PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide which one is best for my first handgun

mikejones396
04-28-2011, 2:39 AM
Just wondering...which is the best handgun? Glocks or the springfield xd's?

Sorry im new to this site and need some advice. thanks in advance...

jermzzzzzzz
04-28-2011, 2:45 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397489

JayBeeJay
04-28-2011, 5:20 AM
I would go to the range and rent one of each in the caliber you want. Then buy which one you like and are more comfortable with. I have a few Glocks and have shot a few XD's owned by some friends and family. I prefer Glocks, but you'll be fine with either brand.

shooterdude
04-28-2011, 6:20 AM

There is no such thing as "the best" handgun. There are many different guns that meet different needs and are preferred for different reasons by different owners.

You are going to hear this over and over...go to the range and try many different guns. Try all steel guns and try polymer guns then decide what you like and can shoot well with.

Don't listen to the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 arguments. A larger caliber does you no good if you can't shoot it well.

Try everything.

ZX-10R
04-28-2011, 6:38 AM
Definitely go to a range and try a spread of handguns. If you know anyone that has handguns that is even better. Beware the people who only have certain ones...They are biased. I have an M&P, FNP-9, and as soon as they get my order in a Colt 1911. My friends are diverse in their guns as well having no real preference.

I choose those guns because of reviews, personal recommendations, and trying/ fondling them. They all fit great in my hands and meet the needs and criteria I have. Set up a list and then go try some.

As Shooterdude said...Do not get wrapped up on the caliber. Get the one that you are shooting well be it a 9m, 40, or 45.

Good luck.

fifthward
04-28-2011, 7:18 AM
Look into Sig or H&K...
Hell...S&W too

esartori
04-28-2011, 7:25 AM
Glock and xd will serve u well, but you need to at least handle both to see what fits better because ergonomics wise, they are quite different

gun505
04-28-2011, 7:32 AM
totally agree with renting a few if your wallet lets you, alot of times people buy what their friends say or what some guy on the sportsman channel recommends,I nthe end its going to be your baby,so get what feels right.if not well the famous WTS..good luck!

giants_fan24
04-28-2011, 7:45 AM
I see that you live in Sacramento, go to the Gun Room in Elk Grove. They have a lot of diffrent guns that you can rent, handle them and see witch one feels and fits your hand the best then fire some rounds thru it. It might cost a little but trust me you'll save money in the long run.

Ubermcoupe
04-28-2011, 8:11 AM
Your going to get equal amounts of both choices. IMHO, the only way for you to find which you prefer is to shoot em both! :D

Personally, I like Glocks just a little bit more, but only because I have shoot them alot longer that I have XDs. I do shoot both in 9mm, also have Glock in .40, and an xd in .45. Just depends on the day for me.

jermzzzzzzz
04-28-2011, 8:24 AM
The best first gun for you is the one you shoot best with.

robcoe
04-28-2011, 8:27 AM

Best thing I can say is go to a range and rent them.

I have shot them both and between those 2 I like the XD a lot more, and the Ruger SR series more that that, but that's me, you might have a different reaction.

Try a bunch, Glocks, XD's, SR's, FNP's, CZ's, Beretta's, Sig's, others and see what fits you best and dont limit yourself to just polymer guns, then pick the one you like to shoot the most.

gunsnrovers
04-28-2011, 8:31 AM
Earlier this year I decided to enter the 1980's and purchase a plastic pistol. Of the striker fired, the M&P was the nicest I held and shot. I felt it was nicer then the Glock and I did not like the XD. That said, I still didn't feel the love.

In the end, I went with an FNH FNP-9 and am very happy. I think I was missing the exposed hammer. All my other pistols are SA (HP's and 1911's), but I used to own some Sigs and the SA/DA of the FNP was something I was used to.

Find a range that has a good selection and try them out.

760knox
04-28-2011, 8:33 AM
The one that goes bang everytime :D hahaha go to some gun shops and feel the guns and or go to a shooting range and rent them

thefinger
04-28-2011, 9:18 AM
Guys, just give it to OP straight... GLOCK = Perfection

zfields
04-28-2011, 9:24 AM
I prefer the XD, but both are great guns. Get what fits your hand best.

Dont forget to throw a couple steel guns in the mix! CZ, Berreta, Hipowers and the like!

