PDA

View Full Version : ammo at the Costa Mesa jerky, Trinker & airsoft show

five.five-six
11-22-2006, 9:37 AM
ok I am out of .223 and am planning on picking up 1-2k and 500-1k of .308 anyone had real good luck with anything I will probably find there. most of my shooting is bench with 24" bbl ar type rifles I like to keep under 1moa amd have been using wally world white box but I just want to get more consistancy

ocabj
11-22-2006, 2:01 PM
Since no one has reponded, I'll post what most people are probably thinking but just didn't want to type.

You're pretty much going to have to live with the inconsistencies if you continue to use cheaper ammo. This includes Winchester white box to military surplus. You can step up to Black Hills blue box (or even red) or Federal Gold Medal Match, but of course, it will cost you more. If you do, you can get way better prices online for a case of Black Hills from many places (ie: Midway, Creedmoor, etc).

You need to pay more for accuracy when it comes to ammo. That is why many people handload.

That said, most of the ammo I see available at the show in large quantity is Wolf and that South African stuff.

grammaton76
11-22-2006, 2:04 PM
That said, most of the ammo I see available at the show in large quantity is Wolf and that South African stuff.

Well, then there's Ammobros though - they do tend to bring a large pile-o-ammo. If you want a 1000rd case, call them up and ask 'em to bring a box with your name on it so that it doesn't get sold out. Otherwise you're likely to end up being stuck with reloads when you wanted new factory ammo, or vice versa.

volcanic
11-22-2006, 4:18 PM
I just wanted to say the title of the Costa Mesa show is completely true. Not really a gun show, but rather a cheap accessory, bayonet, and surplus show. I'll still be there though.

five.five-six
11-22-2006, 5:15 PM
I just wanted to say the title of the Costa Mesa show is completely true. Not really a gun show, but rather a cheap accessory, bayonet, and surplus show. I'll still be there though.

actuly I misspelled trinket, but yep I did pick up a nice .300 win mag ther years ago

so guess I will call and leave ammo bros a message to bring me 1k of Black Hills blue box 55 gr 5.56 and 500 of 7.62 x 51... any idea how much that will be?

ocabj
11-22-2006, 5:39 PM
so guess I will call and leave ammo bros a message to bring me 1k of Black Hills blue box 55 gr 5.56 and 500 of 7.62 x 51... any idea how much that will be?

If you're just going to get 55gr FMJ or 55gr SP, you may as well just something else that's cheaper. Get something loaded with a match grade bullet. Black Hills blue box comes in various bullet types. 77gr is the most common, but you may want to try even one of the V-Max varmint loads (without knowing what kind of twist rate you have).

five.five-six
11-22-2006, 5:52 PM
well the 5.56 is 1:9 the ar-10 is 1:10 as well.

C.G.
11-22-2006, 7:12 PM
ok I am out of .223 and am planning on picking up 1-2k and 500-1k of .308 anyone had real good luck with anything I will probably find there. most of my shooting is bench with 24" bbl ar type rifles I like to keep under 1moa amd have been using wally world white box but I just want to get more consistancy

The latest price and availability of ammo got me to reload; you may want to think about that for non-plinking (consistant) ammo.

five.five-six
11-22-2006, 7:25 PM
The latest price and availability of ammo got me to reload; you may want to think about that for non-plinking (consistant) ammo.

oh I have thought about it and the more I think about it the more I think "i already have too many hobbys and reloading seems to be a seperat hobby in and of it's self" I shuld just pay someone to reload for me

vega
11-25-2006, 8:45 PM
Were you able to get any and are there anymore left for us?