PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Accuracy

CrossedRifles
04-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Took the new Sig Sauer P226 a while ago to Angeles.

Shot 100 rounds of 124 Gr. Federal 9MM HST and it was all over the place.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't flinching or anything, and the trigger pull on SA mode is very light for the P226. Is it normal to be like this for a new gun?

Do sights need to be adjusted normally?

Thanks.

erikdjs
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
If it's all over the place then it's not the sights. You'd know it's the sights if it was grouping together off point of aim (i.e. all to the left of the target or all to the right etc)

Sounds like user error.

j1133s
04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Took the new Sig Sauer P226 a while ago to Angeles.

Shot 100 rounds of 124 Gr. Federal 9MM HST and it was all over the place.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't flinching or anything, and the trigger pull on SA mode is very light for the P226. Is it normal to be like this for a new gun?

Do sights need to be adjusted normally?

Thanks.

Try shooting off a rest and see.

PandaLuv
04-27-2011, 1:18 AM
Try shooting with snap caps.

When I dry fire my gun, I don't flinch but when I was shooting i kind of noticed that I flinched when I used snap caps with live ammo at the range.

9mmepiphany
04-27-2011, 1:30 AM
You don't say what distance you were shooting at, but it does sound like it wasn't the gun.

I'd also suggest you try shooting it off a rest or have someone else try it to see if it does the same thing for them.

All over the place usually means either the guns sights were not on a consistent spot when you pulled the trigger or that you're not managing the trigger correctly...either way it isn't the gun

rdmax
04-27-2011, 7:04 AM
I have had several Sigs in the past. I kind of shot all over the place as well compared to my 1911s. Then I got a crimson trace lazer grip and a Streamlight lazer light combo. Tried both of them on various Sigs and once I got used to using them, shot nice little groups with it. Other than a loose sight, it is probably you and not the gun.

I changed to the SRT trigger and that helped a lot with my form. The standard Sig trigger seemed too long to break for me causing me to move by the time the hammer dropped. The SRT gives me a trigger break more like a 1911 that I was accustomed to. So, my groups improved significantly with the SRT.

So, the lasers proved it was me and not the gun. The SRT helped improve my shooting, so it was all about the type of trigger feel for me.

Army
04-27-2011, 8:14 AM
Quit looking at the target. Front sight focus, and steady pressure on the trigger, focus should remain on the front sight after the shot. Don't worry about results at the target, that will take care of itself.

kanikas
04-27-2011, 8:18 AM
^^ Bingo. It sounds like you're focusing on the rear sight or the target instead of the front sight.

USMC 82-86
04-27-2011, 7:36 PM
I agree, front sight focus. I just sold my Sig P226 in .40 and that was a very accurate pistol. When I focused on the front sight at 10 yards in slow fire mode I can cover 10 rounds with a quarter, some edges may be just beyond the quarter.

As stated earlier if the sights were off you would still group but just off center. If the rounds were everywhere then trigger control or anticipation of recoil may have been the problem. Next time you shoot your Sig try to fire a couple mags in DAO, just decock after every shot and master that first pull. If you do this that second pull is sweet. Good luck.

BamBam-31
04-27-2011, 8:21 PM
We usually go up to ASR on Sundays. Shoot me a PM when you go up next, and I'll help you out with your pistol and/or pistol shooting. :)