PDA

View Full Version : Beretta neos has been dropped from the CA list

dexter9659
04-26-2011, 10:54 PM
FYI.

The Beretta Neos is no long on the CA approved handgun list and cannot be sold to non-LEO.

Zartan
04-27-2011, 4:31 AM
Have a link for the reason?

CharlesV
04-27-2011, 4:46 AM
It joins the Bobcat (which im looking for). Over the Bobcat i had several email exchanges with Beretta and they told me that among the CA requirements are hefty annual fees to stay on the list whether or not there are any sales. But, once they dont pay and let the firearm go off the list they cannot re-certify later so the Neos is gone for good. Not that i love the Neos but i hate to see the list getting shorter.

I dont know the specific reason for the Neos but its often a marketing issue, not enough sales to justify remaining on the list. Other times CA wants the firearm to stand for some sort of a test and the MFR doesnt want to pay the fees for the test so they let the firearm expire.

I didnt know that. So i looked foolish when i suggested to Beretta that when they experience low sales they let the item go and then re-introduce it later, say for a year, when demand becomes pent up again. Example, every five years, re-certify for one year and enjoy high sales for that period. Well, aint gonna happen.

I derived from our conversation that high fees may be a deliberate measure to force firearms off the CA market so look for an ever-shortening list. Some helpful advice might be to continue to cull the list for early expirations and really think hard if youd like to own a certain something, it might be your last chance. One can also contact the MFR and ask if they plan to pay or expire the firearm. It would be quite correct to assume that an Approved firearm will not automatically remain so.

VictorFranko
04-27-2011, 4:53 AM
↑ ↑ This, they didn't cough up the dough to stay on the list.

TheDeej
04-27-2011, 5:54 AM
I think most people just looked at it and that was enough for them not to bother with it. It is an UGLY gun, but I held one and now I have one. PPT, that's how I got mine earlier this month

cnj
04-27-2011, 6:04 AM
Whatever the reason, it is a shame. The Neos is an awesome gun. Everyone that fires mine always loves it.

TheDeej
04-27-2011, 3:43 PM
Whatever the reason, it is a shame. The Neos is an awesome gun. Everyone that fires mine always loves it.

Agreed.

949S_GP100
04-28-2011, 8:46 AM
BTW this gun has a large recall and I just sent mine in.

http://www.berettasupport.com/neos/

not a big deal to some but I would rather have it fixed and now the gun is in full working order.

Happy Plinking Everyone!

Ripon83
04-28-2011, 8:49 AM
Someone posted there was a $250 fee and a requirement to submit several of the firearms (that are not returned) to get on the list. I don't know about the requirement to maintain status on the list; it would seem that if nothing on the gun changed it wouldn't have to be tested again? I don't remember anything in the law formulating the list charging an annual or ongoing fee to remain on the list? Or what was required for renewal.

Colt, for example, has several 1911's on the list. It has several commemoratives on the list. They introduce an order only commemorative 1911 for the 100 year anniversary and to my knowledge have not even tried to get it on the list. Sad.

Excelsior
04-28-2011, 9:04 AM
If the design of the handgun meets CA specifications, there is not a great deal of $$$ and effort in placing a gun on the approved list. My guess is that the Beretta Neos Phaser is not a huge selling gun (I bet the S&W 22A is kicking the heck out of it) and maybe it's just not worth their time to re-list it?

well206
04-28-2011, 2:36 PM
Bummer... had my eye on the carbine kit, though not sure it would have been CA legal. Would be cool to have a Star Trek looking firearm.

Dion
04-28-2011, 5:50 PM
Got mine; love it. The carbine kit is CA legal (source: their website)

cnj
04-28-2011, 7:32 PM
If the design of the handgun meets CA specifications, there is not a great deal of $$$ and effort in placing a gun on the approved list. My guess is that the Beretta Neos Phaser is not a huge selling gun (I bet the S&W 22A is kicking the heck out of it) and maybe it's just not worth their time to re-list it?

Based on all I have read, no way the 22A is a better gun. No way. Sales-wise, based on sheer sales numbers, maybe. I really think the Neos has "love-it" or "hate-it" looks, and that is probably what is hurting sales. Personally, I love mine, and I am thankful to own one.

Excelsior
04-28-2011, 9:32 PM
Based on all I have read, no way the 22A is a better gun. No way. Sales-wise, based on sheer sales numbers, maybe. I really think the Neos has "love-it" or "hate-it" looks, and that is probably what is hurting sales. Personally, I love mine, and I am thankful to own one.
I have shot the phaser but not the 22A. The phaser seems very comfortable, OK trigger and decent accuracy. If I was going to buy one I would compare it to the 22A and the blued Ruger 22/45 with a 5.5" barrel. About the same price. I suspect I would end-up with the Ruger...

