PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Bersa in CA? .380 --> .22LR Conversion?

2nd Shot
04-27-2011, 9:16 PM
I've been in the market for a .22LR pistol for awhile now and the gun I like the most, the Bersa/Firestorm .22LR is of course not on the PRK extortion list! Thinking out loud, these are the only ways I can think of to obtain one of these:

Option 1: A couple people I know of are planning to move back to CA from a more free state. I suppose the option exists that if they somehow became compelled to buy one, and then moved into CA, I could buy it from them later through PPT. Is there any potential problems or legal hazards with this?

Option 2: Single Shot it... It would be super easy to spot weld a magazine and follower together to create a 0 shot un-magazine. This pistol is also a blowback design, and has a pressed and pinned barrel. I know that a 6" BT/FS22 exists, but it's not all that common. I'm unsure if it would measure 10.5" OAL but I own a BT .380 to measure from.

Option 3: I'm sure people would consider this lunacy, but it appears entirely possible to press out the .380 barrel from an existing BT .380 (I like the frame and grips of the bersa more than the Firestorm anyways), press in the .22 barrel, and install a .22 slide and magazine... I doubt it'd be cheap, and the hardest part would probably be convincing a gunsmith that had access to Bersa parts to do it.

Is there anything else I'm missing here? Is it pretty much impractical to get your hands on the BT/FS22 or convert a .380 in CA unless you have cooperative friends moving in state?