PDA

View Full Version : How specific is "The Roster"?

GettoPhilosopher
04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
So....inquiring with different online stores about buying handguns and having them shipped to CA. One thing that's confused me is how specific the Roster is or isn't.

So for instance, I email Budsgunshop regarding a handgun that (by model) is on the Roster, and is in a CA compliant format (I believe it was a MA model). Their response is "No, that model is not on the CA roster".

Am I missing some other, more specific Roster? I mean, if the roster says "P226R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy 40 S&W", why the h3ll would one P226R (blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy, 40 S&W and another supposedly not be?

Fud? Or am I missing something?

leelaw
04-27-2011, 1:02 AM
Buds will not break apart guns that come with large capacity magazines, and a P226R is a general description and could include SAO, DAO, DAK, or other mechanic styles, which are not approved.

Was it one of those?

GettoPhilosopher
04-27-2011, 1:19 AM
Buds will not break apart guns that come with large capacity magazines, and a P226R is a general description and could include SAO, DAO, DAK, or other mechanic styles, which are not approved.

Was it one of those?

Nope. P226R with 10rd mag, normal action. That's what confused me....so say, for instance, that I wanted to buy a FN Five seveN from DS Arms and have them ship it. The roster says:
FN 5.7 U.S.G. (Matte Black) / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.8" 5.7x28mm

As I understand that, it means I can buy a FN 5.7 USG (black) from any place that'll ship one to my FFL (either with 10rd mags, or parts kits). I should be able to go here (http://www.dsarms.com/Five-SeveN-USG--57X28MM-Cal-Black-Three-20-Rnd-Mag---3868929120/productinfo/3868929120/) and order one.

Or would it come to my FFL only to be rejected because "It's not a CA Model"?

Bulleh
04-27-2011, 1:24 AM
So....inquiring with different online stores about buying handguns and having them shipped to CA. One thing that's confused me is how specific the Roster is or isn't.

So for instance, I email Budsgunshop regarding a handgun that (by model) is on the Roster, and is in a CA compliant format (I believe it was a MA model). Their response is "No, that model is not on the CA roster".

Am I missing some other, more specific Roster? I mean, if the roster says "P226R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy 40 S&W", why the h3ll would one P226R (blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy, 40 S&W and another supposedly not be?

Fud? Or am I missing something?

The roster is very specific and at the same time its not. It states which gun is allowed, but when you consider factors such as color, trigger type etc they don't fall into the same category, although it doesn't specify that.

The roster is a pain in the butt for us to understand, but we do it cause we have to suffer... I mean know the law here. For suppliers outside of CA, many times they just don't want to deal with the pain and hassle of our laws and simply say roster guns are not allowed in CA because they don't want to risk getting in trouble.

chad68
04-27-2011, 5:02 AM
The people who write up that roster ate paint chips when they were kids.

It blows me away that a given gun in a blue finish can be on the list and bought in CA but the exact same gun in a stainless finish is not on the list. Is stainless too bright and the shooter may accidently shoot somebody? Or one gun that has a 6" barrel is on the list but the exact same gun with a 4" or 8" barrel is not.

If you're interested in buying a new gun in CA for your growing collection, forget about looking at manufactures websites, you will only be let down when your dream gun is only purchaseable if it's a different color or barrel length, or has wood grips, night sights blah blah blah.

Old4eyes
04-27-2011, 8:17 AM
The people who write up that roster ate paint chips when they were kids......

It's also a scheme to create paranoia which in turn restricts gun sales, especially on the part of an FFL who doesn't need/want the hassle of selling a gun "illegally" and then trying to get it back from the purchaser.

If the roster used the SKU number, then the manufacturer gets locked into a number that they may want to change. For example if they want to sell Cal legal SKU123456 and then add a holster/mag package for marketing purpose, do they still call it SKU123456 and get it confused with the original number, or do they call it SKU123456A to differentiate it and run the risk of the FUD on the re-seller.

I had the problem with Smith & Wesson in their 1911 line. They called all their models either SW1911 or SW1911PD, depending on if they had a steel or alloy frame. I was attempting to get an alloy frame with the rail. I had to convince the store from which I was purchasing that I thought it was legal by the fact that the list showed an alloy frame that was 5 inch barrel, and that at the time I bought the gun, Smith only had 1 gun in their catalogue that matched that description.

Yea, total BS. Change the color of the gun, give it a different model number for stocking/selling purposes and voila, it's not legal.

Retirement and moving out of this state can't come soon enough.