PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what gen p226 this is?

Freq18Hz
04-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi,

Noob question here:

I recently purchased a p226 .40 that looks just like this pic. I'm noticing however that the the p226 on Sig's site looks different? Did I buy an older gun? If so, what are the differences?

Mine:
http://www.ugimports.com/shop/images/products/SG26R40BS_1.jpg

Sig's site:
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P226-Nitron-Ergo-Detail-L.jpg

-Freq

Cyc Wid It
04-29-2011, 1:04 AM
A grip kit upgrade (E2) which you can have applied to your current gun if you want (unless it's DAK IIRC).

Target19
04-29-2011, 1:36 AM
the second one is the E2 model grip...I think it comes with the SRT trigger and short trigger installed

sirgiles
04-29-2011, 4:41 AM
the second one is the E2 model grip...I think it comes with the SRT trigger and short trigger installed

and not on the california roster.

yzernie
04-29-2011, 6:41 AM
1st pic...Your style gun is still sold by the boat loads. It is still the standard P226 design.

2nd pic...The Sig pic gun is the newer E2 design that has the different grip, the SRT and short trigger installed at the factory. It also has slightly different markings on the slide. It may be on the roster in the future but as of right now it is not available in California.

Freq18Hz
04-29-2011, 7:26 AM
Ah ok thanks, just wanted to make sure this wasnt an older model.

Is the E2 upgrade easy? Sounds like it entails a lot more than just replacing the grips?

-Freq

Moto4Fun
04-29-2011, 8:11 AM
Just to help clear things up for me, how do you know if the 226 in the second pic is not on the CA Roster? Sig has been shipping standard 229s and (possibly 226s) with the E2 grip. While it does have the short REACH trigger (which most models seem to come from the factory with now), I don't believe they have the SRT (short RESET trigger). I am unsure as to how p226 are currently being shipped, but I am under the impression that they may be coming standard with the E2 type grip.

yzernie
04-29-2011, 8:18 AM
The E2 guns have a silver E2 on the right side of the slide...

hchan42
04-29-2011, 9:23 AM
1st pic...Your style gun is still sold by the boat loads. It is still the standard P226 design.

2nd pic...The Sig pic gun is the newer E2 design that has the different grip, the SRT and short trigger installed at the factory. It also has slightly different markings on the slide. It may be on the roster in the future but as of right now it is not available in California.

^^^i believe this to be correct...I've called sig, and they charge $150 for two way shipping and installation. The only aesthetic feature that changes with teh e2 grip (besides the grip) is the smaller decocking lever (per sig rep).

There was a kind calgunner (pls thank rubberduckie) that posted this link yesterday. It is for the e2 grip kit. It's selling for $56 inculding shpping. I've seen them on other sites and ebay ranging from about 80-100 dollars (even more on ebay), so I'm sure this site is offering a relative bargain. I just ordered mine yesterday, and i cant wait to get it in the mail!!!!

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....GRIPKIT-226-E2

hchan42
04-29-2011, 9:28 AM
Ah ok thanks, just wanted to make sure this wasnt an older model.

Is the E2 upgrade easy? Sounds like it entails a lot more than just replacing the grips?

-Freq

http://files.kensmith.de/Manual_for_installing_the_P226_E2_Grip_Kit_EN.pdf

It looks easy, but then again looking and doing something are completely different. Here are the instructions.

YOu basically replace the hammer strut and the decocking lever. Doesnt look too hard...

Moto4Fun
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Go to the Sig Forums for more support on SIG specific issues. Lots of good information there. FWIW many SIG purists are adamantly opposed to SIG shipping their standard p-series pistols with the E grips.

rubber duckie
04-29-2011, 10:41 AM
e2 grip is a very easy install. for my 226 equinox i didnt have to change the decocking '
lever (ymmv) . i just changed out the new hammer strut and mainspring seat, because when i changed out the supplied decocking lever it was rough and not as smooth as my old one.

as far as the short trigger and SRT kit, if you can do a complete disassemble it should be no problem to install both short trigger and SRT kit. im waiting for my LEO buddy to get me a SRT and if you want i can do a video on how to install everything.

GKO
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
My understanding is that the E2 guns are or will be discontinued. They were only offered briefly to "welcome" the new one-piece E2 grips that were/are going to be standard on all P-22X. As mentioned, the E2 guns will have "E2" on the slide as well as a short trigger, SRT (short reset trigger; not to be confused with the short trigger), and the E2 grips.

I was at a Turners a few weeks ago and they had a P229 with the new grips and the short trigger. I believe that is the configuration that will be standard so they will be available in Cali. The actual "E2" model is not on roster.

You can't tell that the gun pictured has an SRT as that's internal with a different trigger bar and a few other parts and allows for a faster/shorter reset after DA mode versus the short trigger which should be called a "short-reach" trigger, intended for people with smaller hands/fingers.

One needs a different hammer strut arrangement for the newer grip style and the old grips still work with "original parts". The P229 is going to be different, though, as the magwell has been enlarged to accommodate newer P229 mags.

yzernie
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
One thing for you guys to remember, Sig will not warranty the gun if you have made modifications to it or if things like the SRT kit is not installed by a certified Sig Armorer. Just an FYI.

hchan42
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
e2 grip is a very easy install. for my 226 equinox i didnt have to change the decocking '
lever (ymmv) . i just changed out the new hammer strut and mainspring seat, because when i changed out the supplied decocking lever it was rough and not as smooth as my old one.

as far as the short trigger and SRT kit, if you can do a complete disassemble it should be no problem to install both short trigger and SRT kit. im waiting for my LEO buddy to get me a SRT and if you want i can do a video on how to install everything.

Is it possible to get the short trigger and the short reset trigger kit without having to go thru sig? Just to be on the safe side (and i can't do a complete diassemble), i would try to get it installed by a gunsmith. I wonder how much the short trigger will help, as the reason i'm getting the e2 grip is b/c i have small-medium sized hands, and i would like a better grip.

hchan42
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
One thing for you guys to remember, Sig will not warranty the gun if you have made modifications to it or if things like the SRT kit is not installed by a certified Sig Armorer. Just an FYI.

dose that imply you have to send it back to the sig manufacturer? or just a certified sig armorer from any gun store/shop?

yzernie
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
A Sig certified armorer would be ok. I'm not talking about some gunsmith who will work on Sigs, I'm talking about an armorer who has been through the Sig sponsored armorer training courses.

rubber duckie
04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
im sure its easy as install , then return to factory once warranty work is needed.

hchan42
04-29-2011, 12:52 PM
im sure its easy as install , then return to factory once warranty work is needed.

do you mean for the SRT kit and short reset trigger?? or the e2 ergo kit?

the ergo kit looks easy to install. idk about the SRT kit and SRT, but let me know when you get yours how easy it is!!! i'd appreciate that, as that would help me decide to send it in, or do it myself. OR find a local certified sig armorer.

rubber duckie
04-29-2011, 3:29 PM
either the short reset trigger or short trigger. there isnt really that many parts and is really to take apart and put back together.

9mmepiphany
04-29-2011, 8:33 PM
None of it is hard to install...you do have to be able to detail strip a Sig...it is just parts replacement.

How much the factory warranty matters to you is a bigger factor...also your ability to get the SRT parts