PDA

View Full Version : questions about Ruger Mk III

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
What exactly is the difference between the Mk II and the Mk III? I noticed there's a useless chamber indicator on the Mk III. Is that the only difference?

Do they use the same magazines?

Also, is the stainless version noticeably heavier than the blued version (both Mk III)?

Thanks.

motorwerks
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't say its useless. These tend to be an AWESOME gun for beginning shooters which makes it a useful tool for me if I'm running a class full of them. :D

Canucky
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Loaded chamber indicator and mag disconnect. Mags for the mklll work in the mkll. Mags for the mkll don't work in the mklll. mkll heal release/mklll button release. I think that right? Mind is not what it used to be.

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't say its useless. These tend to be an AWESOME gun for beginning shooters which makes it a useful tool for me if I'm running a class full of them. :D

Loaded chamber indicator is useless because any one with any safety knowledge at all will still pull the slide/bolt to visually inspect the chamber. If I have to do that, why bother with an indicator?

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Loaded chamber indicator and mag disconnect. Mags for the mklll work in the mkll. Mags for the mkll don't work in the mklll. mkll heal release/mklll button release. I think that right? Mind is not what it used to be.

Ugh...all the stuff I don't want on a Mk II is on the Mk III, including the button mag release. I'm training to shoot with left hand and the heel release is actually handy to have.

Mk II mags won't work in Mk III? Darn...

Canucky
04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Just looking at mt mklll and it looks like you can not reverse the mag release.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/23799-mkii-mags-fit-mkiii.html

motorwerks
04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Loaded chamber indicator is useless because any one with any safety knowledge at all will still pull the slide/bolt to visually inspect the chamber. If I have to do that, why bother with an indicator?
I just like to be able to see it from a glance but you make a great point.