PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's hand just feel wrong on a Sig P226 ?

protoolsnerd
04-27-2011, 4:00 AM
Man i was kinda let down today.

I was at my local range teaching a good friend how to shoot. I had my trusty Springfield XD 9 and my Colt 1911 series 70 Gold Cup nat'l match.

Had an awesome shoot....then i was like...hmmmm a P226 . That's the metal frame 9mm i've been drooling over.

I loved the grip width....but damn!!! The thumb groove was too low!!! Where my right thumb sits felt either crammed down or wanted to sit over the groove.It shot great. The double taps i had done were dead on..... but man was I uncomfortable .

I go to give the gun back to the guy working the counter and we get into a convo about how he agree with me . We both had the same problem. I have a wide palm and fairly average sized fingers. I wonder if ye all with thinner palms and longer fingers have an easier time shooting it.

Are there other sig models that don't tend to do that? I was going to get a sig over a 92 fs ... but now.....hmmmmm

Newshooter
04-27-2011, 7:04 AM
I have the same issue with sigs. Check out the e2 grip. I never knew it existed until yesterday. Very comfortable for smaller hands.

MongooseV8
04-27-2011, 7:10 AM
Yeah I had a P226 that was a great gun, but I just didnt like holding it. The P229 is smaller and more comfortable for me.

But then there is always the X-Five

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-x-five.aspx

I think I might get one of these next, they just look like they would feel so nice.

Fishslayer
04-27-2011, 7:46 AM
Fits me great, but I have big mitts.

...and big feet. Wonder WTH went wrong...:(

Moto4Fun
04-27-2011, 7:52 AM
I don't know about the thumb groove, but the p229 does fit a little nicer. Of course you can try other grips like the Hogue aluminum grips or the E2 grips. I personally prefer the feel of the p220 single stack.

gorenut
04-27-2011, 8:53 AM
I've had similar issues with the P226. I really tried to make it "my gun" - hell.. owned 3 of them... but when it came down to it, I shot other guns better. They're beautiful and the feeling of them in your hand is just of sheer quality. Its a shame.

I too have wider palms and more average fingers.

rubber duckie
04-27-2011, 8:55 AM
p266 didnt feel right until i got e2 grips. its a completely different gun.

tbhracing
04-27-2011, 9:01 AM
The P226 feels like it was custom built for my hand. I might upgrade to the E2 grips eventually.

starsnuffer
04-27-2011, 9:04 AM
Hate the 226 in my hand, which is a shame, because I really wanted to like it. I LOVE the p220 and it shoots perfectly straight without even having to aim, just have to look at the target and the shots bullseye.

For 9mm and .40 I find the USP is much more friendly to my hand.

-W

sneather
04-27-2011, 9:08 AM
I too, have always wanted to love the 226. My hands are above average size, and the gun otherwise fits just fine. However, what I can't come to terms with are the actual fire controls. Because they are so flush against the weapon, it makes it more of an effort to do things such as engage the slide lock with the magazine out. I'm also not a fan of the independent de-cocking lever. I'm far more in favor of the coupled de-cock/safety lever.

That being said, I have a suspicion that I'll have one in my collection some day. Is it true that there is still a stainless version which is being made just for CA? There's nothing on their site about such.

dgax65
04-27-2011, 9:17 AM
I was not a big fan of the Sig P226 when I first got it. The P226, as with so many other high capacity handguns, is just a little too large to fit my hands. After shooting a Browning Hi Power for years, the Sig and my 92FS just felt large and bulky in my hand. I replaced the factory grips on both the P226 and the 92FS with Hogue checkered aluminum grips and it made all the difference in the world. The aluminum grips are slightly thinner and provide a much better fit and grip in my hand. The 92FS still feels a little bulky, but the P226 feels perfect. Sometimes a small modification will make a big difference.

gorenut
04-27-2011, 9:22 AM
I too, have always wanted to love the 226. My hands are above average size, and the gun otherwise fits just fine. However, what I can't come to terms with are the actual fire controls. Because they are so flush against the weapon, it makes it more of an effort to do things such as engage the slide lock with the magazine out. I'm also not a fan of the independent de-cocking lever. I'm far more in favor of the coupled de-cock/safety lever.

