PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 Spec

energizer
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a question about RIA 1911 spec. Is RIA 1911 a mil spec model? Can it fit the standard 1911 parts (hammers, triggers, etc) and upgrades without much gunsmithing?

I looked at Taurus PT1911 and that cannot use standard 1911 parts, is that same with RIA 1911?

Thanks.

JanG
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
ria guns are supposedly made with original colt tooling from wwII

robcoe
04-27-2011, 6:13 AM
I have a question about RIA 1911 spec. Is RIA 1911 a mil spec model? Can it fit the standard 1911 parts (hammers, triggers, etc) and upgrades without much gunsmithing?

I looked at Taurus PT1911 and that cannot use standard 1911 parts, is that same with RIA 1911?

Thanks.

yes you can use standard 1911 parts in an RIA. Most of them(except the ones that always require gunsmithing) will basically be drop in.

I have not done much to my RIA(yet) but so far barrels and grip safety's definitely fit fine.

energizer
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
I appreciate all the responses. How does RIA keeps the costs low? Is there any compromise compared to the 1911 leaders?

Thanks.

timmy8151
04-28-2011, 11:44 AM
RIA guns are made in the Phillipines where labor costs are low

rodeoflyer
04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
RIA guns are made in the Phillipines where labor costs are low

Yup.

If you want an inexpensive 1911, take a look at the Auto Ordnance. Made in U.S.A and only @ $100 more.

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_pkz.html

Agent Tikki
04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
And them Philipinos are 1911 fanatics :D

PandaLuv
04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
OP, if you want a 1911, I would save up more.
I love 1911, it's a classic. I think it's the AK of pistols.
But I would I get a Colt or Springfield. Good quality all American.

IrishPirate
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
How does RIA keeps the costs low?

they share sweatshops with Nike. those little fingers are good for tight stitching, and putting little springs in the right place.

rodeoflyer
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Springfield isn't all American. :(

The Auto Ordnance frames are cast in Spain. Everything else is machined and fitted here.

Almost forgot to add: If it's not a Colt - it's a clone! :D

PandaLuv
04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Springfield isn't all American. :(

The Auto Ordnance frames are cast in Spain. Everything else is machined and fitted here.

Almost forgot to add: If it's not a Colt - it's a clone! :D

Really? Well parts of it made in brazil, by they are assembled here, aren't they?

Lol well said though, Colt started making 1911 :)

rodeoflyer
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Really? Well parts of it made in brazil, by they are assembled here, aren't they?

Lol well said though, Colt started making 1911 :)

Brazil, Croatia,...

Hard to find a Springfield though for $500-$550 :o

energizer
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Yesterday I went to my local gun shop (Reeds) and the person on the counter was an older gentleman who loved 1911. I asked him about his opinion about the colt 1911 anniversary model. He replied that he wouldn't buy it. He added that colt is just a name now days. He ordered a 1913 from a person in NY who hardens those.

Also recently one of my coworkers sold his Kimber Match target for $500. He was ready to sell me for $400 but I thought that I can get it any time from him. When I called him, I was late by 2-3 months :(

Cyc Wid It
04-28-2011, 1:04 PM
Heh Colt is better than ever now with new QC/machinery, I don't know what you're talking about. Also, some RIA models have irregular sight cuts.

energizer
04-28-2011, 1:12 PM
Heh Colt is better than ever now with new QC/machinery, I don't know what you're talking about. Also, some RIA models have irregular sight cuts.

I did not mean to start a debate but the person behind the counter deterred me from buying the colt 1911. He mentioned that Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson Combat are good names with quality over Colt.

I have no doubt that Colt was the pioneer.

Rekrab
04-28-2011, 1:16 PM
Ford may have made the first assembly-line produced car, but that doesn't mean they make the best. :)

The RIA GI is great if you want to learn about tooling around with a 1911. When I had one I spent an extra hundred and bought the MilSpec. The only down side is that the MilSpec sight cuts aren't standard and will need to be modified if you want to use after-market sights.

Cyc Wid It
04-28-2011, 1:20 PM
I did not mean to start a debate but the person behind the counter deterred me from buying the colt 1911. He mentioned that Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson Combat are good names with quality over Colt.

I have no doubt that Colt was the pioneer.

