PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911A1 GI Model - Recommend me some better sights

NotEnufGarage
04-28-2011, 4:10 PM
I don't care for the low profile GI sights. Not sure I need to go to adjustable sights, I just want something a little easier to see. Any recommendations?

I also plan to put on a lighter trigger and might play around with the some of the internals (springs and such). Any guidance appreciated.

This is strictly a range toy and nightstand gun.

Thanks

kmca
04-28-2011, 4:20 PM
For action pistol, I like Dawson fiber optic front and adjustable plain black rear.

Call_me_Tom
04-28-2011, 4:39 PM
If it's going to be used for HD then I'd suggest having a gunsmith dovetail the front sight & have some night sights installed. If I were in your position I'd send it to SA & have them do it, that way it'll be covered under their warranty.

jermzzzzzzz
04-28-2011, 4:52 PM
www.xssights.com

rodeoflyer
04-28-2011, 4:53 PM
Get a G17 with night sights and put the 1911 in the safe :D

Call_me_Tom
04-28-2011, 5:53 PM
Yeah, that was helpful...go troll somewhere else.

asgalindez
04-28-2011, 5:58 PM

Yeah, that was helpful...go troll somewhere else.

Actually, that's good advice. If you have to use your HD gun to defend yourself and LEO has to confiscate it, I'd rather they take my Glock instead of my 1911.

Call_me_Tom
04-28-2011, 6:10 PM
Actually, that's good advice. If you have to use your HD gun to defend yourself and LEO has to confiscate it, I'd rather they take my Glock instead of my 1911.
Actually it was stupid advice because it didn't relate at all to anything the OP asked. If he wants to preach about how great his Glock is he should start his own thread.

Can we get back on topic now?

plsmyk
04-28-2011, 6:41 PM
If you want to keep it simple, but easier to see, there are these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27421/Product/NATIONAL_MATCH_U_NOTCH_REAR_SIGHT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31893/Product/1911_AUTO_RETRO_REAR_SIGHT

The next step up would be the Novaks:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=Novak+rear+sight/t=P/avs%7cManufacturer_1=NOVAK/Products/All/NOVAK/search=Novak_rear_sight

or something like this, which a similar version of is made by 10-8, Harrison Design or Heinie:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26673/Product/1911_AUTO_U_NOTCH_REAR_SIGHT

There are many other options as well, but these are some of the more popular.

I suggest you go to the Brownells website and do a search on "1911 rear sight" to see the sights available.

asgalindez
04-28-2011, 6:43 PM
Actually it was stupid advice because it didn't relate at all to anything the OP asked. If he wants to preach about how great his Glock is he should start his own thread.

Can we get back on topic now?

It relates in that OP mentioned using his 1911 as a range toy and nightstand gun. Rodeoflyer didn't exactly preach anything...just said get a Glock and put the 1911 in the safe.

If you take the time to tune your 1911 up to your liking, would you want to risk possibly having it confiscated by LEO after using it in a home defense situation? Or would you rather they take a run-of-the-mill, easy to replace Glock? For example, should I use my G19 with night sights, or my Les Baer with night sights for my HD gun? I shoot good with both, but I'd rather replace the G19 if it gets taken away.

And I like the Novak 3 dot night sights.

Call_me_Tom
04-28-2011, 6:47 PM
It relates in that OP mentioned using his 1911 as a range toy and nightstand gun. Rodeoflyer didn't exactly preach anything...just said get a Glock and put the 1911 in the safe.

If you take the time to tune your 1911 up to your liking, would you want to risk possibly having it confiscated by LEO after using it in a home defense situation? Or would you rather they take a run-of-the-mill, easy to replace Glock? For example, should I use my G19 with night sights, or my Les Baer with night sights for my HD gun? I shoot good with both, but I'd rather replace the G19 if it gets taken away.

What in the hell are you blabbing about? The OP asked about sights for his SA 1911GI. He didn't ask about Glocks, LEO & any other nonsense you can think of to throw this thread off topic.

pMcW
04-28-2011, 6:49 PM

Somehow I have a feeling that when you use any of your guns in an HD situation that the police response will be: "all your guns are belong to us"

I might be wrong...:cool:

FUBAR
04-28-2011, 6:53 PM
The thread is about sights for a 1911 GI Model not, "should I use my Springfield 1911 GI Model as a nightstand/HD weapon?"

Back on topic because I'm interested in changing out my GI sights as well.

jermzzzzzzz
04-28-2011, 6:53 PM
Somehow I have a feeling that when you use any of your guns in an HD situation that the police response will be: "all your guns are belong to us"

I might be wrong...:cool:

Well that saves me the grief living in fear of what gun gets to be sacrificed if I cap a baddie.

wc12
04-28-2011, 7:06 PM
On the trigger, I replaced my Springfield GI model with an Ed Brown trigger from MidwayUSA ($20.99 and out of stock). There sure is a big difference with the trigger pull than the stock. I'm planning to replace the main spring anyways so what I did was cut one coil from the stock spring and the trigger pull is much lighter. I have not fired the gun since I cut the spring. If it didn't work out, I will be replacing the spring anyways.

Regarding the sights, I'm thinking of getting a luminous paint from an online gun supply store but I forgot the name of the store where I found it.

-hanko
04-28-2011, 7:16 PM

Nothing like a thread-jack:eek:

I like Novak's sights...got 'em on a few 1911's and a BHP. Op, your mileage may vary a little...check Brownell's catalog and see what you think.

OT, I'd prefer to use a gun that's as you put it, "tuned for my liking". The odds of shooting someone with it are infinitesimal, as are the odds of the popo taking the gun.:rolleyes:

Worry more about practice and mastery of your chosen HD gun, less about the cops confiscating it.

Back ot.

-hanko

morrcarr67
04-28-2011, 7:30 PM
Novak Fiber Optic front and a Novak wide notch plain rear sight.

Ubermcoupe
04-28-2011, 7:47 PM
Strictly because it's used in a HD scenario I strongly recommend night-sights. I personally like the "low profile" novaks, but that's just me.
http://www.nightvisionsales.com/images/Trijicon/NightSights/SA37.jpg
The Mepros are fashioned after target sights, havn't tried them but that might give you the best of both worlds.
http://www.officerstore.com/store/products/20070626092940_Photo2.jpg

NotEnufGarage
04-28-2011, 7:54 PM
To put the Glock discussion to bed, I do have a G17 with night sights, but I'd rather have the lower velocity heavier punch of the .45ACP for HD purposes and I don't want to keep the G30 carry pistol in the nightstand. It's usually left locked in the car in the garage.

NotEnufGarage
04-28-2011, 7:55 PM
Thanks for all the input... Time to do some shopping.

Q619
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
At the very least, I'd do a dovetailed front sight in either tritium, white rod or gold bead. Regarding the rear sight, 10-8 and John Harrison both make a very nice sight that slips into the existing sight cut. If you have it machined, I'd get a Novak cut and use either a 10-8 u notch or one of the John Harrison cockable rear sights. He makes it in three configurations (I THINK): plain black, two dot recessed tritium and one (central) recessed tritium.

Call_me_Tom
04-30-2011, 10:10 AM
The reason I suggested getting the front sight dovetailed by SA is because I own this same pistol & I found that the front sight is unique & the only people who made a close enough drop in were 'Kings' who are now out of business.