Sam
04-27-2011, 8:04 PM
deleted

evidens83
04-27-2011, 9:30 PM
Ergonomics

esartori
04-27-2011, 9:38 PM
I'd say take the glock. Excellent trigger without modification. And with the mags (I take it u mean preban) then u have 15 rounds of 9mm.

NorCal Einstein
04-27-2011, 9:41 PM
I'll take 10 rounds in complete control & comfort, rather than 15 rounds fighting the gun to maintain a good grip and all that other good stuff.

9mmepiphany
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Superior ergonomics will always beat magazine capacity either at the range or in a defensive situation.

After reliability, the ability to quickly put rounds on target is the most important consideration...and that is all ergos. Capacity is only important when you plan to repel a lot of attackers or you plan to miss a lot...that is why single stack handguns are still a viable option in defense shooting

scootle
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
any viable civilian defensive situation will hardly ever be defined by magazine capacity (i hope).

comfort and ergonomics will go a long ways to helping one shoot properly under stress. shot placement is important not only for what you hit, but to be accountable for where the bullet goes when you miss...

Dhena81
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
With my Glocks its a love hate relationship with my M&P its just all love. For carry though I would go with the 19. While holding both side to to side they look really close in barrel length about 3/8" but the 19 also has about an inch less in the pistol grip length.

Is this for ccw? it must be is there any reason he wants such a large gun for carry?

Newshooter
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
+1 to what everyone else has said.

I chose the M&P over the Glock and have no complaints.

nrvnqsrxk
04-27-2011, 11:13 PM
A weapon is extremely personal to the user. If you can only have one, keep the one that you love and can use the best. I would keep the other one as backup just in case.

UserM4
04-27-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm just nitpicking but if you're ever going to do trigger work, the Glock will never be like an M&P. I own a Glock and I know. I even had to come up with my own mod called the POCB Mod but it'll never be like my bud's M&P with an Apex trigger kit.

MarioS
04-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Edit: I take it back. I say the weapon he is most natural with under stress.

04-28-2011, 3:51 AM
He really likes the Glock 19 and owns plenty of standard capacity magazines ... He can shoot either well

Glock!

ZX-10R
04-28-2011, 6:41 AM
M&P for ergos...Hold both and the difference is huge.

IPSICK
04-28-2011, 7:41 AM
Have you tested the ergos under stress during a class or competition?

b76
04-28-2011, 7:49 AM
I really was set on the g19. But when I held my M&P it just felt right lmao. This thread is exactly what i was goin through.

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 8:27 AM
I owned my G19 for 4 years and compared it to the M&P FS9 before deciding to consolidate on the M&P platform. I prefer the ergonomics of the M&P and shoot it much better but the G19 has simplicity and its size for concealability going for it. Both had crappy triggers IMO though the G19 had a better reset. For some reason I never shot my G19 as well as my full size Glocks. If i kept the Glock I would have done some trigger work and had Boresight Solutions reshape the grip.

Moto4Fun
04-28-2011, 8:45 AM
For range use capacity is not useful to me. It just means I spend more money faster. I usually do 5 shot increments with whatever exercise I am practicing. Having to reload a magazine after 2 "sets" is acceptable. I don't feel there is much to be gained by having another set. It just makes the range time happen quicker, and they don't charge by the minute so I am usually trying to enjoy my time and stretch it out.

For HD, higher capacity would be more useful. Plenty of people prefer shotguns (3-8 rounds is pretty normal), revolvers (5-6 rounds), and 1911s (7-8rnds) for HD purposes and they are typically limited to fewer than 10 rounds.

For carry purposes, I feel that any situation that requires use of deadly threat will be very close range and will end quickly with a small number of rounds fired. For this purpose weight would be a consideration. With the polymer guns 15 rounds will feel noticeably heavier than 10.

So you should have both!

