PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Springfield XD Upgrades

protoolsnerd
04-28-2011, 2:19 AM
Hi Everyone ,
I'm looking to snazz up my xd 9. I want to install a magwell extension, an extended mag release , and I was thinking about that thumb recoil dealy. Looks comfortable as i have a very high tang grip.

Anyone have particular brands they like? I'm able to install it all myself so no need for suggestions like springer and the like .

Good Shooting !!

Aaron

Target19
04-28-2011, 2:43 AM
What is a thumb recoil thingy?

protoolsnerd
04-28-2011, 6:59 AM
http://www.smartlock.com/thumbrestXD-r.htm

I know that thingy was my technical term there. That page should give you a good idea. Seems like it may actually work. Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any experience with it

Z.1
04-28-2011, 7:13 AM
your call....I wouldn't put that on my XD :no:

Baconator
04-28-2011, 7:21 AM
Best upgrade available...

Trade it for a Glock :)

Dreaded Claymore
04-28-2011, 8:35 AM
Best upgrade available...Trade it for a Glock :)

:mad: YOU BRING DISHONOR ON FAMIRY

zfields
04-28-2011, 8:37 AM
that thumb thing is nothing but a fix for having a sh!!ty grip on your gun.

Best upgrades? More ammo. Beyond that, PRP or springer trigger kit and some decal grips.

MaHoTex
04-28-2011, 8:49 AM

I would get a HiPoint first.

Baconator
04-28-2011, 9:38 AM
:mad: YOU BRING DISHONOR ON FAMIRY

Glock fotay ftw

mif_slim
04-28-2011, 9:47 AM
I would say the best upgrade would be ammo, sights, mag release button, trigger kit

In that order. I shot my xd until the barrel was shot out... In my experience, getting on target is better then having a large mag well or any of the other stuff. Te mag release button helps when your changing mags so your hand stays in the same grip as much as possible. Once you build the muscle memory of getting on target and hanging mags you can go trigger kit if you want. I have a Prp ultimate and a regular Prp kit. I like the regular more but for the price I would wait for a good deal to get it. It's not a WOW factor, at least for me. Didn't change all that much in my shooting after I got the kit.

Other then that I think it's more important to shoot then get upgrades.

HkFan416
04-28-2011, 9:47 AM
He's asking for upgrades, not hand grenades :D Though Glock does kind of lag on their shrapnel.

HkFan416
04-28-2011, 9:49 AM
OP if you let us know your intended use of your XD, we can give you some ideas that would fit your intended purpose.

biloutkast
04-28-2011, 9:57 AM
Start with a trigger kit. Springer pretty much has everything for XD's.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

gorenut
04-28-2011, 9:58 AM

Hahha, how'd I know this was going to be in here. Either this or M&P.

Agreed on more ammo. Shoot it and figure out what you need afterwards.

Go Bolts
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I sent my XD9 Tactical in to Springer Precision for a bunch of work:

Trigger job, modification to the grip (X grip), cerakote (frame and slide), match barrel, and new sights (don't remember which sights, but they're big and bright). I would say that the most important for me was the grip, and then the trigger pull. Springer did great work, but it wasn't cheap, and I actually had to send it back to them twice for some mistakes that they made (and promptly fixed).

duc748bip
04-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Sothe "memory groove" thingy.. you suppose to tape it to the grip safety??

Bigtime1
04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Start with a trigger kit. Springer pretty much has everything for XD's.

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

I'll second that suggestion. I've been very happy with my Springer-ized XD40Tactical.

Don't worry so much about hanging a bunch of stuff ON the gun, make what's IN the gun work better.

c483125117
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Springer Trigger Kit

ZombieTactics
04-28-2011, 2:56 PM
Best Upgrade: Training from a good school like Tactical Response, Magpul, Frontsight ... not sure who the good local choices would be in your area.

apbrian112
04-28-2011, 4:25 PM
www.pistolgear.com for all your XD needs (well most at least)... they'll have the magwell and extended magazine release you were inquiring about in your OP; along with a whole lot of other cool XD parts.

Gryff
04-28-2011, 4:36 PM
Only two things are really necessary:

1) Improve the trigger pull.
- Send it to someone like Springer Precision (http://www.springerprecision.com/) or Canyon Creek (http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/)
- Or do it yourself with drop-in kits from Springer Precision (http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc;jsessionid=D1084109C84E91446AF39CB1D0B7 E425.qscstrfrnt02?productId=10&categoryId=10) or Powder River Precision (http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2)

2) Better sights
- Heinie rear and fiber optic front if you shoot outside a lot or shoot competition
- Nice quality night sights if you are going to have it as your home defense gun.

I would say that the trigger work is really advisable, and the sight change is moderately advisable.