Cokebottle
04-28-2011, 9:54 PM
I think most people just looked at it and that was enough for them not to bother with it. It is an UGLY gun, but I held one and now I have one. PPT, that's how I got mine earlier this month
It's a cool gun when your 6 favorite movies all start with "Star" and end with I, II, III, IV, V, or VI

Dion
04-29-2011, 6:53 AM
The Neos is accurate and a great "feel" - in fact, it felt the best out of the Walther P22, Browning Buckmark and the Ruger MkIII. I am able to stay on a 6" black @ 15 yards with my 4.5" barrel through 4 sequencial magazines, stock sights only. That's good for my limited skills.

I REALLY wish they (either Beretta or an aftermarket) would come up with some decent sights. I painted mine white and I feel like I'm aiming with a TicTac glued to the front. Some nice, thin, iron sights would be great.

I know TruGlo had some fiber ones before - but I can't find them anymore.

X-NewYawker
04-29-2011, 8:37 AM
Neos was poop from the start. Browning buckmark. Ruger Mark II all kick it's butt. Just looks cool. I bought two for my kids -- first range day rear sights flew off the gun. And I heard it was more than $250 to keep on list. Usually Co. lets drop from list when they stop making that model. BTW -- at the SHOT show MANY manufacturers told me they weren't even going to submit any of their new guns to CA list because the safety requirements could either not be met or would ruin the guns for the rest of the country (like that "special blend" gas we have to buy only here -- CA just puts it in our ***)
Springfield Armory has 1911 models that they would have dropped from the line but they keep them going because they are on the CA list and the newer models would not be approved.

CSACANNONEER
04-29-2011, 8:44 AM
No big loss. Every one that I've seen has had parts fall off or break withing 10,000 rounds. That's not acceptable to me. Any decent .22lr handgun should last for a minimum of 100K before any wear is detected.

thunderbolt
04-29-2011, 5:02 PM
Like they say you either love it or you don't. It's a shame that it's dropping from the list though even if you hate it. On a side note I wonder what touchy-feely, guilt-easing, political boondoggle that money goes to anyway. Anyway when the NEOS drops and I want to sell mine (I don't) I can only sell it to a LEO? How does that work?

Bartin
04-29-2011, 5:07 PM
You can sell it to non-LEO, it just has to be an actual face-to-face private-party transfer. No shipping.
Like they say you either love it or you don't. It's a shame that it's dropping from the list though even if you hate it. On a side note I wonder what touchy-feely, guilt-easing, political boondoggle that money goes to anyway. Anyway when the NEOS drops and I want to sell mine (I don't) I can only sell it to a LEO? How does that work?

CharlesV
05-02-2011, 4:27 PM
The Bobcat that i still want is still being sold in the other states, with INOX finish the most recent addition. Beretta wouldnt tell me the exact specific reason the Bobcat was dropped, they only spoke generally and said that once off the list you cannot re-apply. I suggested they change something on the gun and list it new and they said NO. Perhaps its both a marketing issue and also a safety issue but if it met the requirements all along, why suddenly it doesnt? What is it about CA? The competitive Phoenix .22 (Raven Arms) is (to me) utter unsafe crap and poorly made and there it is on the list year after after year.

Sometimes i dont know whose side the MFR is on.

Excelsior
06-07-2011, 11:42 PM
FYI.

The Beretta Neos is no long on the CA approved handgun list and cannot be sold to non-LEO.

I didn't think much of the Neos until I shot one with the optional carbine stock. NICE! Too bad it's being lost...

EETERNAL
06-08-2011, 2:36 AM
Another one bites the dust.....................................

Cokebottle
06-08-2011, 4:42 PM
I didn't think much of the Neos until I shot one with the optional carbine stock. NICE! Too bad it's being lost...
http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/large/U22-NEOS-CARBINE-KIT-45.jpg

Why do people do this? Same with the Glock "rifle" conversions.
Once installed, it can never be removed. That's a 50-state issue, not California.

Izzy43
06-09-2011, 4:41 PM
WOW, money just to keep a firearm on the list? Just another stupid regulation in this state, like many other regulations that limit our choices and run companies out of California. Big reason why the state is loosing revenue, no job creation and going broke, then the gov looks for ways to extract more of our hard earned money from us in the form of taxes and fees. Mindless, liberal, stupid, ignorant, selfish, corrupt politicians. Rant over.

Texas looks better and better every day. Wish I could convince my wife.

