PDA

View Full Version : Magazine VS. Clip

bug_eyedmonster
04-27-2011, 2:17 AM
Hey Calgunners,

I dunno if I'm the only one that constantly gets irritated by this, but I'm tired of seeing people making that mistake. I remember a while back there was a picture thread that had the funniest comparison of the terms... does anyone have that by chance?

Jerry

CrossedRifles
04-27-2011, 2:19 AM
I think I know what you're talking about.

Was it this picture with an actual firearm magazine next to a stripper clip, then a paper clip to a reader's digest magazine?

Laughed my a** off after seeing that.

axhoaxho
04-27-2011, 2:20 AM
You mean this one?

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/magazine-vs-clip.jpg

bug_eyedmonster
04-27-2011, 2:22 AM
I love calguns. thanks... :cheers2:

Equis
04-27-2011, 2:30 AM
Hahaha awesome.

Reductio
04-27-2011, 2:55 AM
http://images.wikia.com/callofduty/images/c/c3/ClipMagazineLesson-1-.jpeg

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/poster33090609rc9-tm.jpg

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95724&stc=1&d=1303898100

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 3:00 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95724&stc=1&d=1303898100

That's awesome!

It seems to be with handguns the most. "Do you have any extra clips?"

JPN6336
04-27-2011, 3:04 AM
Also pretty pervasive with AKs and their "banana clips".

safewaysecurity
04-27-2011, 3:10 AM
Also pretty pervasive with AKs and their "banana clips".

Lol one of us should make a picture of a banana peel holding 30 rounds of 5.56 and taking a picture lol

Equis
04-27-2011, 3:17 AM
You mean this one?

Uhmm my buddy just pointed put that the one across from the pistol magazine is actually a strip, not a clip.

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 3:19 AM
Uhmm my buddy just pointed put that the one across from the pistol magazine is actually a strip, not a clip.

It's called a "Stripper Clip".

Your buddy probably mistook it for a short video of a scantily clad woman.

Equis
04-27-2011, 3:23 AM
It's called a "Stripper Clip".

Your buddy probably mistook it for a short video of a scantily clad woman.

Sweet, now I can tell him, " wrong in your face!" LoL

mossy
04-27-2011, 8:49 AM
i will tell you what some kid on xbox told me, "the FAL and M14 use clips, only machineguns use Magazines"

leelaw
04-27-2011, 8:53 AM
You mean this one?

Crap... I've been meaning to redo that one.

chickenfried
04-27-2011, 8:57 AM
I'm over it. I'm more tired of the corrections than I am of the mistake :p.

Moto4Fun
04-27-2011, 8:58 AM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0805/banana-clip-demotivational-poster-1211060721.png

mif_slim
04-27-2011, 8:59 AM
The CLIP in my Glock is hella cool! The Magazine I use for the Garand is easy!

HighLander51
04-27-2011, 9:04 AM
Shown is a ‘moon’ clip for loading the rotary magazine of a revolver, called the cylinder, .45ACP.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_Tracker/Mvc-005f.jpg

Mickey D
04-27-2011, 9:05 AM
Get over it. :rolleyes:

It''s like the 'grips Vs 'stocks'. Technically they are 'stocks'.

CrazyJeep
04-27-2011, 9:11 AM
Get over it. :rolleyes:

It''s like the 'grips Vs 'stocks'. Technically they are 'stocks'.

I couldn't agree more. It's all about semantics. There are other things that are worthy of being ranted on. This is just about at the bottom of the barrel.

By the way, according to dictionary.com:

clip2    /klɪp/ Show Spelled
[klip] Show IPA
noun, verb, clipped, clip·ping.
–noun
1. a device that grips and holds tightly.
:cool:

People need to step away from their computer and get out more often.

gorenut
04-27-2011, 9:19 AM
I don't care too much as long as I know what the person is talking about. If anything, I only correct new shooters because I know somewhere down the line.. a dude is going to be an a-hole about correcting him/her.

Eskimos have about a dozen different names to classify snow.