That being said, I have a suspicion that I'll have one in my collection some day. Is it true that there is still a stainless version which is being made just for CA? There's nothing on their site about such.

Yea, they leak them out every now and then. I've had 3 of them. Beautiful guns that feel awesome. Topgunsupply gets a supply of them about once or twice a year. They go for just a little under a grand after all is said and done (counting FFL and shipping).

echoarms
04-27-2011, 9:26 AM
It did until I took an armorer's class and held one all day. By the time I left, I wanted one of my own.

sneather
04-27-2011, 9:29 AM
You've had three of the stainless? Do you recall whether there is a specific model number associated with that CA-only model?

jedininja
04-27-2011, 9:31 AM
I was not a big fan of the Sig P226 when I first got it. The P226, as with so many other high capacity handguns, is just a little too large to fit my hands. After shooting a Browning Hi Power for years, the Sig and my 92FS just felt large and bulky in my hand. I replaced the factory grips on both the P226 and the 92FS with Hogue checkered aluminum grips and it made all the difference in the world. The aluminum grips are slightly thinner and provide a much better fit and grip in my hand. The 92FS still feels a little bulky, but the P226 feels perfect. Sometimes a small modification will make a big difference.

I had a similar experience. When I first shot the 226, I loved how accurate I was with it. But after purchasing one and shooting it for a while, the grip just wasnt all that comfortable. I then tried the Hogue aluminum grips and absolutely love it. I think it made me even a little more accurate with it. I have no problems with the controls. All the levers are exactly where they need to be for me. And I'm a fan of the decocker.

Foriegn power
04-27-2011, 9:32 AM
I don't know but my slim experience on Sig's the way I place my thumb always hits the slide lock and de cocker. hurts like hell, guess I'm use to my Glock.

thai562
04-27-2011, 9:35 AM
Try out the new E2 grip, it will fix your problem. It did with mine, I never had a problem with the Sig grip until I tried out the the new E2 grip.
p226 is a great pistol, everyone should own at lease one.

CAglock20c
04-27-2011, 9:37 AM
maybe even try a hogue grip? they look mean too...

n0xname
04-27-2011, 9:42 AM
I have the p226 navy....haven't had any issues with the feel of it...damn thing shoots great

gorenut
04-27-2011, 9:42 AM
You've had three of the stainless? Do you recall whether there is a specific model number associated with that CA-only model?

Yup, had 1 in 9mm, and 2 that I changed around as 40sw and 357sig.

its not necessarily a CA-only model, just that it was originally made for CA. I think if you look up P226sl, you come up with a bunch of results.

sneather
04-27-2011, 9:48 AM
Cool. Thanks, gorenut.

SIGSHOOTR
04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
My P226 fits my hand like a glove-- I've had a Beretta M9, shot Glocks and HKs (handled a 1911, which totally didn't feel right in my hands). For me, the stock grips on my Navy feel the best and ergonomically, it's the best pistol I've ever shot. Everyone's hands are different-- it's all individual fit/preference.

sneather
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow. I didn't realize the CA-legal 226sl is ALL steel. I thought all Sigs used aluminum frames. Impressive. Must be one heavy sucker when loaded all the way up though! My Dad has an old full-sized S&W 5906. All stainless. With all fifteen-rounds loaded, it's like holding an anvil!

Centurion_D
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I use to have a P226 but sold it. The P226 is good if you have big hands. Smaller hand sizes..not so good.

Canucky
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Gorenut 226sl? or did you mean 226st?.Sneather what is your location?

Bullwinkle
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Best $15 (at the time) I've ever spent:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=734847

I have big hands--wear an 'XL' golf glove--and I did not like the stock factory grip on my P226 or P229. P229 was actually worse; I think it's smaller for CCW. Felt like it anyway, and made the weapon feel like I was balancing an anvil on a straw when shooting. Very awkward and uncomfortable. Now I've got the Hogue rubber panels on both guns and both are incredibly comfortable and easy-shooting .40's. Makes all the difference in the world! Keep your aluminum and E2 stuff that tries to reduce the grip size; these are the ones for me.

Nothing fits like a Beretta 92, though. :) [Well, maybe a Para P-14/45....]

sneather
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM

LA/Orange border. Sorry, forgot to add my region in the control panel.

