PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen in love with a P226...

Ub3rDorK
04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I went to the range this evening and decided to rent one, and I wish I hadn't because I want one now...like right now.. It's absolutely amazing. I've never shot one before but the trigger is superb with a beautiful reset and it breaks like a dream. I shot it more than my 1911 that i've taken out only a few times... which I think is now going to end up being my second favorite now.

So I have my future father in law thats CHP....From my understanding he can buy guns that are not able to be purchased by regular civilians...like the P226 Combat (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-combat.aspx), then transfer it to me? I know the high caps stay with him but I know that the combat version comes in 10 round so that shouldn't be an issue...

is this correct? Or will I only be able to get a regular P226?

S dot
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
PPT is good to go.

Hopefully someone else can chime in but if the mags are broken down as rebuild kits you can have those too

JPN6336
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
PPT is good to go.

Hopefully someone else can chime in but if the mags are broken down as rebuild kits you can have those too

Correct but then you cannot assemble them in California. If you assemble them outside California then you have to disassemble them again before you come back.

I like my P226 a lot but I find the reset far longer than my 1911.

Neve
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I see your p226 combat and raise you a TacOps (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-tactical-operations.aspx) :D

Ub3rDorK
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Damn thats pretty nice too. I still think I want the combat.

discoed
04-29-2011, 12:11 AM
I know the feeling you are having about the P226. When I first shot it I fell in love with it. Soon enough I bought the P226BTFO. Now I picked up a P225 and looking at getting a P220 Match. Sigs are addicting. Get that Combat if you can. That is a sweet looking handgun.

tai
04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
I get the Sig 226 combat, I love it. The only bad thing about it is 10rd mag.

yzernie
04-29-2011, 7:45 AM
I went to the range this evening and decided to rent one, and I wish I hadn't because I want one now...like right now.. It's absolutely amazing. I've never shot one before but the trigger is superb with a beautiful reset and it breaks like a dream. I shot it more than my 1911 that i've taken out only a few times... which I think is now going to end up being my second favorite now.

So I have my future father in law thats CHP....From my understanding he can buy guns that are not able to be purchased by regular civilians...like the P226 Combat (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-combat.aspx), then transfer it to me? I know the high caps stay with him but I know that the combat version comes in 10 round so that shouldn't be an issue...

is this correct? Or will I only be able to get a regular P226?
A word of caution. You guys need to be careful with this highlighted area. Based upon your comment, that could be considered a straw purchase and that could land both of you in BIG trouble. CaDoJ is paying a lot more attention to off roster sales and then their transfers.

Yodax109
04-29-2011, 8:20 AM
+1 for the TacOps!!!

Ub3rDorK
04-29-2011, 8:46 AM
A word of caution. You guys need to be careful with this highlighted area. Based upon your comment, that could be considered a straw purchase and that could land both of you in BIG trouble. CaDoJ is paying a lot more attention to off roster sales and then their transfers.

Good to know. I'll be looking into this more

Moto4Fun
04-29-2011, 8:57 AM
Yeah, it is all a matter of which flavor! I personally drool over the Elite Dark. Something about that beaver tail turns me on. The TAC Ops would be a dandy as well.

As far as the mags: while it may be unlikely (since this was your first time shooting a 226), if you have preban mags, those rebuild kits would come in real handy!

Welcome, good luck treating your SIGness!

skale240
04-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Once you get your 226 you'll then want an x5. 226 was my first pistol, now I own the x5 in 40. I'm saving up to get the x5 in 9mm! They are great pistols

ilkhan
04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it is all a matter of which flavor! I personally drool over the Elite Dark. Something about that beaver tail turns me on. The TAC Ops would be a dandy as well.

As far as the mags: while it may be unlikely (since this was your first time shooting a 226), if you have preban mags, those rebuild kits would come in real handy!

