do some Tactical Rifle competition up here and detachable mags are huge plus.

I held a U-15 at SJGE last week and it seemed to allow me to hit the mag release one-handed and seemed to allow better one-handed control (I've never used a MM Grip before) for doing doing mag changes and such. It just doesn't seem like the MM Grip would allow you to support the rifle one-handed while reloading.

Can you expand a little on doing mag changes w/ the MM Grip?

11-24-2006, 1:53 PM
It is true, it is a bit of a chore to hold up the MMG with one hand and do mag changes, but I messed with it and it is possible. The main problem "I" had with the U-15 was my short hands didn't allow for me to comfortably get a hold of the magazine release without using my other hand to support the rifle. Yes you will get a better one handed grip with the U-15, but I found it put me back to far that I had a hard time getting that one finger up to the magazine release. So if I were going to shoot in a three gun match, I think I would go with the MMG. Again, this is my opinion and you might get a hold of a U-15 and have long fingers and it might be fine.

And this is why you get one of each!

11-24-2006, 3:14 PM
Wes, I hope you don't mind but I want to share my experience with the U-15 on this thread.

I have the SRB, MMG and U-15. So I have some experience with them all.

I took the U-15 out today for the first time. This grip/stock kicks butt. It is easy to hold and points natually. I did not use the foam on the buffer tube and don't plan on installing it. I was able to get a good cheek weld without it. I have larger hands and I was able to reach the mag release with out any trouble. My brother noticed less recoil but he does not have a Y Comp muzzle brake on his fixed mag rifle either. He was also in the Marines infantry division (also did a tour in Iraq 2 years ago) and has a hell a lot more experience with the AR style rifle than I do. So you can take his comment for what it is worth. He also enjoyed shooting the U-15 configured rifle.

I think each of the three products listed above have their place but the U-15 is currently my favorite. I think the my U-15 rifle convinced my brother to get one also.

Oh, if you did not purchase any C Product 10/10 mags from Wes yet, you should. The anti-tilt followers are very nice.

11-24-2006, 3:24 PM
Wes, Might it be fair to say that the MM is a better match with short barreled/light weight uppers and the U-15 is better suited for long/heavy uppers.

11-24-2006, 8:40 PM

Lookout! Its Taft SWAT! :D

11-24-2006, 8:41 PM
Wes, you are one funny (and Sexy, I might add:D ) guy. Those GQ pics are GREAT and the pic on the scooter just had me rolling. Were you the class clown back in school? Are you still the class clown even as a teacher?:D

Shot Ivanimal's today and I really liked it but I have larger hands. Seems like those with small hands should hold it first before buying.

11-24-2006, 9:00 PM
Anyone and everyone can post whatever their experiences with either one of these systems in this thread. This is not a for sale thread, just a "what I think" thread.

Even though I think I like the MonsterMan better myself, everyone who came into my shop today was impressed with the U-15. I think I might be in the minority. Again, if you are like me and have 10 lowers, there is plenty of space for both!

11-24-2006, 11:23 PM
How about having 11 lowers. I want to trade away my bushy carbon-15!

11-25-2006, 1:05 AM
A oversized mag release button or custom extended mag release button(w/ enough material to allow your finger to reach) may address the mag issue on the U-15 stock.

Here's some pics of when my OLL build had a oversize mag release button(currently it's fixed mag, but I have parts to go gripless again should I desire to-the few outings of detachable mag fun were rough on my ammo budget! lol)

I bought my oversized mag release button here: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=427521

They also offer this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=733579

I have a Monsterman grip/ami safety and SRB and tried them both. I just like shooting my OLL(and looking at it!:p ) with the pistol grip so damn much! I have all my parts though just in case I change my mind or buy more lowers!:D

11-25-2006, 2:57 PM
I wonder if the U-15 could be adapted to the SIG 556?

Sure, might have to tweak it a little and as far as I know there are now buffer tubes on the 556.

11-25-2006, 3:10 PM
I went to the Costa Mesa show today and met Grant in person. Very cool guy, and he seemed to be a booming business. He did not think he would leave the show with any inventory. I bought a stock from him, as his display rifles felt pretty natural in a shooting position. I look forward to trying it out.

11-25-2006, 3:59 PM
Judging by the amount of people that wanted to shoot mine at the shootnQ I have a feeling he will sell a lot of these. My 11 year old son had no problem shooting it. The Monsterman grip, was also easy to hold and shoot for him as well.

