PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 Optics

Bluhdow!
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
So I just picked up a little Marlin 795. My goal is to put together the cheapest little .22 plinker that I can. So the 795 was a great start.

The next step is to put a scope on it. With my goal in mind, what is the cheapest scope/rings that I can mount on there that's not complete garbage.

Just looking for something to do the job sufficiently well, but not so well that it's going to cost more than the rifle.

Thanks!

Fish-n-Shoot
04-29-2011, 10:28 AM
I would highly recommend a centerpoint scope from walmart. 3-9 should be plenty although i went with the 4-16 for myself on my marlin 795. Holds zero, feels like quality, very very good scope for the money. Had it on a 30-06 for about 3 weeks with 3 shooting trips and didn't lose zero a single time. Only drawback is its a little heavy but not too bad.

bombadillo
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
If you want a great little scope but may look a little goofy, you can get a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 for $99 at SWFA.com Great little scope with parallax adjustment down to 25 yards I believe. Its a bit big, but the rimfire guys usually like the higher power scopes.

Another place to look is www.natchezss.com for their clearance scopes. You can get a great deal on things like Brunton, Truglo, Burris, Simmons, and lots of other lower end scopes that still look good enough for a .22lr. I got a Truglo 6-24x50 for 20" target AR and it was good enough that my cheapo spotting scope at the time was worse at 30x than my cheap $50 scope was at 20!! Now and again you can find great deals but if you're not in a hurry you're good to go.

MaHoTex
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I would highly recommend a centerpoint scope from walmart. 3-9 should be plenty although i went with the 4-16 for myself on my marlin 795. Holds zero, feels like quality, very very good scope for the money. Had it on a 30-06 for about 3 weeks with 3 shooting trips and didn't lose zero a single time. Only drawback is its a little heavy but not too bad.

+1 on the Centerpoint. Maybe the best $50 I have spent in a VERY long time.
As for the Heavy comment... The Marlin 795 can use some extra wieght anyway. It is actually a big plus in this instance.

shooterdude
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM

+1 on the 3-9 Centerpoint. I have one on my Savage Mark2 and it is a great product for the price and the application.

Bluhdow!
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Cool, I'll check these all out.

Thank you for your input!

Bluhdow!
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Also, any ring reccomendations? I'm not even sure what will/won't work on the Marlin.

MaHoTex
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Centerpoint comes with the correct rings. Just buy it and put it on. You will be happy with it.

whipkiller
04-30-2011, 4:03 PM
I don't recall seeing any scopes in my local Wallyworld. (Shawline, Kearny Mesa)

Are you guys getting these in-store or off the Walmart.com?

MaHoTex
04-30-2011, 4:25 PM
In the store...

Izzy43
04-30-2011, 7:08 PM
The Marlin 60 and 795 have an issue with scope creep on the receiver rail so be aware of that when shooting. Loctite (blue) is your friend.

pontiacpratt
04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I bought a 3-9 Tasco scope at Wal-mart. With rings included total price a whopping $16. Scope creep has been a issue kinda but it's seems to be every 1,000 rounds. Holds zero well.

choprzrul
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Cabelas had Nikon Prostaff on sale for as low as $99. Don't know if it is still going or not, but my wife sure likes the one I put on her 795.

Rigma
05-01-2011, 2:01 AM
The Marlin 60 and 795 have an issue with scope creep on the receiver rail so be aware of that when shooting. Loctite (blue) is your friend.

I first used a cheap Wally POS and returened it. This scope had served me well and was kind on the wallet as well. I did need to use a little Loctite after a bit of walking on the first outing, but it has stayed put since.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/15199-34.html

bombadillo
05-01-2011, 8:38 AM
Check out a bushnell banner dawn and dusk series 3-9x40 or similar. You can get one for 69 bucks or so from data.com

WilliamAnderson
05-01-2011, 1:23 PM
THIS system is really fun on my 795. I got a BSA rd30 red dot mounted it and took off the front sight. Cheap to do and really damn fun to shoot.

azlester
05-01-2011, 1:54 PM
To throw out another suggestion is the Simmons 22mag 3-9-32 AO scope and the Leepers 1 pc scope mount here:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805
Lots of people on Rimfire Central really like this mount. I think that you can find the same mount at Optics Planet and a few other places on the net. The mount seems to really take care of any movement of the rings that happens with the 3/8 inch dovetails.
I have the Simmons scope and love it. The glass is very clear and the AO(adjustable Objective lens) makes shooting at shorter distances a breeze. I think I paid $50 for mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It comes with rings and I have had no problem with mine on the 795. Just tighten the rings really good.

Izzy43
05-01-2011, 3:21 PM
To throw out another suggestion is the Simmons 22mag 3-9-32 AO scope and the Leepers 1 pc scope mount here:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Mount_w_1_Rings_3_8_Dovetail/805
Lots of people on Rimfire Central really like this mount. I think that you can find the same mount at Optics Planet and a few other places on the net. The mount seems to really take care of any movement of the rings that happens with the 3/8 inch dovetails.
I have the Simmons scope and love it. The glass is very clear and the AO(adjustable Objective lens) makes shooting at shorter distances a breeze. I think I paid $50 for mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It comes with rings and I have had no problem with mine on the 795. Just tighten the rings really good.

I have that same scope and I think its a great one for the money. Especially with the adjustable objective. It is not large and looks great on a rimfire rifle and as you said is very clear for a scope in that price range. Got mine at joeboboutfitters.com, $64 shipped to my door. Some folks say the rings that come with it are crap, but works fine on my Zastava Z5 and CZ Ultralux. Shot a 186 out of 200 score on this months 50yd scope target here on CGN with it mounted on the CZ. I also have the Leapers 4-16 and its a good scope for the money but looks a bit large on my rimfire rifles. I have also used it to shoot out to 100yds and it does pretty good.

azlester
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I just uploaded my video review of the Simmons 22mag scope on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=azpapales&aq=f

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions in the comment section of the video's on YouTube. Subscribe to get a notice of new updates videos I load up on firearms and accessories.