PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a possible purchase from Budspolicesupply

wguy00
04-27-2011, 3:33 PM
Good afternoon everyone. I've got a few questions that I hope some of you will be able to help me out with.

I was recently enrolled in Buds Police Supply. I work in emergency operations for a city in southern California. I am not a LEO nor do I have any military training. I've had my eye on a S&W M&P 9 for a while now, and with Buds Police price, it's about time for me to make the purchase. I'm all for supporting local GS's, but with what I would be saving in this purchase, I'm definitely ordering from Buds. I will be sending the purchase to a home-based FFL that is down the street from me, as no B&M store in the area accepts ANY mail order items.

Now, the real meat of the thread. I would ultimately like to get the M&P with no manual thumb safety and no magazine safety. Can I do this, since I am not a LEO? My girlfriend has an M&P 40 without either of those features, but she bought it off of her brother that is in the military.

Second question. Buds ships the M&P with three 17 round mags. I'm fairly certain that I cannot own these since I am not a credentialed LEO. Am I correct in my thinking? If I can get Buds to change these to 10 rounders, then I'm cool with that. What if Buds won't (I haven't asked them yet)?

If anyone can shed some light on any of these questions, or others that I haven't thought about, then it would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Wguy

sephy
04-27-2011, 3:35 PM
Might want to post over in Calguns LEO as well :)

shooterdude
04-27-2011, 3:46 PM
Good afternoon everyone. I've got a few questions that I hope some of you will be able to help me out with.

I was recently enrolled in Buds Police Supply. I work in emergency operations for a city in southern California. I am not a LEO nor do I have any military training. I've had my eye on a S&W M&P 9 for a while now, and with Buds Police price, it's about time for me to make the purchase. I'm all for supporting local GS's, but with what I would be saving in this purchase, I'm definitely ordering from Buds. I will be sending the purchase to a home-based FFL that is down the street from me, as no B&M store in the area accepts ANY mail order items.

Now, the real meat of the thread. I would ultimately like to get the M&P with no manual thumb safety and no magazine safety. Can I do this, since I am not a LEO? My girlfriend has an M&P 40 without either of those features, but she bought it off of her brother that is in the military.

Second question. Buds ships the M&P with three 17 round mags. I'm fairly certain that I cannot own these since I am not a credentialed LEO. Am I correct in my thinking? If I can get Buds to change these to 10 rounders, then I'm cool with that. What if Buds won't (I haven't asked them yet)?

If anyone can shed some light on any of these questions, or others that I haven't thought about, then it would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Wguy

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Ripon83
04-27-2011, 3:51 PM
If the pistol is not on the DOJ roster, and you are not LE, then welcome to our stupid CA civilian world....I don't think any gun with a hi cap mag is rostered.... But I'm no expert.....I'm sure an expert will be along shortly, but if not your FFL should handle your questions

NiteQwill
04-27-2011, 3:51 PM
1. Make sure the gun is on the roster.

2. Buds will not trade magazines AFAIK. They may send you the gun WITHOUT magazines but they do not trade them for 10 rounders or send you rebuild kits.

NiteQwill
04-27-2011, 3:53 PM
If the pistol is not on the DOJ roster, and you are not LE, then welcome to our stupid CA civilian world....I don't think any gun with a hi cap mag is rostered.... But I'm no expert.....I'm sure an expert will be along shortly, but if not your FFL should handle your questions

Remove the bolded part above and you would be correct. Magazine capacity (or the ability to accept more than 10 rounds) has NOTHING to do with a gun being on the roster (or not).

wguy00
04-27-2011, 4:48 PM
I took a look at the roster. It seems that the M&P 9 with a mag lock is on the list. I guess I can live with a mag lock. It's the thumb safety that I really didn't want anyway. I would eventually like to get into competitive shooting, which was my reasoning for no mag lock.

If I can't get Buds to give me different mags, then can I have the pistol shipped with the 17 round mags to my FFL, and let my FFL keep the mags? I DO NOT want to take possession of these if it is not legal for me to do so. But if I can get it shipped out with the mags, and he can keep them to do with as he pleases, then I'm ok with that too. The FFL seems like a cool guy and he may be able to resell the mags to someone that is allowed to have them.

FUBAR
04-27-2011, 6:13 PM
You won't be saving much if you have to purchase the magazines. Just go to Proforce in Brea.

fennecfrank
04-27-2011, 6:24 PM
where in so cal are you?

have you tried http://www.proforceonline.com/ ??

the prices there are pretty good and they only sell to LEO, military, and first responders.

As for off roster guns, you CANNOT buy them. You can only buy the ones on the roster, unfortunately.

As for online store.... some are pretty strict. I bought an USP .40SW with two 13-round magazines and I put in the remark telling them to give me the 10 rounders. They called me and told me that due to CA law, they cannot do that. They can only ship whatever the factory sent them and they cannot change the content........ Since they didn't have any USP .40SW with 10-round magazines, I had to cancel the order....... (this was about 2 years ago).

zfields
04-27-2011, 6:35 PM
You can pop off the mag disconect