7.62x63mmUS
04-27-2011, 9:28 AM
I think the clip terminology probably originated with the M1 rifle where you actually PUT THE CLIP INTO THE RIFLE. Where as otherwise a clip is not necessary to load/fire a gun, it is with the M1.

pkc168
04-27-2011, 9:32 AM
Got over it already... just like motor versus engine...

CAglock20c
04-27-2011, 9:39 AM
You mean this one?

lol!

cineski
04-27-2011, 9:42 AM
I hope the old WWII vet that says clips ***** slaps the hell outa the first person who corrects him.

mif_slim
04-27-2011, 9:43 AM
how-a-bout shotty? lol

JayBeeJay
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0805/banana-clip-demotivational-poster-1211060721.png

LMAO.

edlegault
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
My uncles that fought in WWII told me the "clip" that was used in the M1 Garand was ejected when the last bullet was fired/ejected with a special sounding "zinggggg" which the enemy learned to wait until they heard and knew our soldier was out of ammo in that rifle.

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I think the clip terminology probably originated with the M1 rifle where you actually PUT THE CLIP INTO THE RIFLE. Where as otherwise a clip is not necessary to load/fire a gun, it is with the M1.

Mannlicher type rifles need to have the entire clip in the gun in order for them to work, just like a Garand. After the last round, the clip falls through the rifle from a hole cut at the bottom of the action, instead of getting flung out like a Garand.

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
My uncles that fought in WWII told me the "clip" that was used in the M1 Garand was ejected when the last bullet was fired/ejected with a special sounding "zinggggg" which the enemy learned to wait until they heard and knew our soldier was out of ammo in that rifle.

Our guys learned that and started to collect used clips so they can throw them to make that sound in order to fool the Germans.

Low-Pressure
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM

That's probably why they won that war :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:(sarcasm)
I think it was more to tell our guys they needed to reload.:D

imtheomegaman
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FirearmsGlossary/

Quote:
CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

PandaLuv
04-27-2011, 11:10 AM

so where is the bullet button?

mif_slim
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM

That's why our boys knew hour use that as a advantage. They would shoot and some stand by. When they hear the ziiinnngg!! They duck down and the Germans thinking they were out comes up, the guys standing by caps em.

starsnuffer
04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
But dontcha know! It's un-freaking-American to insult the English language by mixing up the words!

er. . . wait. . what?

-W

paul0660
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
As long as they don't misspell magazine or clip, I am over it.

DannyZRC
04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0805/banana-clip-demotivational-poster-1211060721.pngso where is the bullet button?

might get more mileage out of a smoothie button. =D

c.j.
04-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Saw an interesting interpretation the other day...

Magazines have springs
Clips don't

I haven't been able to come up with anything that violates this...even moon clips.

leelaw
04-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Magazines have springs
Clips don't

I haven't been able to come up with anything that violates this...even moon clips.

That's an easy explanation. "Clips don't have moving parts, magazines do" is another easy explanation, and can help relate the operation of clips and magazines in firearms like the Garand, SKS, or others which use a clip to load an internal or attached magazine.

SixPointEight
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Magazines have springs
Clips don't

A lot of clips have a leaf spring type effect to keep rounds in place lol

MASTERLAB
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
clip feeds the magazine, magazine feeds the gun, in the m1 and other earlier rifles the magazine was integral to the firearm and non removeable

CrazyJeep
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
clip feeds the magazine, magazine feeds the gun, in the m1 and other earlier rifles the magazine was integral to the firearm and non removeable

Not always. As mentioned before, M1's use clips which feeds the gun which is made of spring steel. Seriously folks, this is dumb.

**Edit** Your wording made it sound like the M1 clip is part of the rifle, i.e. SKS.

$P-Ritch$
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't care too much as long as I know what the person is talking about. If anything, I only correct new shooters because I know somewhere down the line.. a dude is going to be an a-hole about correcting him/her.

Eskimos have about a dozen different names to classify snow.

You know the proper term is Inuit as opposed to Eskimo. :p

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 1:06 PM
Not always. As mentioned before, M1's use clips which feeds the gun which is made of spring steel. Seriously folks, this is dumb.

**Edit** Your wording made it sound like the M1 clip is part of the rifle, i.e. SKS.

Like it or not, "clip" is an ignorant term. Some people don't care, others do.

