PDA

View Full Version : EMP Safety

gary t
04-29-2011, 9:25 AM
This is a duplicate thread. I mistakenly started this thread in the "Handgun Gallery" section by mistake. I'm hoping Admin can remove that thread.

I may have a problem with my EMP. The safety latch has some free play in the safety OFF position when the gun is un-cocked. The safety latch can be positioned up just enough to block the slide. This prevents racking the slide without thumbing down the safety. This doesnít seem like a good feature to have in an emergency situation. Once cocked the safety latch functions as designed and moves into the safety ON or FIRE position without play.

I have had this gun for some time now. I didnít notice this behavior earlier. Itís possible it has always been this way. I have dissembled the gun a few times but not down to the safety level. Anyone out there with an EMP notice this type of play in the safety? Is there something I should look for in the action assembly?

Thanks...gary

zfields
04-29-2011, 9:35 AM
The guns I own, you cant rack the slide without the saftey being off. I dont see how that would be an issue either way.

9mmepiphany
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
It could be something as simple as some crud in the plunger tube keeping the plunger from putting enough pressure on the body of the thumb safety to keep it from moving. You could try cleaning it out, but you'd have to disassemble it enough to remove your thumb safety assembly. There should not be enough vertical free play in the thumb safety for it to block the slide when the hammer is down

You might give Springfield Armory a call and see what they say

dfletcher
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
This is a duplicate thread. I mistakenly started this thread in the "Handgun Gallery" section by mistake. I'm hoping Admin can remove that thread.

I may have a problem with my EMP. The safety latch has some free play in the safety OFF position when the gun is un-cocked. The safety latch can be positioned up just enough to block the slide. This prevents racking the slide without thumbing down the safety. This doesnít seem like a good feature to have in an emergency situation. Once cocked the safety latch functions as designed and moves into the safety ON or FIRE position without play.

I have had this gun for some time now. I didnít notice this behavior earlier. Itís possible it has always been this way. I have dissembled the gun a few times but not down to the safety level. Anyone out there with an EMP notice this type of play in the safety? Is there something I should look for in the action assembly?

Thanks...gary

Did you change out any internal parts? New hammer?

I'm at work and am doing this from memory, but IIRC the stud on the thumb safety interacts with the left leading edge of the bottom of the hammer - when it's down it prevents the safety from moving up. Unless the part has been changed it's probably always been that way.

Again, I'm just doing this from memory.

gary t
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
The gun is stock. I have not contacted Springfield yet. I wanted to check with the brain trust here first.

I also has a Springfield 1911. But it does not behave the same way. The EMP's action is based on the 1911 geometry.

Andy Taylor
04-29-2011, 3:53 PM
The guns I own, you cant rack the slide without the saftey being off. I dont see how that would be an issue either way.

On a 1911 the safety should not be able to be on when the hammer is down.