PDA

View Full Version : AK Draco Legal Question

xxxx
04-29-2011, 9:56 AM
I am throwing around the idea of purchasing a Draco AK-47, I shot one and it was real fun and they are very reasonably priced.

The question is - if I wanted could I attach something to the barrel making it 16" and add a stock basically making it a rifle? Could I use a MM grip and my standard cap mags then?

Quiet
04-29-2011, 6:14 PM
The question is - if I wanted could I attach something to the barrel making it 16" and add a stock basically making it a rifle? Could I use a MM grip and my standard cap mags then?

Yes. You can legally make your handgun into a rifle.
However, once you make your handgun into a rifle, it will now be a rifle and you can not legally make it back into a handgun, unless you have BATFE approval to make a SBR.

Whatever muzzle device you use to increase the barrel length to 16" must be permanently attached.
Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

davek8s
04-29-2011, 6:15 PM
Ok, I'm no legal expert. As i understand it, you can turn a pistol into a rifle. But, not a rifle into a pistol. A Thomson Contender is the perfect example. If you register it as a pistol you can put a 16 inch barrel and butt stock on it no problem. But if you buy a Contender rifle its illegal to make it a pistol. Its all the same frame and parts. Just a difference in reg.
Hope that helps and maybe someone else can give a better legal definition.