As a reference I own both a Les Baer and a Colt (older). Les Baer, Wilson, etc. are all semi-custom shops that make guns starting at a much higher price point. I'll take one of the new Series 70 Colt Reproductions over just about any Kimber barring the older original Kimber customs.

I don't suppose your particular gunshop just happens to stock Kimbers rather than Colts?

energizer
04-28-2011, 1:51 PM
As a reference I own both a Les Baer and a Colt (older). Les Baer, Wilson, etc. are all semi-custom shops that make guns starting at a much higher price point. I'll take one of the new Series 70 Colt Reproductions over just about any Kimber barring the older original Kimber customs.

I don't suppose your particular gunshop just happens to stock Kimbers rather than Colts?

The person was a pro 1911 and he did believe in older colts. Just not the newer manufactured ones. Another customer standing next to me also asserted what he said.

I went to the shop to find more about engraved CZ and we talked about the Colt 1911 anniversary edition. He cleanly said that he wouldn't buy the new anniversary edition Colt.

I did see a few Kimbers in stock. It didn't seem that he was pushing Kimber over Colt though. I don't know if a Colt firearm gets him less margin than the Kimber.

morrcarr67
04-28-2011, 6:35 PM

So you consider a Brazilian made 1911 to be "All American"?

Cokebottle
04-28-2011, 6:45 PM
yes you can use standard 1911 parts in an RIA. Most of them(except the ones that always require gunsmithing) will basically be drop in.
Not my experience.

I wanted to replace the ambi safety on my Tactical with a left-thumb-only.
The first one that I bought (Ed Brown), the pin was too big to fit through the hole in the frame.
2nd one was a standard Colt. It fits, but it will need some fitting to properly engage the seer. It will go in, but it will not move all the way off of "safe"... goes halfway and stops, still blocking the slide.

I replaced my guide rod and plug with GI parts. The plug fits, but the rear of the guide rod is very tight. It goes in and works fine, but it is not properly fitted.

energizer
04-28-2011, 9:36 PM
Not my experience.

The first one that I bought (Ed Brown), the pin was too big to fit through the hole in the frame.
2nd one was a standard Colt. It fits, but it will need some fitting to properly engage the seer. It will go in, but it will not move all the way off of "safe"... goes halfway and stops, still blocking the slide.

I replaced my guide rod and plug with GI parts. The plug fits, but the rear of the guide rod is very tight. It goes in and works fine, but it is not properly fitted.

Hmmm... interesting experience

railroader
04-29-2011, 5:07 AM
I had a ria tactical and found that few things weren't spec. The first was the sights weren't novak cuts even though they looked like it. On the frame the pin hole for the main spring housing was farther down on the frame. When I installed a kimber mainspring housing and well they was a pretty good gap so I had to rework the kimber parts.

Q619
04-29-2011, 5:18 AM
Not my experience.

The "pin" as you stated, is supposed to be oversized. This allows for proper fitting.

Cokebottle
04-29-2011, 5:00 PM
The "pin" as you stated, is supposed to be oversized. This allows for proper fitting.
I don't disagree. I was countering the assertions that most standard 1911 parts are a drop-in with no gunsmithing or fitting required.

glock7
04-29-2011, 5:40 PM
And them Philipinos are 1911 fanatics :D

Filipinos....and yes we love our guns....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfU69ETWyIA&feature=related

Max008
04-29-2011, 7:26 PM
So I take it that buying the RIA 1911 and converting it to a 10mm with parts from http://www.fusionfirearms.com/ is out of the question? OR with alot of gunsmithing?

Cokebottle
04-29-2011, 8:43 PM
So I take it that buying the RIA 1911 and converting it to a 10mm with parts from http://www.fusionfirearms.com/ is out of the question? OR with alot of gunsmithing?
Tough call.

The .38 Super is a frequent 9mm conversion "victim", but I believe they are using RIA parts for the project.

C.W.M.V.
04-29-2011, 8:54 PM
Ok the thing with RIA 1911 parts is that they are compatible with anything made for a COLT 1911. If you try to put a Kimber, springfield, wilson, etc etc part on it it may not fit because to some extent they are cut/shaped differently.

OP, Ive swapped parts between my RIA and Colt 70 series without issue.
I honestly perfer my RIA. Awesome gun, with one of the largest aftermarket parts selection of all of firearms.
It shoots straight, and it shoots reliably. If it doesnt, well RIA also happens to have one of the best warranties in the industry as well.