PandaLuv
04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I know what you mean, op. The left side of the grip is a litte weird, you just have to get used to it. It would be better if your hands were on a bigger side.
For me though, when I picked mine up and started shooting, fell in love ;)))

Canucky
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
LA/Orange border. Sorry, forgot to add my region in the control panel.

Well that's no good.(location) Shooting clays at Rancho Cordova (sac area) They had a 2226st and a navy model. Eyeballed them but it was too busy to grope. Both where in the $800 range. I have a 220st, with regular hogues. Would like to feel these new grips. E2/G10/ect before i drop $100+ on them.

Bulleh
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I actually love the grip, and I have small/medium hands. The P220 feels much better to me but I like the P226 almost as much. Theres nothing that proper training cannot overcome if you are set on that fact that you want one.

rubber duckie
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
i wanted to add the day i got my 226 out of jail i went to the range, and it didnt feel great, just good. i came home did a couple hundred dry fires and noticed i was holding it wrong. now its feels so much better.

tonelar
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I have an E2 grip on one 226 (standard grips on the other). The E2 is a little better, but neither bug me as I never learned a high hold... Just picked up a Sig and went at it (as i recall).
Right thumb towards the mag release.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/228E2.jpg
No pic of the 226, but I also have E2 on my newest 228.

gorenut
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Wow. I didn't realize the CA-legal 226sl is ALL steel. I thought all Sigs used aluminum frames. Impressive. Must be one heavy sucker when loaded all the way up though! My Dad has an old full-sized S&W 5906. All stainless. With all fifteen-rounds loaded, it's like holding an anvil!

Sigs have used stainless steel frames since the P229 was made. They wanted the frame to be strong enough to withstand 40SW. The difference between the standard P226 and the all stainless is mostly the slide. In the normal format, its usually an alloy slide.

You're right, I meant ST, I believe SL are the German made models with stainless steel and Ifalon finish.

usui
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Is it true that there is still a stainless version which is being made just for CA? There's nothing on their site about such.
Here is the link on their site:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-stainless.aspx
It's heavy
I got mine from Yzernie, here on Calguns.
Model number was P226R-40-SSS

Here's one from topgunsupply:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer_p226st-stainless-40SW.html

This is my grip, it's what feels natural.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/grip1.jpg

usui
04-27-2011, 1:00 PM
Sigs have used stainless steel frames since the P229 was made. They wanted the frame to be strong enough to withstand 40SW. The difference between the standard P226 and the all stainless is mostly the slide. In the normal format, its usually an alloy slide.

Wrong. I think you are confused about the new slide vs the old slide. Frames are normally alloy.

Slide used to be a piece of sheet steel that was shaped over a mandrel, and then the breech block pinned in. In 1996 SIG-Sauer started selling P226s with slides machined from stainless steel bar stock. The new slide design was necessary to allow the P226 to be chambered for the more powerful .40 S&W and .357 SIG cartridges, as the slide velocity is tamed by the increased mass of the slide.

The P226ST is heavier than a standard P226 because the frame was made of stainless steel instead of aluminum. Weight with the magazine is hefty 42.2oz vs the 34oz of the standard aluminum-framed version. The added weight of an all-stainless frame is claimed to provide greater recoil reduction and a quicker return to target between shots making it a common choice among Practical Shooting competitors.

You can read more about the gun here:
http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p226.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P226

mif_slim
04-27-2011, 1:02 PM
Thats why they have diffrent gun makers. ;)

sneather
04-27-2011, 1:07 PM
Here is the link on their site:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-stainless.aspx
It's heavy
I got mine from Yzernie, here on Calguns.
Model number was P226R-40-SSS

Here's one from topgunsupply:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer_p226st-stainless-40SW.html

This is my grip, it's what feels natural.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/grip1.jpg

That's one tasty looking weapon. Thanks for the extra info.

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 1:10 PM
funny you should bring this up.. I always thought the Sig's felt 'weird' too.. and I can't pinpoint a reason why....

they just do

animossity
04-27-2011, 1:17 PM
I love the way the 226 looks and was going to get one but after holding it I quickly changed my mind. The 92fs/M9 was spot on for me. Plus I'm a 1911 guy so I like a more full size grip.

