PDA

View Full Version : .38 Special Reloading Question

volcanic
11-22-2006, 5:14 PM
I was wondering if it is okay to load .38 spl cases as .38 +P cartridges to fire in a .357 magnum revolver (S&W Model 28). Basically I am wondering if the cases for .38 spl can handle the extra powder. Any thoughts are appreciated.

big jon
11-22-2006, 5:36 PM
I have the same 38 cases I`ve had since 1986? It`s abox full of abought 5k or so? Anyhow I load everything with them +p and med hot too. I do have a few that crack and i simple throw those away.

Bobshouse
11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
The cases can handle the extra powder with no problem. The problem you are creating is if you have a 38 that is not rated for +p you going to cause yourself or a friend to damage or blow up a gun by not knowing the load in the casing. Your post is the perfect reason for not shooting anyone elses reloads!

The cases are only marked for your reference, not what the case can take as a loaded round.

69Mach1
11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
If the guns a .357 magnum, then .38 +P's shouldn't hurt it. However, why would you want to load +P's when you could just shoot .357 magnum? Plus I think extended shooting of hot .38 special loads will ruin your chamber in a

Coastey
12-27-2006, 9:47 AM
If the guns a .357 magnum, then .38 +P's shouldn't hurt it. However, why would you want to load +P's when you could just shoot .357 magnum? Plus I think extended shooting of hot .38 special loads will ruin your chamber in a

+1 I have also used the Lyman 358156 cast bullet with gas check. It has two crimping grooves, tht top groove to use if loading .38 Specials, the bottom groove to use if loading .38 Special brass with .357 loads. The resulting cartridge ends up the same length as a .357 Magnum.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-27-2006, 3:01 PM
+1 I have also used the Lyman 358156 cast bullet with gas check. It has two crimping grooves, tht top groove to use if loading .38 Specials, the bottom groove to use if loading .38 Special brass with .357 loads. The resulting cartridge ends up the same length as a .357 Magnum.

Granted you may have a cartridge with the same OAL as a 357 round.. but you will still have a 38 case and after too many rounds you will have excessive gass cutting in the cylinders that will hinder you ejecting 357 cases in the future....

tankerman
12-27-2006, 5:23 PM
Granted you may have a cartridge with the same OAL as a 357 round.. but you will still have a 38 case and after too many rounds you will have excessive gass cutting in the cylinders that will hinder you ejecting 357 cases in the future....

I think that would more likely be carbon/dirty powder residue build up than it would be gas cutting into the cylinder. It doesn't take long for the ejection problem to arise. The cure is extra cleaning to insure the chambers have no residue. I had this issue shooting 45 colt out of a 454 chambered gun, after only a couple of dozen 45 colts, if I switched to the casulls I would need a brass rod to assist in ejecting them. I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth the hassle to continue shooting the shorter rounds in that gun.

eckerph
12-27-2006, 10:36 PM
EDIT - I just wanted to add that MTV is the most vial mechanism invention, that will lead children into complete slavery threw brainwashing....

This has been my expeirence with my SW 27, im going too atart loading light .357's from now on, its too much of a pain to clean.

Bobshouse
12-28-2006, 4:30 PM
Most cases are marked +P just to let shooters know they may be loaded to higher pressures than their gun can accept. If your gun can accept +P pressures, there is no harm in loading all your loads in this brass. Actually, its just a way the brass manufactures found a way to increase sales.