11-25-2006, 5:54 PM
i tryed them both the cm jerky show hands down the u15 is more comfortable. I was going to buy another ace socom 4 for my ar-10 but now the u15 is going on my long range ar-15 lower and i will moove the socom to the ar-10.. all are welcom to try it at big johns camp n shoot

11-25-2006, 9:30 PM
Also met Grant today aty CM. Bought one of his stocks, and got it built right away upon getting home.

I have big hands and the stock works well for me, but even my wife could reach the mag release.

Ambi safety is a must for one handed operation. Holding for extended periods still seems a little odd. I'll post a range report Monday I hope.

Great stock. Takes some time getting used to the look, and seems more natural on those rifles with a flat top and optics.

The U-15 and a carry handle is still a little weird, but I'm getting used to it fast.

Grant is a great guy, and did all of us a favor. get one of his stocks ASAP!

Darin Prince Prince50 Designs.

11-25-2006, 10:32 PM
I was at the Costa Mesa show..and met Grant at his table. Handling the U-15 felt very good and it seemed to point well with his demo guns there. It wasn't a hard decision to buy one.

Cost = $185.00
Warm feeling inside that I will soon be able to 'drop' my magazine = priceless

Grant, it was very good to meet you in person.

11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Umm. Why the heck do you guys have photos of you sitting on some scooters, holding OLL's? :) Very interesting. And weird at the same time.

11-27-2006, 1:33 PM

This dates back to a photo essay Wes put on where he did his best Paul Revere and rode his scooter around California proclaiming "The listing is coming."

It was, however, a false alarm.

11-27-2006, 2:08 PM
Wes, I'd hide that pic.

It's just so, um, "gay" - with those scooters.

11-27-2006, 3:54 PM
Wes, I'd hide that pic.

It's just so, um, "gay" - with those scooters.
This from a guy who lives in the bay and builds OLLs in bed with his cats? :eek:

02-13-2007, 1:44 PM
GOOD REVIEW... this is exactly what I was looking for! Funny on the scooters... Good pix to, thanks Wes!

02-13-2007, 3:15 PM
This from a guy who lives in the bay and builds OLLs in bed with his cats? :eek:

02-13-2007, 3:25 PM
You need to mount those ARs to the handle bars!

02-13-2007, 5:55 PM
Toolbox X U-15 Grip/Stock Cons
Cost is $185
Can’t reach the magazine release with shooting hand very easily
Would benefit from having a hex head screw in the package

I have short fingers and only have to alter my grip slightly to reach the mag release.
It does come with a Allen head screw in the package.

I also think you understate the controllability of the stock quite a bit. You have more leverage and control over a U-15 equipped rifle than you do with the standard pistol grip configuration. Try holding a complete rifle one handed with the U-15, and then with a standard configuration. You'll see exactly what I mean.

Another plus that you fail to mention is that the angle you hold the U-15 is much more comfortable than a standard pistol grip for prone shooting.

02-13-2007, 9:02 PM
sweet i always wanted to know if my u-15 would work on my scooter..

02-13-2007, 9:07 PM
I can see the advantage of a u-15 grip, I just don't care for the look with the stock "open" like that. if it closed in the area between the buffer tube and the stock I would get one.

02-13-2007, 9:26 PM
than the reach would be to far that would defeat the reason for the stock..just run an a2 with no pistol grip

02-14-2007, 5:47 AM
I can see the advantage of a u-15 grip, I just don't care for the look with the stock "open" like that. if it closed in the area between the buffer tube and the stock I would get one.

That would make it illegal.

02-15-2007, 1:27 PM
That would make it illegal.

Please explain how that would make it illegal. You would still not be able to get a pistol style grasp. It would look kinda like an oar stock.

Again, that was just my personal opinion. I think it is great to have as many options as possible to get a legal AR.

02-15-2007, 1:45 PM
I think Wulf is interpreting closing the area between the buffer tube and the stock to also leave a thumb hole. I still don't think a thumb hole above the action of the rifle would constitute a banned thumb hole stock as it still retains a traditional rifle grip which is not illegal based on the spirit of the law which seeks to ban pistol-like grips that allows "one-handed operation and random spraying of bullets to cause maximum carnage".

Interesting story, last time I tried the one-handed spaying technique during a tactical class I missed everything I was trying to hit and got yelled at and ridiculed by the instructor. That's the last time I take shooting tips from a gun grabber.