JPN6336
04-27-2011, 1:27 PM
I have fairly large hands and I like the grip of my P226 but the controls seem odd to me since I was shooting a 1911 for years before I picked up the P226. The trigger doesn't feel nearly as good as my 1911 does either. The gun points well, is reliable and accurate though so it's a keeper.

Jonathan Doe
04-27-2011, 4:42 PM
I was issued a Smith & Wesson model 67, then a Beretta 92FS later. I have carried many different pistols in my time. Once the Sig pistols were authorized, I dumoed all the other pistols and now I carry Sig P226 9mm exclusively, pretty much 24/7. I love how it feels in my hands. And, with a little trigger refinement and a trigger stop installed, it is a winner for me.

bohoki
04-27-2011, 4:53 PM
i didnt like mine till i got the hogue grips

protoolsnerd
04-27-2011, 5:25 PM
I have an E2 grip on one 226 (standard grips on the other). The E2 is a little better, but neither bug me as I never learned a high hold... Just picked up a Sig and went at it (as i recall).
Right thumb towards the mag release.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/228E2.jpg
No pic of the 226, but I also have E2 on my newest 228.

I learned a real high tang grip. That's where my thumb was getting smushed! That high grip helps with recoil control..... I"ll have to try these E2 grips, they look fantastic

9mmepiphany
04-27-2011, 5:35 PM
I learned a real high tang grip. That's where my thumb was getting smushed! That high grip helps with recoil control..... I"ll have to try these E2 grips, they look fantastic
Be aware that the E2 grips will force your hand lower down the backstrap and make muzzle flip more pronounced.

It wouldn't make a difference if you used a grip like the one in sneather's picture, but if you want to optimize your grip to manage recoil and for faster followup shots, the high grip with thumbs forward is still the best route.

Try moving your strong thumb atop the base of your support thumb to avoid getting it battered

protoolsnerd
04-27-2011, 6:18 PM
Yep looks like to shoot a sig i may need to have a slight bit of thumb overlap.

9mmepiphany
04-27-2011, 6:51 PM
Just a little bit...this is a 220ST
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/14-strightLFthumb.jpg

...and it clears all the controls, all the time
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/15-clearsliderelease.jpg

protoolsnerd
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Ya know the 220 looks like it would fit my hand better . Doesn't look it has the beavertail that the 226 has. Something else to get used to. We shall see, i'm looking for a nice .40 metal frame gun. So, we'll see if it's sig or not

gorenut
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Wrong. I think you are confused about the new slide vs the old slide. Frames are normally alloy.

Slide used to be a piece of sheet steel that was shaped over a mandrel, and then the breech block pinned in. In 1996 SIG-Sauer started selling P226s with slides machined from stainless steel bar stock. The new slide design was necessary to allow the P226 to be chambered for the more powerful .40 S&W and .357 SIG cartridges, as the slide velocity is tamed by the increased mass of the slide.

The P226ST is heavier than a standard P226 because the frame was made of stainless steel instead of aluminum. Weight with the magazine is hefty 42.2oz vs the 34oz of the standard aluminum-framed version. The added weight of an all-stainless frame is claimed to provide greater recoil reduction and a quicker return to target between shots making it a common choice among Practical Shooting competitors.

You can read more about the gun here:
http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p226.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P226

You're right, I had the two mixed up, I'm glad someone caught that.

beretta929mm
04-28-2011, 6:39 PM
If one is used to a high thumb hold, holding a Sig with the thumb down might feel "weird" at first.

protoolsnerd
04-28-2011, 8:51 PM
Being that your name is beretta ..... would you steer me towards a 92 fs over a sig? But yeah the whole thumb turndown kinda thing felt really odd . I'll give it another chance when i get to the range

Whiterabbit
04-28-2011, 8:55 PM
. I wonder if ye all with thinner palms and longer fingers have an easier time shooting it.

Nope. I agree with you that it's uncomfy. My hands are a touch narrow but considered very large because my fingers and palms are very very long. Grip is fine and points ok. But my finger doesnt rest on the trigger right. It sits too far up the finger, there's no way to get comfortable placement.

Whatever the solution is, it is not narrow palms and long fingers.

