PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Cobra Derringer?

strapbytaurus
04-28-2011, 4:30 PM
Positive feelings about it? Negative feelings about it? It's difficult to do research on this gun because it's a niche type gun and plus it's kind of impractical for CCW, range-use, and HD, so not many users will find a purpose for it. For me it is a collectors piece and although I don't think Cobra is the state of the art designer, I think they are reliable. Or so it appears. Anyone?

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2011, 4:41 PM
Yes. I have one in .22lr. At 7 FEET it shoots abot a foot right. They tend to have problems with the ejectors. They are a low cost, low quality, novelty firearm. If you want a small .22lr, look at NAA revolvers. If you must have a derringer style gun, find an old High Standard in .22mag or another quality gun. If someone is GIVING you a Davis or Cobra, it's probably worth taking but, don's spend much more than the $35 PPT fees to get one. You won't be happy unless, you're just adding it to your collection as another example of a mouse gun.

zoid52
04-28-2011, 5:29 PM
I have a Davis in 22 mag. That sucker HURTS when you fire it. Total novelty.Given to me.

ojisan
04-28-2011, 5:33 PM
Davis D38 here...same as the Cobra.
Everyone is intrigued by the old Remington .41 rimfire derringer...but these are impractical to shoot these days due to ammo availablilty and cost.
The .41 cartridge is also very underpowered.
I purchased the D38 many years ago new for $39.95 so I could have a derringer that I could actaully shoot and take apart to see how it worked.
For this purpose, it's fun enough, and the current $60-70 for a new one seems in line.
In the old days, these derringers were carried often for CCW at face to face distances.
Outmoded it may be, but it would still work today in a pinch for the same scenario.
You can also shoot snake shot in it without fear of fouling the barrel gap like on a revolver....the 38 version is much better with SS than the .22 size version.

strapbytaurus
04-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Where are these 60-70 dollar brand new ones? My gunstore quoted me $160

ojisan
04-28-2011, 5:56 PM
Wow!
I just checked Cobra's website...I had no idea they went up so much.
Glendale Gun Show had a couple a year ago...maybe they were used.
Sorry.

strapbytaurus
04-28-2011, 6:04 PM
Heh, kind of makes hi-point seem like the true bargain. Probably worth more in its weight than gold. So you can shoot snake shot out of it?! In 38 special? I downloaded the manual pdf online... they recommend round ball ammo. Like this...

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/137/137882.jpg

but what's the difference from FMJ?

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/128/128984.jpg

I see the metal covering the entire lead ball on the FMJ but why would they recommend roundball ONLY.

ojisan
04-28-2011, 6:12 PM
They seem to trying to say use standard pressure ammo only, which the old 158g RNL is.
Jacketed bullets are usually smaller and more slippery in the barrel than lead bullets so I don't understand what they are thinking.
I have fired a few 125g and 158g standard pressure JHPs and other .38 reloaded (my own) rounds through mine with no problem.
Then again, this is not a high-volume shooting gun.

strapbytaurus
04-28-2011, 6:28 PM
Oooo okay thanks Ojisan. I thought they were saying that FMJ will blast me off into space with a Kaboom.

morrcarr67
04-28-2011, 7:48 PM
I had a .38 derringer years ago. I put 4 rounds through it and sold it.

chad68
05-04-2011, 4:29 AM
When I DROS my new .44 mag this week, I'm gonna see how much they can get me the matte stainless .38 for. Will have to wait like 6 weeks because of the .44 or so but egh. Always wanted one just because. I always thought they were cool when I was a kid. Impracticle, just like most of my guns:)

railroader
05-04-2011, 5:53 AM
I had the Davis 38 special version. As others have said it is novelty gun. Mine shot kind of close to point of aim but the trigger on it was really heavy, 15 maybe 20lbs so it was hard to shoot accurately. Would I get one again? Probably not unless it was dirt cheap.

chad68
05-06-2011, 5:16 PM
I had the Davis 38 special version. As others have said it is novelty gun. Mine shot kind of close to point of aim but the trigger on it was really heavy, 15 maybe 20lbs so it was hard to shoot accurately. Would I get one again? Probably not unless it was dirt cheap.

That's why I want one because it's a novelty. If it wasn't for those types of guns my collection would be half what it is now. To me it's like having a functional collectable. I can't go cut up stuff with my swords but can shot stuff with guns.

Purposeless guns FTW.:)

12voltguy
05-06-2011, 8:02 PM
got one in 38, bullets tumble, couldn't ccw it I missed 2 of 3 shoots at 7 yards trying to get it on ccw, I quit, it's worthless, cost like $150 + fees & shipping so I have $225-250 in it & not worth $100, lol