McTerry
04-28-2011, 1:25 PM
Yes, please tell him to get the Glock, I'm having a hard enough time getting M&P magazines as it is! Hehe

Mr.Caketown
04-28-2011, 1:29 PM
I say its all about ergonomics before ammo capacity. Ive shot glocks before and i just didnt the Ergos compared to the M&P. I picked the M&P and fell in love , then I had the apex parts and now i refuse to let her go

barca101
04-28-2011, 1:52 PM
I currently own a Glock 19 that I carry on/off duty. I love my Glock 19, but I want to try something different. I'm now leaning towards the M&P9 FS, the 17+1 is nice to have. Before the 19 I carried my department issued Gen 2 Glock 17. I didn't like it to much, wish it was a gen 3, but loved the magazine capacity of the 17. I'm afraid I may love the M&P and ditch the glock alltogether.

Sam
04-28-2011, 1:53 PM
Anyone got any leads on a shop that will put some bells and whistles on an M&P? Bowie is 6 months out...ugh!

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 1:58 PM
Anyone got any leads on a shop that will put some bells and whistles on an M&P? Bowie is 6 months out...ugh!

Apex Tactical, I've had my FS9 shipped Thursday and back in my hand Tuesday morning with the works.

GTXR390
04-28-2011, 2:12 PM
get boph:D

SVRider
04-28-2011, 3:11 PM
I've read nothing but good about the M&P's and handling them they feel good in the hand (trigger is less than impressive, but workable).

....but the lack of standard capacity magazines in this state is what holds me back. I am confortable with the Glock platform as I have been shooting them a long time...I just have not been able to justify replacing them for "low caps" just to get into the M&P platform....

Sam
04-28-2011, 4:26 PM
Apex Tactical, I've had my FS9 shipped Thursday and back in my hand Tuesday morning with the works.

I've sent them an email. Do they also do stippling as well?

locosway
04-28-2011, 4:51 PM
So I have a friend with a special handgun problem. He really likes the Glock 19 and owns plenty of standard capacity magazines. He likes the M&P more as he thinks it has better ergonomics. He can shoot either well. However, he doesn't have any standard capacity magazines for the M&P. Are standard capacity magazines or superior ergonomics more important for range and carry?

You pick the tool for the job. 15 rounds is better than 10 rounds. If the job is SD in the home or while carrying, then the Glock 19 wins. If the job is range duty and trying to get that perfect grouping, then roll with the M&P.

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 5:42 PM

Skip email and call them directly.

RollingCode3
04-28-2011, 5:49 PM
get both

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1387.jpg

locosway
04-28-2011, 5:50 PM
get both

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1387.jpg

Ok, you have entirely too many pistols. I demand that in this socialized era that you send me at least one pistol. :D

barca101
04-28-2011, 6:22 PM
Shenaniguns, what shipping company did you use and how much was it to send? Did you send only the frame or the entire gun??

thanx

WW2Buff
04-28-2011, 6:25 PM
I'll take 10 rounds in complete control & comfort, rather than 15 rounds fighting the gun to maintain a good grip and all that other good stuff.

+1. Plus, although I like the G19, I prefer the M&P series.

l8apex
04-28-2011, 6:32 PM
The grip can be modified by many shops, I recommend Ben@ Boresight Solutions. The differences aren't that great between them once they are dynamic, meaning shoot and moving. How a gun feels when static vs dynamic is very different at least to me.

The standard capacity mag is one of the reasons I stick with the G19. I've owned both, sold the MP9. Nothing wrong with it, however I did not shoot tremendously better with it to justify using non-standard capacity mags in the MP9. YMMV.

gorenut
04-28-2011, 7:13 PM
I do find the trends in this forum interesting. If you asked the same question half a year or more ago, you'd get tons telling you to go Glock instead, followed by Hello Kitty pictures. Now its the complete opposite, sans Hello Kitty picture (please, leave this one alone).

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 7:25 PM
Shenaniguns, what shipping company did you use and how much was it to send? Did you send only the frame or the entire gun??

thanx

It depends where you're shipping it from, if you're getting insurance and if you want it there by a specific time but I see $45 one way Fed Ex from Sacramento and I don't remember if insurance was added that time.

locosway
04-28-2011, 7:28 PM
I do find the trends in this forum interesting. If you asked the same question half a year or more ago, you'd get tons telling you to go Glock instead, followed by Hello Kitty pictures. Now its the complete opposite, sans Hello Kitty picture (please, leave this one alone).