Rest of the stuff you suggested? Pretty much just bling that will get snickered at by the cool kids. But it's your gun...you want bling, then get bling. We're grown ups...we deserve to have what we want!

aklon
04-28-2011, 5:17 PM
I don't own an XD myself, but my buddy has one in the 4" variety and I have to say it is one of the more accurate nines I have ever shot, and that would include my own Walther P88 Compact. In fact, we were up at the private range in Napa last weekend and I had a ball making a nice big hole to shoot through: just line up the dots, center, and off you go!

sleepercar
04-28-2011, 6:15 PM

What the.... lol

CALI SHOT DOC
04-28-2011, 6:27 PM
Springer makes a good extended mag release - takes seconds to install
Both springer and Powder River Precision make excellant trigger kits. I chose PRP - go on youtube for help to install or if your in the bay area i can help if you want.
New sights. Can't stand the sights on my xd and am saving up for some new sights.

Cokebottle
04-28-2011, 6:33 PM
your call....I wouldn't put that on my XD :no:
Ditto.

The only thing I'd change on my XD9 is an extended slide catch lever.

BOFH
04-28-2011, 6:34 PM
I have the Dawson Precision adjustable sights on my XD Tac 9MM and a Springer sear/disconnector/springs. Good shooter. Be warned that if you swap sights they are a b*tch to remove and you need to take care installing the new ones. Suckers are TIGHT. I have been thinking about changing the trigger setup though...a lot has changed since it was done. Many more options now.

IPSICK
04-28-2011, 7:10 PM
Only two things are really necessary:

1) Improve the trigger pull.
- Send it to someone like Springer Precision (http://www.springerprecision.com/) or Canyon Creek (http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/)
- Or do it yourself with drop-in kits from Springer Precision (http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc;jsessionid=D1084109C84E91446AF39CB1D0B7 E425.qscstrfrnt02?productId=10&categoryId=10) or Powder River Precision (http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2)

2) Better sights
- Heinie rear and fiber optic front if you shoot outside a lot or shoot competition
- Nice quality night sights if you are going to have it as your home defense gun.

I would say that the trigger work is really advisable, and the sight change is moderately advisable.

Rest of the stuff you suggested? Pretty much just bling that will get snickered at by the cool kids. But it's your gun...you want bling, then get bling. We're grown ups...we deserve to have what we want!

This FTW!

protoolsnerd
04-28-2011, 8:00 PM
Hi again everyone . I was the original poster. I love my XD. In the last year I put roughly 4k rounds through it. It was my only fire arm for a while. Got my nra marksmanship qual with it.....

As sights go, i have night tritium sights on em. I think they're trijicon. I'm pretty sure my barrel is starting to show some wear. I've been thinking about getting a match barrel , barsto probably.

I was really just curious if any of these doohickeys did anything or were worth a damn. I think my grip is decent . After trying out decals and sleeves, i went with the Pachmyr Grip Sleeve. Great texture and doesn't add that much the the grip diameter. I would like the trigger to have a shorter reset and smother pull. I've planned on getting the springer precision trigger kit and diy. Do you know what the factory pull is set to ? 5-6 lbs?

It is mainly going to be used as a defensive gun, range gun, handgun classes, and for teaching.

And for the Glock posts.....i mean c'mon.... Really? Glock......for shame!!!! Can't stand em. The angle of the grip is awful, the trigger pull is garbage.....need i go on?

Dan-O
04-28-2011, 9:04 PM

:banghead:

Gryff
04-28-2011, 9:21 PM

:banghead:

Don't sweat it. Being a Glock Fanboi is like having Tourette Syndrome...they just can't control what comes out of their mouth.

In the last year I put roughly 4k rounds through it....I'm pretty sure my barrel is starting to show some wear. I've been thinking about getting a match barrel , barsto probably.

At 4,000 rounds, the barrel is only about 25% (or less) of the way through it's lifespan. I've put nearly 12,000 through the barrel of my first XD, and the gun is still more accurate than I am (and I can hold my own in competition).

Bar-Sto's are great barrel, but keep in mind that you are looking at $150-200 for the barrel, and $75-125 for the gunsmith fitting. This also doesn't include shipping costs if you have to send it in for the work. Do it if you want, but you don't need to spend this kind of money for a few years.

Again, I encourage you to start with a trigger job, and then evaluate how you feel about the gun. You'll be shocked at how it completely changes your impression of it. You may not need anything else after this.

Cokebottle
04-28-2011, 9:25 PM
:confused:

I've got an XD9 4" and a G26.

protoolsnerd
04-29-2011, 2:31 AM
Do they fight with each other when you go to sleep? C'mon who do you trust more? The croatians or the germans? hehe

Gryff. Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering what the wear life is on the factory barrels. I just started to notice some wear on the muzzle end of the barrel and i was hoping that wasn't effecting the accuracy . I'm really interested in starting to go to local competitions and shooting in more interesting types of situations. Where would you suggest starting ? I know so little about IDPA , IPSC or whatever it is. Open class and the like. I feel like i'm a decent shot .... who knows right ?

Full Clip
04-29-2011, 4:31 AM
I would say the best upgrade would be ammo, sights, mag release button, trigger kit

Other then that I think it's more important to shoot then get upgrades.