I don't care if the guy's a noob.

Lead Waster
04-27-2011, 1:09 PM
This is the stupidest thing. Who cares, we all know what people mean when they say "clip".

Like Xerox means photocopier, Kleenex means tissue paper. supper/dinner whatever, if it bugs you, really, get over it.

What harm is there if people say "clip" instead of "magazine" can't "clip" be a nickname for magazine?

Like "plane" instead of "airplane" even though a plane is a geometric concept OR a woodworking tool?

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 1:12 PM
This is the stupidest thing. Who cares, we all know what people mean when they say "clip".

Like Xerox means photocopier, Kleenex means tissue paper. supper/dinner whatever, if it bugs you, really, get over it.

What harm is there if people say "clip" instead of "magazine" can't "clip" be a nickname for magazine?

Like "plane" instead of "airplane" even though a plane is a geometric concept OR a woodworking tool?

The issue is that you are talking about equivalent things.

Kleenex is a brand of tissue; Xerox is a brand of photocopier. Supper is synonymous with dinner.

A magazine is one thing.

A Clip is another.

It would be like calling a truck a car... or a car a truck. Both perform similar functions, but one is not the other.

CrazyJeep
04-27-2011, 1:20 PM
I don't care if the guy's a noob.

We all were noobs at one point in time for a multitude of things. This is where people superiority complex makes them look like a....well, lets just leave it at that.

Hi, My name is Chris and yes I was once a noob. :rolleyes:

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 1:22 PM
We all were noobs at one point in time for a multitude of things. This is where people superiority complex makes them look like a....well, lets just leave it at that.

Hi, My name is Chris and yes I was once a noob. :rolleyes:

Hence, my statement: I don't mind if it's a noob.

I politely inform him of the difference and leave it at that.

If it's not a noob, I bite my tongue and move on because I don't care enough about it to make an arse of myself.

Online is a different story all together. I don't mind being an arse online. :)

kel-tec-innovations
04-27-2011, 1:23 PM
My gun definitely uses clips. I load the clips into my magazine. Paper clip gun :D

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 1:27 PM
My gun definitely uses clips. I load the clips into my magazine. Paper clip gun :D

Then is that a clip... or ammunition? :)

tonelar
04-27-2011, 1:29 PM

That's what I thought this thread was about. Second most annoying are the gramar and spelling nazis.

CrazyJeep
04-27-2011, 1:32 PM
That's what I thought this thread was about. Second most annoying are the gramar and spelling nazis.

Just helping you out, but you might want to spell check yours before you get reamed.

ant71992
04-27-2011, 1:36 PM
I dont care if its wrong, banana clip sounds more badass than just the AK mag.

AeroEngi
04-27-2011, 1:37 PM
I think the misunderstanding started with Warren G and Nate Dog's "Regulator". Nate Dog says "16 in the clip and one in the hole".

CrazyJeep
04-27-2011, 1:38 PM
I think the misunderstanding started with Warren G and Nate Dog's "Regulator". Nate Dog says "16 in the clip and one in the hole".

R.I.P

beetle
04-27-2011, 1:43 PM
I used to troll various forums posting something like "So i was at the range firing my pistol, then I loaded the next clip and starting firing". Then a bunch of people would jump in and say "it's a magazine, not a clip. Noob!". I would respond "you're Wrong! the clip is the thingie that holds the bullets" which would get people even more riled up. Eventually I'd post a picture of my pistol:

http://www.employees.org/~beetle/c96/IMG_4170.jpg

:43:

Massappeal
04-27-2011, 1:44 PM
I want a AK with a banana clip! :D

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 1:51 PM

I refer to a Maglite as a Cliplite all the time.:D

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 1:51 PM
I used to troll various forums posting something like "So i was at the range firing my pistol, then I loaded the next clip and starting firing". Then a bunch of people would jump in and say "it's a magazine, not a clip. Noob!". I would respond "you're Wrong! the clip is the thingie that holds the bullets" which would get people even more riled up. Eventually I'd post a picture of my pistol:

You are horrible...:D

tonelar
04-27-2011, 1:52 PM
Beetle? That's hilarious!