BigDogatPlay
04-28-2011, 8:56 PM
I have very large hands and the P226 works just fine for me. I was an S&W Gen 1-3 shooter for over 20 years when I got my first Sig. A solid, high grip and it's as natural a pointer as any gun I've ever fired. Had some conversion hiccups with the controls being used to S&W slide mounted decock and 1911 style slide stop, but drills took care of that.

I swapped out the OEM grip panels for Hogue rubber with finger grooves for a while and did not like it. Eventually swapped back to OEM panels. The only real downside is the long trigger but if you've shot S&W's you are used to it.

Ranger20
04-28-2011, 8:57 PM
NOPE... Feels great and shoots even better..

But then I have fairly large hands.

I'm glad Sig made the E2 for others so they can enjoy the 226 etc...

Face it.. The sig 226 is no Browning Hipower in grip size one of the best for a double stack..

Good to have choices... isn't it

I still prefer all single stack guns... The 226 is my only current double stack..

CrossedRifles
04-29-2011, 1:15 AM
P226 feels perfect for me. After a day of holding, it's as if it's been ages!

I grew a habit of decocking after I finish shooting already. I have to cant the weapon to get the decocker all the way down. ( Short thumbs. )

The slide release is odd on one-handed releases ( too high up ), but feels normal for two-handed releases.

Bobby Ricigliano
04-29-2011, 1:53 AM
As a very un-lefty friendly gun the Sig is a no-go for me.

sneather
04-29-2011, 7:01 AM
Out of curiosity, do any of you know whether Sig, or any other reputable 3rd party people have ever made extended controls for the 226? I would imagine that if there was a greater extension of the two levers, both the de-cock and slide stop would be worlds easier to manipulate.

usui
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Just a little bit...this is a 220ST

...and it clears all the controls, all the time

I tried holding my 226 like this last night... now that did feel weird! The back of the strap was not touching my palm, as I was really high on the thumb... Is that the "right" way to hold a gun?

beretta929mm
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Being that your name is beretta ..... would you steer me towards a 92 fs over a sig? But yeah the whole thumb turndown kinda thing felt really odd . I'll give it another chance when i get to the range

The Beretta 92 has a thumb rest/indent on the grip panel for a high thumb hold. A lot of pistols are not designed for a high thumb hold in my opinion. It is always good to try out different designs with different techniques. The world would be so boring with only 1911s and look alikes. A Sig would not be a bad choice at all.:)

9mmepiphany
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Out of curiosity, do any of you know whether Sig, or any other reputable 3rd party people have ever made extended controls for the 226? I would imagine that if there was a greater extension of the two levers, both the de-cock and slide stop would be worlds easier to manipulate.
I believe the de-cocking lever on the E2 models are actually shorter than the normal ones...I've never seen them longer.

I've seen slide stop levers extended forward (to clear the thumb safety on the SAO models) and others that have been cut down to stop inadvertent activation. The procedure normally taught to release the slide is the overhand tug of the slide to the rear

codeman8
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I've tried a p226 on multiple occasions and I just don't get it. A lot of people tend to think that they are ergonomically sound. I have larger hands and must digress however. I find the positioning of the decocker and slide release to be rather awkwardly placed. The way I hold a sig (unlike I hold my 1911 and glock) makes it so that it never goes into slide lock. Additionally, the bore sight access is way too high on sigs IMO. This tends to create more muzzle flip, and as a result my groupings are also terrible with the 226.
When it comes to handguns I have decided one thing. You cannot beat the ergos and positioning of safeties on American made guns (ie 1911's). Sigs and others like barretta just don't make that much sense to me in that department. There is a reason you see so many more 1911's and glocks in IDPA.
Just my .02

Noxx
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Fits me great, but I have big mitts.

...and big feet. Wonder WTH went wrong...:(

Same.

I have the opposite experience as the OP, to me, nothing feels as RIGHT as a full size Sig. Guess the designers had some big ole hooks.

bsg
04-29-2011, 11:24 AM
i love the older P226. the grip is a little large, yet i shoot just fine with one. i have no trouble managing the gun.

my P225 has a more comfortable grip... but i shoot best with a P226.

GKO
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM

SIG made/makes "extended controls" for some of the Sport pistols but these only extend outward, not rearward like an extended slide release on a 1911.