PDA

View Full Version : What the hell have I done?

Peter W Bush
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
So I recently got an old Vaquero in 45 Colt. My first SA revolver and it won't be my last. Pretty plain and nothing custom except for the grips and a trigger job. After seeing some stuff on some CAS forums, I'm looking into a Power half cock hammer and trigger upgrade, some nickel plating work, and maybe some birds head grips. Any small but significant upgrades that someone can suggest? I'm really liking this thing!

bjl333
04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
So I recently got an old Vaquero in 45 Colt. My first SA revolver and it won't be my last. Pretty plain and nothing custom except for the grips and a trigger job. After seeing some stuff on some CAS forums, I'm looking into a Power half cock hammer and trigger upgrade, some nickel plating work, and maybe some birds head grips. Any small but significant upgrades that someone can suggest? I'm really liking this thing!

Then comes the lever action rifles and SXS shotguns. Then get some period correct clothing and leather goods. Maybe a Winchester 1897 in there somewhere!! SASS matches and such!! What to do, what to do .... :eek::p

hkdad
04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Then comes the lever action rifles and SXS shotguns. Then get some period correct clothing and leather goods. Maybe a Winchester 1897 in there somewhere!! SASS matches and such!! What to do, what to do .... :eek::p

^^^exactly my thoughts!:D and that is the way it's going to end. SASS matches FTW!

Vacaville
04-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Manipulation of SA revolvers and lever actions make them very fun to dry fire around the house. Definitely get a lever (or pump) action to go with your Vaquero. Skip the buttless chaps (unless you're into that kind of thing).

a1c
04-28-2011, 2:12 PM
Manipulation of SA revolvers and lever actions make them very fun to dry fire around the house. Definitely get a lever (or pump) action to go with your Vaquero. Skip the buttless chaps (unless you're into that kind of thing).

Folsom Street Fair anyone?
:D

BigStiCK
04-28-2011, 2:40 PM
Welcome! You are on the right track. Just got my matched set of Ruger SASS Vaqueros. Now am shopping for a nice Winchester replica. Am having fun putting my Rig & outfit together to...
:clover:
'Shameless' Shamus MacAlpin at your service, Sir.

Ubermcoupe
04-28-2011, 2:41 PM
End of Trail here we come! :D

DocSkinner
04-28-2011, 2:53 PM
Love my old model Vaquero (.45 Colt) - not so fond of the new ones. My Marlin 1894 is also just a blast to shoot. And both accurate as hell even with the cheap cowboy loads. And reasonably cheap buying bulk Miwall cowboy rounds. Have tried the Corbon hunting loads. Got some snap out of both of them! Not sure they would be much fun out of the smaller/lighter new vaqueros.

Once intended doing SASS (even bought my lifetime way back when), but never got around to all the other stuff, and it seems to be much more gamed now than it used to be.

Peter W Bush
04-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Haha I think you're all right. I actually got it because I have a marlin lever in .45 Colt (at least that was my excuse) and 3 other lever actions. I have a side by side too... Clearly what I really need is a nice 1897 haha. Can't wait to shoot the Vaquero. I haven't been this excited about a gun in a while.