PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing req for Los Angeles region

Agent Tikki
04-27-2011, 8:05 AM
Anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles area. I'm looking to melt a red dot onto a glock slide. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

TIA Tikki :detective:

Iknownot
04-27-2011, 8:49 AM
Anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles area. I'm looking to melt a red dot onto a glock slide. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

TIA Tikki :detective:

I don't know what that means, but you could try Jim Hoag up in the valley:

8523 Canoga Ave Ste C
Canoga Park, CA 91304
Neighborhood: Winnetka
(818) 998-1510

shooterdude
04-27-2011, 8:50 AM
http://www.danielsgunsmithing.com/

Agent Tikki
04-27-2011, 9:44 AM
Have either of you had personal experience with your recommendations? If you'd be so kind please share your experience. Thanks :D

Iknownot
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Have either of you had personal experience with your recommendations? If you'd be so kind please share your experience. Thanks :D

Jim Hoag is about the coolest dude ever. He's a living classic. He is one of the originals from when people started modding 1911's and doing custom work on them.

I have had experience with him installing sights and I know several people who have had him work on their 1911's, all who have been extremely satisfied.

On top of being super nice and still doing amazing work, he is also reasonably priced.

Now, I believe he tends to work on 1911s, revolvers and hunting rifles, and I don't know what he'd say to working on a glock, but it couldn't hurt to call him up and see if he'd be able to help you with whatever you are thinking of doing.

If you don't get him on the phone at first, keep calling. Sometimes he doesn't pick up.

shooterdude
04-27-2011, 11:08 AM

I have used Jim Hoag in the past to do a trigger job on my Beretta 92FS and was absolutely pleased with the result.

I recently used Daniel to do a trigger job on my CZ and the result was better than another CZ that I sent to CZ Custom shop in terms of crispness, take-up and let-off and reset.

Both are quality gunsmiths. Jim Hoag does not work on CZ's, BTW.

hkdad
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
try glockworx! they are located in ventura though.

http://www.glockworx.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3699

Agent Tikki
04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
after a bit of searching, I was recommended this shop, Dave's Metal Works

http://www.davesmetalworks.com/index.html

A nice slick site, but there's no information besides an email address, for a telephone number or address, had to google it, they are at 842 N Dodsworth Ave # B, Covina, CA 91724-2426 (626) 859-0299.

Has anyone had any personal experience with them?

Paradiddle
04-27-2011, 3:39 PM
I've used both DMW and Hoag. You will never find a more kind and genuine person on the planet then Jim Hoag. Literally a living legend - and that is no ****. He invented several things for the 1911 in the 60's that are commonplace today (like the beavertail). He shot with Jeff Cooper and Jack Weaver and the early IPSC Bear Valley Shooters, he is a contemporary of Armand Swenson who is probably the first custom 1911 guy. He is really really cool and still does great work - he is finishing my 1911 retro build right now.

Dave did a bunch of custom work on my shotgun and is another great guy. Very genuine and a hell of a pistolsmith in his own right.

Hoag is in Canoga Park and probably closer to LA then Dave who is out in Covina/Pomona area.

Use either one without reservation.

Jeff

Colt
04-30-2011, 7:42 AM
Jim Hoag is a legend. I've never had work done by him, but some of today's top custom smiths hold him high regard.

I have used Alan Tanaka in Torrance. He is awesome and I would recommend him without a second thought.

Oceanbob
04-30-2011, 8:12 AM
Without a doubt the absolute best Gun Smith on the West Coast. I have a 70 Series Colt National Match that Jim pimped out for me in 1978 (ish..?)

Runs 100% after 33 years! Yes..Jim is a legend and a 1911 God.

Agent Tikki
04-30-2011, 8:22 AM
Torrance....I've heard of Tanaka before...thanks Colt

blackfalcon
04-30-2011, 8:38 AM
Dave at Dave's Metal Works did some shotgun work for me, added ghost ring sights and a new front sight to my benelli and did great work. Real upfront and couldn't ask for more. He is hard to get hold of at times, but he will return your call.

esskay
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Glockworx knows Glocks inside and out, would be a natural choice for working on a Glock. They've built tons of open-class Glocks with red dots.

Dave is also great, he's done shotgun work for me.

Haven't dealt with the others cited in this thread but they all have great reputations.

05-01-2011, 3:44 PM
I don't know what that means

This:

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac284/451040/G21.jpg