PDA

View Full Version : How to find best .22lr ammo for my rifle?

SoCal AL
04-28-2011, 8:27 PM
So I was going to take my CZ455 American out to Angeles this weekend and I wanted to test out some different ammo to see what works best with my rifle. I've been shooting bulk packs mostly with my rifle so far and I bought some match grade ammo that I wanted to try out. I wanted to get those most out of each round so I was curious on how to test out a variety of ammo.

How do you guys test out different rounds through your guns? DO you clean after each brand/type? Do you shoot through a clean or dirty barrel? Cold bore? Anything I'm missing?

Any tips would be great. Don't want to waste the "expensive" stuff.

I'll be testing out:
Fiocchi M 320 Match
Remington Subsonic
CCI MiniMag

bohoki
04-28-2011, 9:21 PM
my go to accurate is winchester wildcat

Eljay
04-28-2011, 9:23 PM
The biggest thing is that with every ammo change you'll need a few rounds for the barrel to get to a stable state, if you clean it or not. The second biggest is that doing one group each is a bit misleading because you never know if it's the ammo or a fluke. So one way to do it is to put up a grid of 1" squares, 3 across by however many types of ammo you have down. Then put 10 rounds in the first square just to get the barrel ready, then one good group in square two, and another in square 3. Then go onto the next line.

The keeper groups should be something like 3-5 rounds each.

Princeau99
04-28-2011, 9:31 PM
I agree with Eljay! My CZ american 452 shoots like a laser, change ammo brand and the next 3 groups of 5 look like a shotgun. CCI for mine is the most consistent. Finding the best for your gun will be a labor of love. (my FS and American do not like the same)

SoCal AL
04-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the idea Eljay. I will give that a try.

How far out should I put the target? 25, 50, 100yard? I was thinking 25 if it was windy and at 50 if it's pretty calm.

G-forceJunkie
04-28-2011, 11:56 PM
I shoot ten 5 shot groups of each ammo, 50 yards. Then pull a bore snake through a few time, shoot 10-20 rounds of the next type of ammo to foul it, then more groups. I like targets like this: http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/GlockFAQ/bullseye_thirdinch_20.pdf

There are several styles at http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=Glock_FAQ_Targets

Izzy43
04-29-2011, 6:30 AM
So I was going to take my CZ455 American out to Angeles this weekend and I wanted to test out some different ammo to see what works best with my rifle. I've been shooting bulk packs mostly with my rifle so far and I bought some match grade ammo that I wanted to try out. I wanted to get those most out of each round so I was curious on how to test out a variety of ammo.

How do you guys test out different rounds through your guns? DO you clean after each brand/type? Do you shoot through a clean or dirty barrel? Cold bore? Anything I'm missing?

Any tips would be great. Don't want to waste the "expensive" stuff.

I'll be testing out:
Fiocchi M 320 Match
Remington Subsonic
CCI MiniMag

3 words. Wolf Match Target.

SoCal AL
04-29-2011, 9:38 AM
G-force, I'm going to try making some of my own targets using AutoCAD. Thanks for the ideas.

Izzy, heard good things about wolf match. Haven't seen it locally, but may try to order some after I shoot up all the rounds I have.

SoCal AL
04-29-2011, 9:40 AM
Another question.

IF I sight in using 40gr CCI BLazer. I figured I should be relatively close for other 40gr ammo, but how about the 38gr Remington subsonics? Anyone know how far off my POI will be from POA? I didn't want to bunch up my targets and then not be able to distinguish which grouping was what.

Mike A
04-29-2011, 9:52 AM
2 grains weight won't make any difference. Frankly that is probably within the accepted range of weight deviation for some of the cheaper ammo. The difference between brands (and lots of a given brand) will make a much bigger difference.

You should do your testing with ammo suited for the purpose you intend for the gun. If it's for hunting varmints, use only hunting ammo--SGBs, Stingers, and various hollow point high speed. If it's for hunting cottontails to eat, use only standard velocity solids. If you're looking for target accuracy, use target or match ammo (altho some regular stuff might just do better in some guns!). If you know you're going to be burning up a lot of ammo, make sure you test ammo you can afford to burn up a lot of!

If you don't make some such "purpose triage" as that, you might end up testing a huge number of brands and types of .22 shells, and you might still end up with a "most accurate" brand or type that is totally inappropriate for your main use of the gun.

But mainly, have fun!

Kryptyde
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
The weight of the round isnt so important; its all about the time it take the round to reach the target as that is the amount of time gravity has to act upon it. Heavier objects do not fall to the earth quicker than light ones, but heavier objects do have more inertia to help overcome air resistance. Velocity is more of a factor than weight.

For testing I like to do some fouling rounds of each ammo then 3 or 4 groups for accuracy. I shoot off a bench since I dont want my wobbles to affect the results as much.

And yes, Wolf Match Target is a great ammo and CZ's tend to really love it. My CZ 452 gets pretty good results with MiniMags also.

oso grande
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Go here: http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?

They know what they're talking about.

SoCal AL
04-29-2011, 1:55 PM
This gun is only going to be used for target shooting from bench. Set up 16 1" targets in a 4x4 pattern on 8.5" x 11" paper.