I personally prefer my Glocks over all other handguns. However, if someone says one feels better, I'll tell them to go with that. It's not about what works for me, it's about what works for you. I can tell you until I'm blue in the face about the benefits of a Glock over pistol brand X, but it won't matter if you dislike the firearm.

As I previously stated, I'd recommend the Glock for SD and carry, but this is mainly based on the users proficiency and magazines. If it's just a range gun, then it doesn't matter, get what you like.

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 7:30 PM
I've owned various Glocks for 10 years while trying other platforms, this is the first time I've been Glock-less since 2000.

scootle
04-28-2011, 7:33 PM

yeah, where has the hello kitty picture been lately?! haha. i think we need to make a M&P version of hello kitty.... muahahahaha...

You pick the tool for the job. 15 rounds is better than 10 rounds. If the job is SD in the home or while carrying, then the Glock 19 wins. If the job is range duty and trying to get that perfect grouping, then roll with the M&P.

i'm not sure what is with the gen3 glock grip, but the front corners of the grip do seem to bite into my hand during prolonged practice. the M&P does win a by a lot in this dept.

i do own both though... i've run the M&P through a handgun class and it's great. but i like the way my glock 18/23 exo pistols look! hehe.

it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to keep both platforms around. they are functionally similar enough that using one means you can pretty much use the other, imho. plus the GSSF shoots sound fun, and i don't think you can show up with your M&P to shoot those... :D

locosway
04-28-2011, 7:43 PM
i'm not sure what is with the gen3 glock grip, but the front corners of the grip do seem to bite into my hand during prolonged practice. the M&P does win a by a lot in this dept.

i do own both though... i've run the M&P through a handgun class and it's great. but i like the way my glock 18/23 exo pistols look! hehe.

it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to keep both platforms around. they are functionally similar enough that using one means you can pretty much use the other, imho. plus the GSSF shoots sound fun, and i don't think you can show up with your M&P to shoot those... :D

I do like the way the M&P feels too, but I'm different than most people here, in where I buy a gun for a purpose. I have a hard time buying two guns that serve the same purpose. Maybe I'm just being frugal, and once I have more money I'll start actually expanding my collection past what I consider the essentials.

On a side note, I haven't been able to find a handgun that can equal my Glock 17 RTF2. It's one sexy beast that I just don't think I'll ever be without!

9mmepiphany
04-28-2011, 9:28 PM
Skip email and call them directly.
E-mail might be better this week, they are at the NRA Show

Did you send only the frame or the entire gun??
They'll need the whole gun to add all the parts and to function test it afterward

Shenaniguns
04-28-2011, 9:31 PM
I wasn't sure if all 3 were at the show :o And yes I forgot to mention i sent the whole gun.

9mmepiphany
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
They have a Booth, so I'm pretty sure Scott and Randy went

TonyKat
04-29-2011, 12:42 AM
G19. That is all. lol.

bluzman
04-29-2011, 3:28 PM
Apex Tactical, I've had my FS9 shipped Thursday and back in my hand Tuesday morning with the works. +1 :D

scootle
04-29-2011, 4:14 PM
actually i emailed apex a while back (like a month ago) and they never replied to me with info. :( i hope it was a flub rather than bad CS.

i'll try again since i do want to do business with them, but that's sort of a no-no to go unresponsive to an email inquiry, imho.

is their email address "guns@apextactical.com" correct?

Shenaniguns
04-29-2011, 4:25 PM
actually i emailed apex a while back (like a month ago) and they never replied to me with info. :( i hope it was a flub rather than bad CS.

i'll try again since i do want to do business with them, but that's sort of a no-no to go unresponsive to an email inquiry, imho.