Which is why I vote "training."

mif_slim
04-29-2011, 6:41 AM
My barrel gave out at 125k+ rounds.... Mostly lead though. I think 4000 is just breaking in the barrel. ;)

Gryff
04-29-2011, 9:32 AM
Gryff. Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering what the wear life is on the factory barrels. I just started to notice some wear on the muzzle end of the barrel and i was hoping that wasn't effecting the accuracy . I'm really interested in starting to go to local competitions and shooting in more interesting types of situations. Where would you suggest starting ? I know so little about IDPA , IPSC or whatever it is. Open class and the like. I feel like i'm a decent shot .... who knows right ?

I recommend starting in IDPA because the stages are usually easier, and there is a greater penalty for inaccuracy. But there is nothing wrong with starting in USPSA/IPSC, just be prepared for stages that a little more difficult.

But if a local club offers an introduction to competitive shooting class, I recommend taking it. My home club offers a one-day class for $25, and it is a great investment in preparing for competitive shooting. Check out the IDPA clubs local to you and contact them to see if they offer anything similar:

http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=CA

Here is a good breakdown on the differences between the sports and what is needed to get involved:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gun-games-shooting-competition/63409-competitive-shooting-101-idpa-uspsa-explained.html

IPSICK
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
...]And for the Glock posts.....i mean c'mon.... Really? Glock......for shame!!!! Can't stand em. The angle of the grip is awful, the trigger pull is garbage.....need i go on?

Must you bag on Glock to shoo away us fanboys?

Admittedly, I liked the XD ergos a lot but capacity, trigger (imo worse than Glock, longer reset), and sights (Glock sights suck too) leave room for improvement. The high bore axis doesn't sit well with me either.

However, if you can work with the high bore axis, a good trigger upgrade (Powder River or Springer Precision) and better sights (Warren Tactical if possible) can make an XD into a rock star.

Baconator
04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi again everyone . I was the original poster. I love my XD. In the last year I put roughly 4k rounds through it. It was my only fire arm for a while. Got my nra marksmanship qual with it.....

As sights go, i have night tritium sights on em. I think they're trijicon. I'm pretty sure my barrel is starting to show some wear. I've been thinking about getting a match barrel , barsto probably.

I was really just curious if any of these doohickeys did anything or were worth a damn. I think my grip is decent . After trying out decals and sleeves, i went with the Pachmyr Grip Sleeve. Great texture and doesn't add that much the the grip diameter. I would like the trigger to have a shorter reset and smother pull. I've planned on getting the springer precision trigger kit and diy. Do you know what the factory pull is set to ? 5-6 lbs?

It is mainly going to be used as a defensive gun, range gun, handgun classes, and for teaching.

And for the Glock posts.....i mean c'mon.... Really? Glock......for shame!!!! Can't stand em. The angle of the grip is awful, the trigger pull is garbage.....need i go on?

My first gun was an XD 40, once I shot a Glock I never went back. People get way too sensitive about their guns. It was called sarcasm.

Dan-O
04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
:confused:

I've got an XD9 4" and a G26.

I have nothing against Glocks, I've shot them many times and I think they are great guns but I'd take my XD40 over a glock any day of the week;)

Gryff
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
My first gun was an XD 40, once I shot a Glock I never went back. People get way too sensitive about their guns. It was called sarcasm.

It can also be called being a troll.

protoolsnerd
04-29-2011, 1:42 PM
My barrel gave out at 125k+ rounds.... Mostly lead though. I think 4000 is just breaking in the barrel. ;)

HOLY CRAP....well then sir i defer to you! thanks , man by 125k rounds i thought you'd have melted the damned thing

As giving glock **** to get fanboys out....i could care less about fanboyism...im a fanboy of many things..... i just dislike the glock and this ain't a glock thread. Hell springfield xd is in the title....not m&p, hk, glock, or any other polymer gun. I don't own any of them and who started the thread and has 2 thumbs.....THIS GUY!!!

That being said, if you are accurate with a glock more power to you, i just find the springfield to be more refined and more designed with the ergonomics of the hand in mind.

So general consensus is trigger job......as more rounds go , you don't have to worry . I'll be at the ventura show this weekend getting 1k rounds of 9mm for it =)

Cokebottle
04-29-2011, 5:21 PM
Do they fight with each other when you go to sleep?
You know those ADG silver locking pistol cases?
I have two 4-gun cases and one 2-gun case.
The 26 and all of it's mags live in the 2-gun case.
The 92FS lives with the 1911, and the XD lives with the SP101.

They may eventually be reorganized as I add more 1911 magazines, but that's just the way they fit best with my current mag stock.
Admittedly, I liked the XD ergos a lot but capacity, trigger (imo worse than Glock, longer reset), and sights (Glock sights suck too) leave room for improvement. The high bore axis doesn't sit well with me either.
I like the stock XD9 trigger. The pull on the Glock is nice, but I can't get over the "cheap plastic" feeling. I've never noticed an issue with the reset on the XD.
OTOH, I really do like the stock Glock sights better than the XD sights, and the bore axis is also an issue. It's not as tall as a Highpoint, but....
That said, I changed the Glock to Mepro night sights before it had been out of jail for a week. I need to add night sights to the XD. Already did the SP101 front sight. I have no desire to do the machine work needed to change the 92FS, and the RIA Tactical is hit and miss on aftermarket sight fitment.