SinisterBud
04-28-2011, 9:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ
I have a glock 23 and a conversion barrel for 9mm so i can shoot 40cal or 9mm there are more parts available for the glock but because its been around longer and love it and a 92fs witch love to. I'm not hating on the xd i dont have one and have not shoot one but i hear there good guns to.

techshot
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I tried Glock 21, and a XD in .45 before I made my decision. I went with the XD Tactical 5" in .45 I have big hands and this gun just felt much better. Test them out at a local range and see what best fit's you. Everyone is going to have there own opinions and differences. For instance I think Glock's feel and look like a Mattel toy's, but that's just me :)

gorenut
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
This is just something you'll honestly have to learn yourself. Consider ourselves fortunate enough to have so many high quality guns out there that we're spoiled with good choices. You have to go out and shoot and then narrow down what you like or dislike about a gun. Move down the list, and get something that feels like it was made for you.

CALI SHOT DOC
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
they are both great guns first off. The most important thing you should do is go to a range and shoot each one. See which one feels better in your hands. You will probably like the sights on one more and feel more confident.
You can't go wrong with either gun. i own both g17 and xd9 tactical and they are both fun guns and [U]Dependable[U] guns

tonelar
04-28-2011, 11:55 AM
If this is to be a shooter, try a CZ75b as well. Still the best bang for the buck, imho.

Ricky-Ray
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't go with what's best for other people, go with what fit's you best. I looked at the Glock 17 vs the XD and after handled both of them I didn't like the grip angle of the Glock and I went with the XD instead.

Go with what feels best for you.

rodeoflyer
04-28-2011, 12:13 PM

:D

They cure cancer too!

PandaLuv
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Do research, YouTube it, google search it, rent guns, borrow guns and meet people to talk about guns.
Here you can ask specifics about guns and everyone can give you the right answer :)

mikejones396
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks people i really appreciate your response and will try those guns at the gun room in elk grove and see which fits me best...thank you very much.

edlegault
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Forget looks (the firearm), forget what is popular at the moment. You should have a handgun that feels right in both right or left hand, and shoots well for YOU and is comfortable doing so. Go to a range with a well equipped rental shop (or visit more than one). Spend time with the gun in your strong hand, then your weak hand. Does it fit? (some people have big hands, some small, and some... you get the picture.) If it fits, arrange for some basic handgun instruction. As part of the instruction shoot the gun, reload the magazine (or cylinder), .... see how it all FEELS.

I am kinda old-fashioned, shot a lot of different handguns over the decades (did I really say that?). The first time I held a Browning High Power, I KNEW it was for me because it fit my hand(s), balanced well, then shot better than me. But I also like Berettas & Ruger semi's and s&w and taurus revolvers. Then again I've had/owned or shot Lugers, Walthers, Llamas, Colt semi's, but I always come back to my two BHP 9mm semi's as MY favorites.

Everyone is different. There is no BEST handgun. Depends on purpose: home self defense, concealed carry, competition, open carry LEO or armed guard, etc.

Your Mileage Will Vary!

paul0660
04-28-2011, 12:32 PM

If he wants marketing and fanboys, yes.

And maybe he does.

ZX-10R
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah beware the Glock fanboys. Some have only known that and as a result it is best you try a variety. I took a Glock out at Reeds...Not my cup of tea...Was not even in top 10 list for me. So try before you buy if you can.

Blue Ridge Reef
04-28-2011, 7:26 PM
Except for a couple of humorous posts, everyone is shooting straight with you. You may go through a few handguns before you settle on the one that is best for you. I like DA/SA and prefer a Walther P99. My best shooting buddy is a Glock fan and can't understand why I like them so much. Handle everything you can in a gun shop, and try to rent a variety. Honestly, just starting out, you might not know what "feels" best for you. But one will likely stand out. And if not, shooting a few options should change that! Once you have a few hundred rounds down the barrel, you'll be even better armed to make the choice on your next gun/s. Best of luck, and post up what you wind up getting.

Kanester
04-28-2011, 8:04 PM
Like everyone says, hold a bunch at the gun shop. The Glock 17 just FELT better in my hand than the XD, M & P, etc. so I bought that. But thats me.

Many hate the angle of a Glock grip.

shooterdude
04-28-2011, 8:10 PM
Many hate the angle of a Glock grip.

And the angle of the Glock owners....

;-)

ironcross
04-28-2011, 8:23 PM
IMO Get a Glock over a XD.

But don't let the door stop there. Sig's are nice.

Also don't let the grips be you're ONLY choice. Get out there and shoot the weapon.

I was so gun-ho on getting a Glock 22. I just impulsed bought it. Now it's my choice for duty / go-to gun now.

To me it just feels so natural.

YMMV