How can this even be considered bad customer service when they probably did not get your email? :rolleyes: Between them traveling for shows, training, competing and actually working they are extremely responsive. Have you thought that your email was caught by their spam filter? And if you're seriously considering an order or advice try calling and leaving a voicemail if they don't answer, since Randy and Scott are at the NRA convention and Lisa may be there.

scootle
04-29-2011, 4:30 PM
How can this even be considered bad customer service when they probably did not get your email? :rolleyes: Between them traveling for shows, training, competing and actually working they are extremely responsive. Have you thought that your email was caught by their spam filter? And if you're seriously considering an order or advice try calling and leaving a voicemail if they don't answer, since Randy and Scott are at the NRA convention and Lisa may be there.

i don't mean to be rude, but if their "spam filter" is killing potential customer emails, that is not my fault or problem. it's bad CS to be non-responsive no matter what the reason -- and if their filter is a problem, they need to remedy that, imho. :TFH: (i should add, my original email received the auto-reply from their system, so i'd presume it went through somehow/somewhere).

at the time, my inquiry was directly related to scheduling/turnaround time issues, but since my class is long since past now, it's a non-issue. like i said, i will chalk it up to bad luck, but i'll try again since you all are clearly very happy with them. ;)

Mr.Caketown
04-29-2011, 4:34 PM

Apex makes great parts and offers a great service. However they spend part of their day on FB , the other part eating and the rest working. So you gotta pray you catch them in working part

scootle
04-29-2011, 4:43 PM
Apex makes great parts and offers a great service. However they spend part of their day on FB , the other part eating and the rest working. So you gotta pray you catch them in working part

haha... sounds like a typical day in my life too... now don't ask me to break down each category into a pie graph though... :cool:

i was thinking about this a bit again... you know, it varies by site too... if you peruse M4C.net, they are pretty crazy about the M&P series over there... and for those who don't go there much or at all, the crowd over there seems to fancy themselves more "tactical" or "operator" centric than other sites. it's interesting really... Gen3 Glock19s are also favored, but ever since the debacle with the stoppages/failures in Gen4 Glocks, you read more and more that people in the M4C.net demographic are going with the M&P series. of course the fact one of the (very active) site sponsors, G and R Tactical, deals almost exclusively in M&P pistols and Apex parts has some influence as well.

as an aside, the crowd there all but hates the current offerings from Sig Sauer and the XD family as "fighting" pistols. caveat emptor.

meanwhile, you come to CalGuns and everyone raves about DROS'ing their Gen4 Glocks, Sig Sauers, and (fugly) XD/XDM pistols! (off-roster cool-factor aside).

not making any judgements, just stating my observations. :)

also, i hate to say it, but the Magpul guys using M&P pistols in their video was a marketing bonanza for S&W, no matter how you try to color it. :D

gorenut
04-29-2011, 6:31 PM
also, i hate to say it, but the Magpul guys using M&P pistols in their video was a marketing bonanza for S&W, no matter how you try to color it. :D

Oh, totally for sure. I mean, before, I never really thought much about the aesthetics of an M&P.. but when it was showcased in various demonstrations in the DVD, it really made the M&P look good.

Shenaniguns
04-29-2011, 6:38 PM
i don't mean to be rude, but if their "spam filter" is killing potential customer emails, that is not my fault or problem. it's bad CS to be non-responsive no matter what the reason -- and if their filter is a problem, they need to remedy that, imho. :TFH: (i should add, my original email received the auto-reply from their system, so i'd presume it went through somehow/somewhere).

at the time, my inquiry was directly related to scheduling/turnaround time issues, but since my class is long since past now, it's a non-issue. like i said, i will chalk it up to bad luck, but i'll try again since you all are clearly very happy with them. ;)

Actually the problem is being too dependent on technology as opposed to trying more than one avenue of communication that is not 100% reliable. You truly don't know what bad cs is, I have an order with a company with no timeframe of delivery, no response to 2 emails in a week and no response from 2 voicemails. You sent an email that may or may not got to them, maybe your spam filter blocked them, gave up after that and chalked it uptown bad cs. That is no comparison IMO.

Shenaniguns
04-29-2011, 6:45 PM

Actually Randy is hardly on FB, Scott is on periodically and Lisa occasionally.
Lisa runs the office and will be the one you will most likely communicate with.

I will say that Scott and Randy cruise over 30 forums offering tech advice and cs.