PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean I can't press a FAL barrel with a hammer?

NeoWeird
11-22-2006, 5:14 PM
So I was taking apart my FAL kit's front end today and it was just not going well. I do NOT lose my temper, but I was starting to get frustrated with it. So I was working on it and it got to a point where I was holding the barrel in my vise with wood blocks to pinch the barrel softly to remove the flash suppressor on it. So I get it off, and feeling good as I have heard many people have had trouble with theirs I take my barreled front end out of the vise and am totally floored by what I see.

In my turning of the flash suppressor, apparently I hadn't noticed that the underside of the vice had not clamped the barrel as well as the top and allowed it to slightly roll out. It was only until the front sight base/gas block caught the edge of the wood (which crushed until it hit the vice) that the barrel stopped turning and allowed the flash suppressor to come off....but only AFTER completely tweaking the pin in the FSB/GB and galling the hell out of the barrel. Needless to say my frustration (and then some) was back. I was originally going to leave everything the way it was, but at this point I figured screw it. The FSB needed to be pulled anyways now, it was also slightly warped and need replacement and I figure if I was going to do work on the barrel I might as well get it cut down a little like I had been debating.

So I reached for the nearest hammer....which one of our workers had walked off with and reached for the next best thing: A big *** piece of 1" steel rod about 2 feet long. I clamp that piece of crap in my vice and went to town on it. It felt good. Real good.

Maybe next time it will listen when I tell it to "Respect my ****ing authoritah'!"

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/falbarrel.jpg

Paul
11-22-2006, 5:18 PM
Was the flash suppressor soldered in place or just that corroded?

(remind me not to let you work on my match rifles)

SemiAutoSam
11-22-2006, 5:18 PM
OK so what are you going to do now MR FN FAL Armorer ? You killed that barrel I hope it was a junk one for your sake or at least a 18 inch barrel so you can have it turned down and re threaded.

(remind me not to let you work on my match rifles)

DITTO

NeoWeird
11-22-2006, 5:23 PM
The suppressor actually came off perfectly. I had NO idea anything was wrong until AFTER I took it out of the vice and pulled the wood blocks off. In all honesty, I think people thought I went a little nuts since I got up on the table and was swinging the rod like a gold club at this thing. But I finally got the damaged FSB/GB off without damaging the barrel, aside from the obvious crown/thread damage.

And the barrel is a 21 incher that I had planned on having turned down to 16" anyways, so I didn't care how the front came out. Besides, the whole kit cost me less than $180 shipped to my house (including CA sales tax) so it's not like it's one of those tip top nice sets. I mean, it will make a nice rifle, but it's not going to be anyways safe queen without a good amount of money and work put into it.

I also put up better (albeit darker) pictures that better show the fun I had.

PS. I don't know what you guys are talking about, I got a hammer and a screw driver so I am a certified mechanic, and if I can't fix it with wire and duct tape, then NOTHING will fix it.

Blue
11-23-2006, 8:51 AM
I think you should invest in a barrel vice.

SemiAutoSam
11-23-2006, 9:29 AM
You have a Suppressor on your rifle ? Sorry I know your mean a muzzle device of some kind I'm from the class 3 world and when I see that term I see tax stamps in my head and my wallet being drained $200.00 at a time.

Shouldn't that statement have read:

PS. I don't know what you guys are talking about, I got a hammer and a screw driver so I are a certified mechanic, and if I can't fix it with wire and duct tape, then NOTHING will fix it

LOL

The suppressor actually came off perfectly. I had NO idea anything was wrong until AFTER I took it out of the vice and pulled the wood blocks off. In all honesty, I think people thought I went a little nuts since I got up on the table and was swinging the rod like a gold club at this thing. But I finally got the damaged FSB/GB off without damaging the barrel, aside from the obvious crown/thread damage.

And the barrel is a 21 incher that I had planned on having turned down to 16" anyways, so I didn't care how the front came out. Besides, the whole kit cost me less than $180 shipped to my house (including CA sales tax) so it's not like it's one of those tip top nice sets. I mean, it will make a nice rifle, but it's not going to be anyways safe queen without a good amount of money and work put into it.

I also put up better (albeit darker) pictures that better show the fun I had.

PS. I don't know what you guys are talking about, I got a hammer and a screw driver so I am a certified mechanic, and if I can't fix it with wire and duct tape, then NOTHING will fix it.

NeoWeird
11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Whatever SAS, just rub it in why don't you...

I wonder what will happen if my future wife goes to school in an NFA friendly state. I mean, would she tempt me so?

SemiAutoSam
11-23-2006, 1:36 PM
You would move and start buying NFA weapons and or maybe even get your 01FFL and 03SOT and buy all you want with no 200.00 tax stamp.

You would have to sell a few per year to show BATF that you are really in the business as I did when I lived in reno Nevada.

In my opinion once one moves to a free state its not a matter of IF its a Matter of WHEN, WHAT and HOW MANY.

NeoWeird
11-23-2006, 9:05 PM
Well my dream is to be a true manufacturer one day, but I could probably be happy being a gunsmith/dealer in the end. Don't worry, I promise to hit the barrel square on the head when it's not my own as to not deform it. :D

Seriously though, when I do machine work, I am usually very careful and do very good work. Sometimes I rush (but only because I hate my teachers) but when I do things for myself or am trying to do something right, it comes out perfect. Now I just need to finish with my school work so I can actually get on that path...