PDA

View Full Version : Good idea?

Afterburnt
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Do you guys think filling standard hollow point cavities with silicone sealant would accomplish the same thing as Hornadys Critical defense loads polymer inserts, Or is this just another dumb idea from yours truly?

Afterburnt
04-27-2011, 3:38 PM
I am going to have to make some jello

cali_armz
04-27-2011, 4:40 PM
personally, i wouldnt mess with it. it seems like it could potentially cause a failure if the silicone got jammed up inside the barrel and caused a slug to become lodged in the weapon.

shooterdude
04-27-2011, 4:42 PM
Do you guys think filling standard hollow point cavities with silicone sealant would accomplish the same thing as Hornadys Critical defense loads polymer inserts, Or is this just another dumb idea from yours truly?

Silicone is soft, polymer is hard plastic. Don't do it.

CarlozRossi
04-27-2011, 4:48 PM
Wax maybe? I seen some ammo with primers in the cavity sealed with some wax type stuff. I forgot where I saw it. I think on Gunbroker and it was labeled "explosive" lol.

Mickey D
04-27-2011, 7:59 PM
Millions of dollars of engineering/research and design down the drain with a wad of silicon. :TFH:

Afterburnt
04-27-2011, 9:45 PM
yeah I was leaning toward "stoopid idea" considering the source LOL

Ubermcoupe
04-27-2011, 9:48 PM
I see what your getting at but believe it would melt/gum up the barrel/innards. You'd have to find some high temp like resin or something.:cool:

Can't buy anything here
04-27-2011, 9:55 PM
I would buy some Hornady Critical defense ammo, remove the inserts, and put them in your hollowpoints..then find some other kind of resin to put in the Hornadys...

G lock
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I dont see how it would hurt to try it out (besides your wallet), just dont use it regularly. instead of silicone i suggest some type of epoxy putty. do a wet phonebook test and post results

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/ProductImages/as_seen_on_tv_guys/MIGHTY_PUTTY_6_PACK.jpg

2nd Shot
04-28-2011, 9:41 PM
I was totally wondering the same earlier. Anything that cold flowed under the hydrostatic pressures generated on impact would probably work - silicone, wax, polyethylene plastic, etc. I seriously doubt any of it would escape the hollow cavity on firing and foul the barrel, though I'd be nervous about the added bullet mass, or causing the hollow point to possibly wedge open a tiny bit on firing causing overpressure/kB.

Also, I bet the cavity and jacket of the FTX and other bullets was designed way differently than on a normal JHP to work correctly with the polymer insert. I bet a FTX with the insert removed would perform like crap, and a normal JHP with wax poured in would also work like crap? Obviously, this is something you'd never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever do to ammo you'd depend your life on, or possibly at all, if you value your face/eyes/hands...

locosway
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
A JHP bullet is designed to expand under certain criteria. If you add an unknown variable to that, such as silicone or wax, you've just changed the entire equation and would need to design the bullet around this new idea.

If you want a ballistic tip or that weird expansion tip they're using, then get those rounds, but don't modify yours. The last thing you want is to turn your $1 per round HD ammo into ball ammo.