Just helping you out, but you might want to spell check yours before you get reamed.

Haha thanks, Crazy.

ipalmer
04-27-2011, 3:25 PM
I like to purposefully refer to mags as 'clips' just so I can laugh when people like you get irritated. Seriously...who gives a ****?

Jayhawker
04-27-2011, 3:26 PM
Who would argue with a manufacturer? Marlin Firearms called their removable cartridge contraptions on their rimfire rifles "clips" for years and only recently changed their website to read "clip magazines". I think other manufacturers had done the same. Wouldn't they know better than us?

sigfan91
04-27-2011, 4:10 PM
I like to purposefully refer to mags as 'clips' just so I can laugh when people like you get irritated. Seriously...who gives a ****?

Do you have any clip subscription?

quagmiles
04-27-2011, 4:15 PM
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FirearmsGlossary/

Quote:
CLIP
A device for holding a group of cartridges. Semantic wars have been fought over the word, with some insisting it is not a synonym for "detachable magazine." For 80 years, however, it has been so used by manufacturers and the military. There is no argument that it can also mean a separate device for holding and transferring a group of cartridges to a fixed or detachable magazine or as a device inserted with cartridges into the mechanism of a firearm becoming, in effect, part of that mechanism.

The NRA.

bug_eyedmonster
04-27-2011, 4:29 PM

When I was working in various gun stores, I hear this mistake on a hourly, if not on an "every-other-minute" basis. Biggest example, person comes in... "I need a clip for my M1." He could be referring to a magazine for a M1A or M1 Carbine, or a clip for a M1 Garand. Try explaining the difference 15 to 20 times a day. I used to keep a 10 pack of stripper clips for AR mags in my range bag so when a friend would ask for "an extra clip" I'd hand them to him.

It's definately worth ranting about for me, as I deal with it daily, just as I'm sure you've ranted about something I'd most likely roll my eyes to. :D

bug_eyedmonster
04-27-2011, 4:31 PM

AWESOME. BEETLE = WINNER.

cali_armz
04-27-2011, 4:42 PM
a newb referring to a magazine as a "clip" reminds me of a newb at weightlifting referring to conditioning as "toned"

cali_armz
04-27-2011, 4:46 PM
R.I.P

i agree. it shocked me when i heard nate had passed away. he was way too young

Ultimate
04-27-2011, 4:51 PM

I second this. I don't care which people use I still understand what they are talking about so its no biggie to me.

Rob454
04-27-2011, 4:53 PM
It just never bothers me. The terms have become so interchangeable I just don't see it as a huge deal if someone calls a magazine a clip or vice versa. i know guys who are in the military and they still call mags clips.

beretta929mm
04-27-2011, 5:49 PM
If people prefer to call a magazine a clip, so be it. What is the big deal? Not everyone is gun savy. When a customer can not correctly identify an auto part, does the mechanic get irritated?

Bigtwin
04-27-2011, 6:25 PM
If people prefer to call a magazine a clip, so be it. What is the big deal? Not everyone is gun savy. When a customer can not correctly identify an auto part, does the mechanic get irritated?

YES, but only to myself behind closed doors. Never to the customer. The reason for this is when trying to diagnose something and the customer states an incorrect part, it takes me longer(=customer more$), to find the problem. then again I know customers don't normaly understand, that is why I try to explain the differences so they do understand better, thus helping me identify the problem easier(=customer less$). Happy customer = tell more folks about us!:D

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2011, 9:23 PM
YES, but only to myself behind closed doors. Never to the customer. The reason for this is when trying to diagnose something and the customer states an incorrect part, it takes me longer(=customer more$), to find the problem. then again I know customers don't normaly understand, that is why I try to explain the differences so they do understand better, thus helping me identify the problem easier(=customer less$). Happy customer = tell more folks about us!:D

You're just an elitist....

if I want to call an alternator a generator, or a rheostat a thermostat, or a throttle body a carburator, I should be able to without being scorned behind my back. I have a right to be a darned fool!

;)

evidens83
04-27-2011, 9:25 PM
BFD we all know what they mean dont we :shrug: