PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Ammo?

doitdave
11-22-2006, 3:41 PM
Hey all, New to the forum and I am getting my first handgun on Sunday and I have some questions about ammo. I know that the big 3 ammo companies, Remington, Winchester etc have good products, but I also have seen some ammo from Mexico, Russia and the Czech Republic.

Some times the prices are less, like wolf from Russia and other times it is close in price, like the Sellier & Bellot from Czech. Have you any good/bad experiences using affordable ammo outside the big US companies?

Thanks

krim
11-22-2006, 4:06 PM
i usually use WWB or CCI Blazer as a comparison.
i ran about 2k of S&B thru my Sig about 5 yrs ago, my exp... good size flash and its dirty (right hand was covered in black bits, same w/ American Eagle brand)
Wolf is... meh... got a few FTF, otherwise it's fine... only brand i've had trouble with using.

i've used other random surplus and foreign here and there, and they're all acceptable.

C.G.
11-22-2006, 8:18 PM
I haven't used it yet but from what I read about Fiocchi, it is not bad.

M. Sage
11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey all, New to the forum and I am getting my first handgun on Sunday and I have some questions about ammo. I know that the big 3 ammo companies, Remington, Winchester etc have good products, but I also have seen some ammo from Mexico, Russia and the Czech Republic.

Some times the prices are less, like wolf from Russia and other times it is close in price, like the Sellier & Bellot from Czech. Have you any good/bad experiences using affordable ammo outside the big US companies?

Thanks

Depends on what kind of gun and what caliber.

My .22 loves Aguila.

My other two guns are both commie-built surplus, so they eat up stuff like Wolf, not to mention the commie-built surplus ammo. My 91/30 also likes Brown Bear.

YMMV

moulton
11-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Aguila sucks.....I bought 150 rds. of .22 from 2 different vendors and I get a FTF every other round

E. Fudd
11-23-2006, 12:41 AM
If we are talking centerfire handgun ammo, I'd stay clear of steel case Wolf ammo. Harder on your extractor and have been know to cause FTF in some guns. Wolf's rimfire, shotshells (buck/slug), or brass case centerfire are fine.

For 'import' range/practice handgun ammo, I've had good luck with Fiocchi, S&B, PMC.

five.five-six
11-23-2006, 1:41 AM
you spent $500 +/- on a gun. best bang for your buck is walmart winchester white box in most handgun cases ie .45 .38 9mm or .40. you can save $ on reloads but a lot of times they shoot dirty and foul your gun faster. by the way, what gun did you get?

doitdave
11-23-2006, 9:27 AM
Thanks all for you input.

As i am fairly new to handguns, have shot them before but never owned one, i wanted to make sure i didn't use any crappy ammo which could damage my new toy.

After holding a bunch of guns and after some research decided to get the XD-.40 4inch v10. I liked the weight and the grip seems to fit me very well as well as the porting looks cool.. 3 more days to go...

RingTone
11-23-2006, 9:33 AM
Aguila sucks.....I bought 150 rds. of .22 from 2 different vendors and I get a FTF every other round

The Aguila .22LR that I bought about 7 years ago has been totally reliable. Kinda stinks but it does go boom...well maybe not "boom"; more like "pffft" :D

M. Sage
11-23-2006, 9:49 AM
My Marlin 60 absolutely loves the Aguila Supermaximum. It's grouped the best for me so far, never fails to go bang, and always feeds.

I haven't had a problem with the stuff yet.

moulton
11-23-2006, 9:49 AM
The Aguila .22LR that I bought about 7 years ago has been totally reliable. Kinda stinks but it does go boom...we'll maybe not "boom"; more like "pffft" :D
Silent But Deadly? the ones I got were Silent But Definitly Not Deadly

five.five-six
11-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks all for you input.

As i am fairly new to handguns, have shot them before but never owned one, i wanted to make sure i didn't use any crappy ammo which could damage my new toy.

After holding a bunch of guns and after some research decided to get the XD-.40 4inch v10. I liked the weight and the grip seems to fit me very well as well as the porting looks cool.. 3 more days to go...

sounds like you did your homework.. very nice choice and definatly on the + side of $500