PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans U-15

iridesportbikes
11-22-2006, 8:13 PM
What do ya guys think? its a bite off the real one. I cant afford the real U15 so i just made mines. Not finished yet but, comments? good or bad.

bu-bye
11-22-2006, 8:20 PM
Nice job. What is it made of? You should also be careful of patent laws.

JPglee1
11-22-2006, 8:20 PM
I think its using yer head...good job... lexan?

JP

iridesportbikes
11-22-2006, 8:30 PM
Nice job. What is it made of? You should also be careful of patent laws.

Patent laws? is the U15 already patent? Am i breaking any laws if i made this for my personal use. Im not planning on making these and selling them. If anyone else thinks i might be getting into trouble please let me know and i will destroy the knockOff.

thanks

Satex
11-22-2006, 8:32 PM
You can't get sued for non commercial use. So don't worry - have fun playing around.

Unfazed
11-22-2006, 8:53 PM
You can't get sued for non commercial use. So don't worry - have fun playing around.

Actually in the US non-commercial use of an invention can be patent infringement, although it is very rare for personal use by a private party to result in a lawsuit due to limited returns on such a lawsuit and difficulty in tracking the individuals. (Tried my best to stay awake in all my business law classes)

morepoop4u
11-22-2006, 9:24 PM
On a a lighter note, the stock reminds me of J-Lo:D

azn_wrx
11-22-2006, 9:27 PM
lol haha
that made me laugh

NeoWeird
11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I think you have a higher chance of being sued by Italy for likeness rights when they find out there are now two pieces of crap that look like a boot and hang off of something else.

ps. nice work.

ivanimal
11-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Does your finger actually reach the trigger or am I way off?

Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery:o

M14Gunman
11-23-2006, 1:01 AM
As previously mentioned... it costs a lot to research and develop a product. If you were to engineer ONE of something it would cost thousands. The price of the stock development is spread out over ALL the units sold. Even at $185 it will take a while to break even.

Whether or not it is legal to copy his idea and build one for yourself doesn't matter.... if you do that, he loses nothing because you would not have bought one anyway.

Posting a picture of your thievery and enticing others to do it is distasteful and could potentially cost him money.

Q
11-23-2006, 4:26 AM

HAHAHA.
i think it looks alright. not as comfortable as the others but it is labeled poor man stock. nice job. not everyone can be rich. it takes a lot of poor people to make a rich man. :eek: this is the first lexan plastic stock i have seen in the jae m1a stock grip style.
i liked one of the photoshop designs a guy made here looked like a wood stock with the check rest that was like a filled in thumbhole. it is always good to see a new stock! from the spring retaining grip bolt. to the mm grip. to the u-15 stock. to this stock. i love the will and imagination of my fellow californians. :) on a side note i don't think anyone is really making any money on any of these stocks. they are doing us all a public service. thank you all!:D

JPglee1
11-23-2006, 6:26 AM
Posting a picture of your thievery and enticing others to do it is distasteful and could potentially cost him money.

PFFFT...he'll still sell tons... do you have any idea how many "gun nuts" there are in Cali, that don't have even basic hand tools???

He wont have any problems, I guarantee it.

And for personal use, dont sweatthe patent infringement...I highly doubt the U-15 is patented anyway since it takes about $10K to do the process and about a year to secure the #...It might be PATENT PENDING tho.

JP

dwtt
11-23-2006, 6:53 AM
What or who is J-Lo? Is he some Hong Kong actor, or something? I must be the only one missing this joke.
As for patent infringement, I don't know if the U15 stock is patented, but they should at least file a patent disclosure with PTO if they think someone might make a commercial copy of it.

tenpercentfirearms
11-23-2006, 7:50 AM
I can't speak for ToolBox X, but I have been watching all of the Do It Yourselfers on calguns.net for a while and I know for a fact they don't hurt business. I have sold so many Prince50 kits that it boggles the mind, despite there being clear instructions on how to do it yourself on calguns. Plain and simple there are those who want to do it themself and won't buy the product and there are 10 more that don't have the time, energy, and knowledge and will buy the actual product instead.