My plan:

-Each row will be for 1 brand (So I'll be testing 4 brands, 1 is bulk pack)
-1st target on row will put 15 rounds through to warm up
-2-4 targets on row will be for 5 shot groups.

Excited to find out results tomorrow :D

mkane
04-29-2011, 2:44 PM
When shooting for groups, go up 10 clicks or so on elevation so your aim point is not destroyed after a couple of rounds.

SoCal AL
04-29-2011, 6:55 PM
Hmm, I like that idea. Didn't think about having POI off a little from POA. Thanks for the tip!

Oh yea, after work, I found some Wolf Match Target at Ammobros:cool:

Time to see what the hype is about.

Flyingpootang
04-29-2011, 7:04 PM
I'd shoot 3 round groups of different match ammo and whats better. I would be concerned with cleaning between types when shooting the lower end bulk ammo.

Eljay
04-29-2011, 9:16 PM
Also keep in mind that each ammo will have a different zero so some groups will likely be a bit above or below where you're aiming anyway.

Re: distance - You need enough distance to spread the groups out to really compare them, but not so large that they're interfering with the next target over. If you shoot a nice tight group at whatever distance you usually shoot at you might as well do it at that distance.

Eljay
04-29-2011, 9:18 PM
I should also add if it's windy you might just set the goal of eliminating the worst ones, and do some tiebreaker rounds with the best couple at a longer distance on a calm day.

WDE91
04-29-2011, 9:32 PM
purchase a large variety of ammo
pull trigger
compare results

each individual rifle is unique in what it likes

but you cant go comparing Thunderturds to Lapua Midas
keep the comparison on a similar dollar level

best bulk plinking ammo
best range ammo
best target ammo

Timberwolf
04-29-2011, 9:38 PM
Wolf MT is to rimfire what FGMM is to centerfire. There aren't many rifles that won't shoot it well.

covingtonhouse
04-30-2011, 8:58 AM
Wolf MT is to rimfire what FGMM is to centerfire. There aren't many rifles that won't shoot it well.

I have a savage MkII BV that will not shoot Wolf MT or Match Extra with less than a 1" group at 50 yds. However the SK Std. Plus shoots sub 1/2" groups consistently, all day long with two different lots. My other .22 will not eject any SK/Lapua/Wolf rounds after they have been fired. I believe this is because either the rim design is different than American brands or because the case is thinner and expands more. Or it may be because it's an old gun. I've shot at least 50 different brands/types out of the Savage and the SK std is the best performing, cheapest that has done well. RWS R-50 at $15.00 a box works well, as does the RWS Rifle Match at $8.00 a box, but I can't afford to shoot that stuff all the time.

G-forceJunkie
04-30-2011, 9:35 AM
That is odd, considereing the Wolf MT and SK Std + is the same ammo, off the same assembly line, just put into different boxes by Lapua. My BV likes either, totally interchangeably.

Timberwolf
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Wolf MT and Sk Std are the same ammo etc - as i understand it 1/2 the lot production goes into Wolf MT boxes while the other 1/2 goes into SK Std. So perhaps you had a "lot" of Wolf MT your rifle didn't like. That does happen. That said I recently went through a couple of bricks of FGM Match 22 that my rifle would put into 1 hole at 50 yards and right at .75 MOA at 100 yards. I got a new brick of a different lot and every 4 or 5th rd I had a FTE (from a bolt gun) and groups rose to about 1" at 50 yards. So lot does matter.

SoCal AL
04-30-2011, 2:08 PM
Dang, the wind was blowing hard today up there. I went to set up my target and before I could fire my first shot, the wind ripped the cardboard out of the target frame. I also had the gun up on my bipod and the wind knocked it down and dinged up my stock and muzzle. :( Decided to just shoot my 1894c over at the pistol gallery side. Will have to try again another time.

saigarocks
04-30-2011, 2:22 PM
stay away from cheap remington - i've had good luck with federal

covingtonhouse
04-30-2011, 5:28 PM
Wolf MT and Sk Std are the same ammo etc - as i understand it 1/2 the lot production goes into Wolf MT boxes while the other 1/2 goes into SK Std. So perhaps you had a "lot" of Wolf MT your rifle didn't like. That does happen. That said I recently went through a couple of bricks of FGM Match 22 that my rifle would put into 1 hole at 50 yards and right at .75 MOA at 100 yards. I got a new brick of a different lot and every 4 or 5th rd I had a FTE (from a bolt gun) and groups rose to about 1" at 50 yards. So lot does matter.

I bought two bricks of MT at the SF gun show in January before I had the gun in hand. I had heard good things so jumped on it. I'm thinking it was a bad lot for my gun, and thats the deal with .22 ammo. Consistency is high priced. I had a 10/22T that loved CCI std velocity, and didn't like green tag as much. I'll probably try some more MT, but hold the purchase down to 3 or 4 boxes each of a few lot numbers, and see how it works out after I shoot up the SK. I've got so much ammo left from this little experiment, it'll take forever to shoot it all up.

fishnbeer
05-02-2011, 7:16 PM
I've got so much ammo left from this little experiment, it'll take forever to shoot it all up.

im sure there are plenty of us here willing to help out ;)

Eljay
05-03-2011, 7:17 AM
re: leftovers - save them for the next rifle!