As to Ambi safteys and such, they are supposed to be fit to the gun, so regardless some parts are going to have to be altered as that is how they were desinged to be installed.
Oh and Novak sights do fit the tactical model, just requires some fitting to the sight, been done many times. On my RIA GI officers model I installed some of the 10-8 sights for a Colt 70. No problems, smooth as silk.

biker777
04-29-2011, 9:10 PM
I picked up a new RIA 1911 Match and so far I can find no fault, its fit is excellent and its a very accurate out of the box gun.. I wont be changing anything on it at all..as of right now I love it as is...and the act-mag that came with it and 3 new ones all feed with no problems every type ammo I threw at it, ..

Cokebottle
04-29-2011, 9:20 PM
As to Ambi safteys and such, they are supposed to be fit to the gun, so regardless some parts are going to have to be altered as that is how they were desinged to be installed.
But the impression that a lot of people are getting (myself included) is that they are indeed "drop in" replacements. These impressions are based on comments of owners who make those statements and don't indicate that "fitting will be required"

If fitting is needed, it's not "drop in"
It's not something "Joe new gun owner" can do when he field strips it for cleaning.

C.W.M.V.
04-29-2011, 10:01 PM
But the impression that a lot of people are getting (myself included) is that they are indeed "drop in" replacements. These impressions are based on comments of owners who make those statements and don't indicate that "fitting will be required"

If fitting is needed, it's not "drop in"
It's not something "Joe new gun owner" can do when he field strips it for cleaning.

Alot of them are though. For instance the 10-8 sights I installed on my Commander or the arched MSH on my RIA fullsize, both drop right in.
There are parts for Colts that require fitting, usually that is indicated when its sold (iirc midway or Brownells has that warning on some parts) but that is true weather its going into an RIA or a Colt 70 or a Remington rand. Its just part of owning a 1911.

JanG
04-30-2011, 12:49 AM
I had a ria tactical and found that few things weren't spec. The first was the sights weren't novak cuts even though they looked like it. On the frame the pin hole for the main spring housing was farther down on the frame. When I installed a kimber mainspring housing and well they was a pretty good gap so I had to rework the kimber parts.

dawson precision has ria specific sights. they are cut a little deeper than novaks.

InGrAM
04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Ok the thing with RIA 1911 parts is that they are compatible with anything made for a COLT 1911. If you try to put a Kimber, springfield, wilson, etc etc part on it it may not fit because to some extent they are cut/shaped differently.

I honestly perfer my RIA. Awesome gun, with one of the largest aftermarket parts selection of all of firearms.
It shoots straight, and it shoots reliably. If it doesnt, well RIA also happens to have one of the best warranties in the industry as well.

Oh and Novak sights do fit the tactical model, just requires some fitting to the sight, been done many times. On my RIA GI officers model I installed some of the 10-8 sights for a Colt 70. No problems, smooth as silk.

+1 to this. From my experience with my colt and RIA gi they are virtually identical.

and to the "fitting parts" it is very simple. It takes a small file set and sometime (with safeties). Not much involved at all.

railroader
04-30-2011, 3:21 AM
dawson precision has ria specific sights. they are cut a little deeper than novaks.
I know I was one of the 1st people to get a fiber optic front sight from them. I sent them my slide so they could make measurements. The problem I had was with two different tactical slides, The dovetail cut depth on one was ten to 15 thousands of an inch different than on the other. The same height front sight wouldn't shoot to point of aim in both slides. The first slide I sent dawson was fine. I then got a replacement slide from RIA and with the exact same front sight the gun shot low because of the dovetail cut depth. That would make ordering the correct height front sight a little difficult.

energizer
04-30-2011, 10:23 PM

I picked up a new RIA 1911 Match and so far I can find no fault, its fit is excellent and its a very accurate out of the box gun.. I wont be changing anything on it at all..as of right now I love it as is...and the act-mag that came with it and 3 new ones all feed with no problems every type ammo I threw at it, ..

+1 to this. From my experience with my colt and RIA gi they are virtually identical.

and to the "fitting parts" it is very simple. It takes a small file set and sometime (with safeties). Not much involved at all.

Thanks for the input.