So those of you going off on iridesportbikes about this, why don't you reserve judgment from ToolBox X on this. Having talked on the phone with him a few days ago and seeing how excited he is about this product, not as a money maker, but for the joy of Californian shooters, I don't think he isn't going to care.

Trust me, I want to sell everyone a U-15, but one do it yourselfer isn't going to hurt sales much. I know from experience. Just let the guy be and let him have his fun. It won't stop you from buying a U-15.

Now I have to go get ready to go shoot my U-15! :D

megavolt121
11-23-2006, 8:01 AM
What or who is J-Lo? Is he some Hong Kong actor, or something? I must be the only one missing this joke.
As for patent infringement, I don't know if the U15 stock is patented, but they should at least file a patent disclosure with PTO if they think someone might make a commercial copy of it.

J-Lo = Jennifer Lopez

!@#$
11-23-2006, 10:28 AM
so i guess the srb guy is going to sue everyone who cut a pistol grip to retain the saftey spring/detent.:rolleyes:

Unfazed
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
so i guess the srb guy is going to sue everyone who cut a pistol grip to retain the saftey spring/detent.:rolleyes:

Obviously no one here is out to sue or cause legal problems for our fellow calguns member (minus our "friendly" DoJ readers). We were just correcting bad legal advice and stating that using a patented invention/design in non-commercial cases is still considered to be infringement under US law and to proceed with caution. :cool:

Pryde
11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Whether or not it is legal to copy his idea and build one for yourself doesn't matter.... if you do that, he loses nothing because you would not have bought one anyway.

But imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

bu-bye
11-23-2006, 1:10 PM

You could not be more wrong. I did not patent the SRB. I spent a little time designing them and working out the details on a CNC machine but nothing like Toolbox has done. Thats a tough project. I had no intention of selling the SRB at first. I must have received at least 100 requests in 2 days from people wanting me to make them a SRB. I fronted the money and had a large amount made and sold them. I did not want to make a business out of it like Toolbox does. If you read the original post about the stock he talks about how much time and money he put into it and how he has a patent pending already.

You can make anything you want but if you are going to use someones idea the least you could do is ask them. I have no idea what kind of person Toolbox is. Chances are he does not care but there is a chance he would not like copies being made. I wouldn't care but then again I'm not toolbox and i did not invest as much time and money as he did.

6172crew
11-23-2006, 1:38 PM
But imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Indeed, they have a good idea and I hope to see some other stocks in the future.

I bought a prince 50 because I want to support the guys who put in the time to defeat AM at her own game and I have all the tools to make my own Prince50 at home.

Kestryll
11-23-2006, 7:10 PM
Ok, chill.
Toolbox has not responded and everyone one else commenting on what may/will happen are just guessing or giving warnings of possibilities until he does.
I know we like to let people know when there may be a legal problem but the inundation of warnings gets a bit overwhelming.

Toolbox X
11-27-2006, 1:56 AM
Hey guys,

I just got back from the Costa Mesa show. After 10 hours of driving I can't believe I had the energy to log to my computer. :D

I am in the process of patenting the U-15. It took Matt and I eight months to get the grip to be comfortable and it cost me thousands of dollars in prototypes and design fees. If someday one of the big gun companies sees the U-15 and gets the bright idea of finally offering a real California AR instead of that welded magwell crap, I would prefer they had to come to me instead of just stealing my idea and hard work.

I don't care if you guys build your own U-15 style stocks. I think that is awesome! If you learn anything from it please let me and everyone else know!

I want people to get out there and shoot their AR's. The U-15 lets us shoot our AR's without having to pin the stupid mag in place. My hat is off to everyone who has tried or succeeded in finding a way to do that. Monster Man is one of my heroes. bu-bye also deserves a medal for everything he has done.

My hope is the 2nd Amendment will finally get its day in court and all these stupid gun laws will go away. In the mean time, it's the creativity, ingenuity, and frustrated pissedoffness of Americans that don't ever say die, who make the USA strong and keep us ahead of everyone else.

I'm proud of the U-15 and I am honored by all the praise and support you guys have given me. Thank you everyone for looking out for me and thank you iridesportbikes for putting your creativity to work. If I inspired you that really is a compliment, and I thank you.

-Grant