PDA

View Full Version : home defense handgun storage

22popnsplat
04-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I am looking for a safe way to store my home defense handgun , I have a large safe but I would like something were i can get to it quickly but yet if I get broke into they cant just steal the hole thing and open it later ? Suggestions ?I also have a shotgun , Is there a system suitable for a 12 ga remington 870?

Ub3rDorK
04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
gun vault for the pistol bedside and a couple hidden throughout the house in the micro vaults....as for the shotgun, I just keep mine in the safe.

PandaLuv
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't have one either, but someone told that when somebody is breaking into your house, you have better reaction time than out in the open. About 30 seconds on average, if I am not wrong.
So if you have a safe in your bedroom, I wouldn't worry about storing your guns else where

DannyZRC
04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
there are some wall mount locking long gun brackets available, I've seen a display or two for shotguns.

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I've got a bedside / desktop safe... but it's more to keep the kids out rather than keep the burglars from stealing it...

I'm hiding the gun / safe if I go away from the house for an extended period...

I just bought a shotlock for my shotgun / wall mount behind the door (under a robe) so it's semi concealed... THAT is going to be hard to steal..

Bulleh
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
i just put the pistol on my nightstand before I sleep. Mag loaded but no round in the chamber. In the morning I made it a habbit to put it back on my safe before I brush my teeth

Erin
04-27-2011, 12:08 PM
i just put the pistol on my nightstand before I sleep. Mag loaded but no round in the chamber. In the morning I made it a habbit to put it back on my safe before I brush my teeth

this. to the tee almost. the gun goes away if i leave the house though, not untill. although it will be my ccw again soon so that will solve that problem. itll just go in the holster

whipkiller
04-27-2011, 1:29 PM

This is my routine also; when I get home the safe is unlocked and the Sig comes out. 870 stays in the safe, also loaded but not chambered. When I leave in the morning, Sig goes to bed in the safe 'til I get home.

ZX-10R
04-27-2011, 5:39 PM

Winner. This is the same thing I do.

beretta929mm
04-27-2011, 5:59 PM
I have the same question...

biscuitbarrel
04-27-2011, 6:02 PM
I once saw a gun vault that has a holster device inside, and when you open the door it pops the gun out for you. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

Also does anyone have a biometric safe? It seems that would be the fastest access.

MoBait
04-27-2011, 6:02 PM
Handguns always chambered in my room. Shotgun in the living room full mag, empty chamber. When I leave the apartment, they go into the safe. Neither guns are in plain view so if someone breaks through the door and runs into a room I'm not in, I will probably get there before they find where the gun is hidden.

ChopperX
04-27-2011, 6:30 PM
I have a GunVault Multi in my bedroom. Has my revolver in it but unfortunately its not loaded or is ready. When my 1911 comes in that will be my Home Defense gun and it will be on the bottom shelf inside unloaded but one mag loaded right next to it. Thats how I roll.

The GunVault safes are awesome. It really is fast to get in and grab your gun and mag to be ready for action.

ken worth
04-27-2011, 7:56 PM
I have a handgun safe bolted to the nightstand and that is bolted to the wall.
it is opened with a series of pushbuttons.I can do it in the dark without my glasses in a second. full mag and one in the pipe at all times. safe,secure and handy. it takes the right kind of wife to allow bolting the safe to the furniture and then bolting the furniture to the wall.

cnj
04-27-2011, 7:58 PM
I keep mine in my night stand next to the bed with the drawer open so it is easy to get to. Every morning I lock it away in my safe.

gun505
04-27-2011, 8:03 PM
Good thing for night stands, loaded not chambered, back to the safe in the morning.

canative
04-27-2011, 8:20 PM
I keep my S&W 9 in a single mini gun vault bedside. Loaded and one in the chamber, safety on. When I go to bed I open it up so I don't have to fumble around in the middle of the night all sleepy eyed. Then close it in the morning.

eagle eye
04-27-2011, 8:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkYZFt9H-o

beaster
04-27-2011, 8:32 PM
A few months ago just after the SHOT show, there was a lot of buzz about this:
http://blog.sentrysafe.com/2011/01/21/shot-show-2011-day-2/
Biometric, one long gun/one hand gun, easily placed strategically in a part of the house where you normally wouldn't keep firearms. I'm curious now if they ever hit the market. Checked the website, doesn't look like they released it.

CALI SHOT DOC
04-27-2011, 8:35 PM

Exactly what i do too

beaster
04-27-2011, 8:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkYZFt9H-o

I like the looks and versatility of that one. $300 + $50 for the ammo box(for use in a car)=ouch.:shock: A tad on the steep side for me...