PDA

View Full Version : Carry Gun When Not Carrying

Tiberius
04-28-2011, 8:51 AM
I'm in the process of getting a CCW and am curious - what do most people do with their carry guns, when they're not carrying? Specifically, unload and unchamber, or leave it loaded (and with a round chambered, if you do that)?

I have a pistol safe and that's where it will be when not on me. This didn't come up in my CCW course, and while there's probably no one right answer, there's lots of experience here.

Thanks,

T

Lone_Gunman
04-28-2011, 9:41 AM
I leave it loaded, one in the pipe, full mag. It's usually holstered on me or in a gunvault that sits on my bedside table.

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 9:54 AM
I leave it loaded, one in the pipe, full mag. It's usually holstered on me or in a gunvault that sits on my bedside table.

I do about the same...

nosuchagency
04-28-2011, 9:56 AM
+1 on gunvault. it allows you to keep it charged in a responsible manner. it's also an absolute necessity if you're faced with arming/disarming through out the day while out and about.

jermedic
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM

same setup here

negolien
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I have several different conditions for each weapon and purpose.

1. When at home I have my Kimber tucked into the carry straps on my mattress. A full clip of Speer GDHP's and nothing in the tube and two back-up mags of GDHP's in a mag holster next to it. Nice because the comforter covers it all :<).

When carrying the Kimber in a vehicle for me (UOC) I have two full clips in the mag carrier on left holstered kimber on right empty mag in well. When I leave the vehicle I lock them in a heavy duty handgun gun vault bolted in my trunk as is. I have an area for my amp that hidden and the vault slides right in there so has a little cover to :<). I also have a pager alarm and always carry Pepper Spray.

2. HDSG at home in a soft case hanging in my closet partially zipped with 4 #8 bucks in the tube.

3. I have my AR set-up for CQB with red-dots/buis. I have it in my BOB with everything I need to well ya know BO lol. I have my mags full and dust covered with my bolt closed and some rust inhibitors in the bag.

J.D.Allen
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
It kind of depends. What's your situation. Do you have kids around etc...?

negolien
04-28-2011, 1:23 PM
Very good point Allen..

247Nino
04-28-2011, 1:29 PM
If you can't decide what to do with your gun when not carrying it then maybe you shouldn't have it :rolleyes:

just sayin...

Ok really though, I keep my gun within reach and in condition 1 unless it goes into the safe. I do have one child in the house, he has been properly instructed and will never touch a gun.

Yes of course I'm just mad that CCW chances in Santa Clara are close to impossible.

Ubermcoupe
04-28-2011, 1:35 PM
The only thing chambered in the house is the 870. Full HD mags and pistols are within reach upon opening the safe. As there are kids, visitors around, all are kept locked up to be "safe." That's just the way it is.

Tiberius
04-28-2011, 3:26 PM
Thanks for that very helpful input, 247 Nino. It seems that virtually every question ever posted on Calguns gets someone responding as you did, namely "If you're asking that maybe you shouldn't have a gun."

You might re-read the original question; it doesn't say "can't decide" what to do, but asks about other's common practices. There are folks with years of experience here and many of them offer good insights. For example, my impression is that cops typically unload and unchamber when going off duty - but I'm not sure if that's always true, sometimes true, or rarely true.

And maybe if you're not allowed to have a CCW, you shouldn't have a gun at all.

WARDOG
04-28-2011, 4:15 PM
Eaaaaasaassy Tiberius-
As you already said you were expecting a comment or two anyway.

Mine usually goes in the key drawer in the kitchen during the day. At night it goes in the safe. I do not use my CCW guns for home defense at night. I do not unload when I get home. I do not like to load and unload all of the time, especially autoloaders, because the bullet bullet at the top of the mag eventually gets pushed back into the case, and turns into a range bullet. My primary use CCW guns are a Springfield Ultra Compact .45, S&W model 60 3" .357.
Home defense at night are a matching pair (consec. ser # SIG 220's) one on the nightstand, one in a GO bag with ammo and other stuff, both set up EXACTLY the same way.
I do not have kids at home anymore.
By the way, most cops (at least when I worked) don't unload at the end of shift unless it got rained on or some other debris that I didn't stop and clean immediately when discovered. They were checked at the beginning of shift when suiting up. My duty gun went home with me at the end of the week to get cleaned wether I shot it or not.
Too much loading & unloading increases the chances of an accidental discharge too.
I do not like to leave my guns in my car. When I have too, I lock the center console in my truck as a distraction but it is cable locked in a clever hiding space most crooks won't look for. I don't leave it in trunk because they are usually easily accessed from within the passenger compartment. A safe bolted inside of the trunk is not a bad idea though.