BrianRodela
06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I am curious as why one specifically wouldn't be able to convert it back and forth between pistol and carbine? To my knowlege, there are more restrictions for handguns than long guns.

glock_this
06-10-2011, 2:52 PM
It's a cool gun when your 6 favorite movies all start with "Star" and end with I, II, III, IV, V, or VI

Didn't Flash Gordon use a Beretta Neos ;)

Kestryll
06-10-2011, 3:59 PM
Posts advocating illegal conversions removed.

DO NOT REPOST INCORRECT LEGAL ADVICE OR FUD.

Excelsior
06-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Your previous post was removed for offering illegal advice. You posted this again.

Do it again, and watch what happens.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
FYI.

Cannot be sold by a dealer (or shipped) to a non-LEO, quite correct. PPT is still ok.

I pick my 6" version up next Tuesday. My wife has the 4.5" version and she loves it and allows me to shoot it, occasionally.

In a conversation with my favorite dealer last week, he mentioned he had talked with the Beretta area rep and they were going to get it back on the list. Wait and see.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-11-2011, 11:56 AM
We are CalGuns.

We will release California from the tyranny of the Evil List.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v._Cid

Excelsior
06-11-2011, 2:06 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=227314

Be sure to read the bottom part of the letter.

Q.E.D.

Cokebottle
06-11-2011, 2:14 PM

Q.E.D.
That letter refers specifically to the Thompson, and ALL parts must be purchased together from a single source.

Go ahead and play with a Neos, but it would be advisable to get your own specific letter from the BATFE for your specific application.

Also, in the letter posted, the answers to question #1 and #2 are not included.
There is no definitive "yes, it's legal" in what is posted.

CSACANNONEER
06-11-2011, 2:26 PM

Q.E.D.

I suggest that you read the ENTIRE letter and understand what you are reading before giving bad legal advice that going to land someone in Club Fed for 10 years.

QED.

CHS
06-11-2011, 4:40 PM
I am curious as why one specifically wouldn't be able to convert it back and forth between pistol and carbine? To my knowlege, there are more restrictions for handguns than long guns.

Because federal law defines a rifle as a firearm that's designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder and has a rifled bore. Then they go on further to define a rifle as "any firearm made from a rifle".

So, you take a Beretta Neos. You have a handgun. You then add a 16" rifled barrel and a rifle stock. Now you have a LEGAL rifle. Then, you remove the 16" barrel and rifle stock and convert it back to a handgun. You now have a rifle. Still. But since the overall length is now less than 26" and the barrel length is less than 16", it's defined as a title 2 short barreled rifle.

So now not only is the gun a rifle, but it's also a federal felony, 10 years in jail, and up to a quarter million dollar fine. Yay!

It's that whole federal felony and 10 years in prison being the reason we take talk about it so seriously around here.

JoeinLA
07-11-2011, 7:54 AM
I love this forum. My contribution will be made shortly. I may be new, but this site has proven to be an INVALUABLE resource.

live2shoot
08-22-2011, 7:56 PM
The volume of U22's would not justify the annual $3000 fee for certifying the pistol. Think you will see a lot of weapons disappear off the list, so you better buy fast. Don't forget, we live in an anti-gun state with a huge deficit. Given both situations, I think you can see where we are headed.

CaliforniaLiberal
08-22-2011, 8:24 PM
The volume of U22's would not justify the annual $3000 fee for certifying the pistol. Think you will see a lot of weapons disappear off the list, so you better buy fast. Don't forget, we live in an anti-gun state with a huge deficit. Given both situations, I think you can see where we are headed.

What $3000 annual fee?

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/pena/Pena-v-Cid-Amended-Complaint.pdf

Paragraph 21

"The initial and renewal annual listing fees for inclusion on the “safe handgun”
roster are $200"

Merc1138
08-22-2011, 8:30 PM

Keep in mind there were 8 neos models on the roster, so beretta was in the hole selling to CA on top of their own costs, and without enough sales to back that up they lose money.

Also consider the recall, even if beretta swiftly got customers taken care of, a recall still taints a product line for resellers and customers. I would imagine that sales tanked for the 1st quarter after the recall, and without recovering in the 2nd quarter beretta let them drop off the roster.

77bawls
08-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Neos was poop from the start. Browning buckmark. Ruger Mark II all kick it's butt. Just looks cool. I bought two for my kids -- first range day rear sights flew off the gun. And I heard it was more than $250 to keep on list. Usually Co. lets drop from list when they stop making that model. BTW -- at the SHOT show MANY manufacturers told me they weren't even going to submit any of their new guns to CA list because the safety requirements could either not be met or would ruin the guns for the rest of the country (like that "special blend" gas we have to buy only here -- CA just puts it in our ***)
Springfield Armory has 1911 models that they would have dropped from the line but they keep them going because they are on the CA list and the newer models would not be approved.
I bet if every manufacture didn't pay the list would be dropped so fast in court it would make the legislators heads spin.