Welcome, good luck treating your SIGness!
I'm drooling over a P220 Elite Dark, and planning on a P226 Combat after.

rubber duckie
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM

although im sure his future father in law is looking for a wedding gift, and a p226 combat sure would be a hell of a wedding present. i mean he wants to have his daughter safe at home right?

yzernie
04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, the CaDoJ does not give a hoot about the good natured idea of a gift. They are cracking down on the LEOs who are DROSing off list guns and then selling them off. I only mentioned this so neither one of them gets themselves into trouble.

Ub3rDorK
04-29-2011, 1:04 PM
Hahaha I keep joking saying it can be my wedding present to keep her safe. But he said
I can keep her safe with the other 9 guns I own haha. Damn!

As for the ppt. I am going to have to ask the local gun shop. See what happens. I do appreciate the heads up on the matter.

usui
04-29-2011, 1:17 PM
Unfortunately, the CaDoJ does not give a hoot about the good natured idea of a gift. They are cracking down on the LEOs who are DROSing off list guns and then selling them off. I only mentioned this so neither one of them gets themselves into trouble.

Ernie,

Could you describe what is going on recently? Could you point to a story or thread that is describing the circumstances. What exactly are they charging the LEOs with?
I thought, by the letter of the law, that ppt purchases are not regulated by the California safe list, and can be done between California residents.
It's also true that peace officers are not regulated by the list.
So what is wrong with a police officer selling a gun that he just doesn't want anymore, even if he is repeatedly buying and selling guns, be them off or on the list?

Also, a more indepth question... is the DOJ anti gun, or just enforcing the laws of the land?
"Cracking down" on legal activities, because it doesn't look like they are abiding by the "spirit of the law" means that they agree with the "spirit of the law" of the very anti-gun "safe list."

I'm wondering, because I have LEO friends that I don't want to get in trouble.

Ub3rDorK
04-29-2011, 6:37 PM
So I think I found an alternative. A BTFO p226. It's not tan :-/ but just in case of the "straw sale?" I think it's called? I dojt know if I can pass up that for $850....4 mags, tfo sight and front serrations and short trigger.....pretty sweet deal.

PandaLuv
04-29-2011, 8:14 PM
Beautiful firearm, you won't regret it. Make sure to take care of her by putting good grease on the rails

Captain Jack
04-29-2011, 8:19 PM
Just picked mine up today! Can't wait to take it to the range! :D

yzernie
04-29-2011, 8:22 PM
Ernie,

Could you describe what is going on recently? Could you point to a story or thread that is describing the circumstances. What exactly are they charging the LEOs with?
I thought, by the letter of the law, that ppt purchases are not regulated by the California safe list, and can be done between California residents.
It's also true that peace officers are not regulated by the list.
So what is wrong with a police officer selling a gun that he just doesn't want anymore, even if he is repeatedly buying and selling guns, be them off or on the list?

Also, a more indepth question... is the DOJ anti gun, or just enforcing the laws of the land?
"Cracking down" on legal activities, because it doesn't look like they are abiding by the "spirit of the law" means that they agree with the "spirit of the law" of the very anti-gun "safe list."

I'm wondering, because I have LEO friends that I don't want to get in trouble.
Justin,

Let start by saying I think the list, roster or whatever we want to call it is foolish and serves only to punish the non-criminal element in this state. Same with the Bullet Button nonsense.

Here's the deal....directly from one of my ex-coworkers who now works for CaDoJ. Many LEOs have found that buying off list guns and turning them right around to sell them quickly can be a way to make some quick cash because of the premiums those guns can bring. CaDoJ is saying those types of sales could be considered a straw purchase because the LEO has no intention of ever keeping the gun. They also are looking at those types of purchases as "dealing" because again, the buyer makes the purchase with no intention of keeping that gun.

I'm not going to give any specific examples because there are some folks here on CGN who could fall into that catagory.

Yes, PPTs are completely legal and I have sold a couple of my personal off-list guns that I simply don't or can't use anymore. Is it an attack on the "list" or probably more correctly the "off-list" pieces? Possibly but, I think more of their focus is not so much on the list or off list but the potential for the straw purchase aspect of these transactions.