View Full Version : Intrafamillial "evil weapon" transfer

04-26-2011, 8:33 PM
Hey everybody, new to calguns and had a question I couldn't seem to get an answer to from the other forums.

I'm a CA resident and know about the AW/"evil gun" laws here in CA. What I want to know is, can I legally receive an AW from my dad if he lives in a state where a specific model is legal or is at least a pre-ban weapon?

I ask about pre-ban because he has a chinese made AK replica (semi-auto) with a 20something round magazine. He also has a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, but since he does not live in CA it doesn't have a bullet button. He said he doesn't take the time to shoot these and wants to give them to me.

So, can I legally receive these from my dad? Do I need to register them with the DOJ and that's it? Do I NEED to get a bullet button or other mod done first?

04-26-2011, 8:49 PM
negative on the rifle and mags if it IS listed by make and model. the only way is if you were here and you had it before 2000 and papered it. :(

im guessing norinco mac90?

George W
04-26-2011, 9:04 PM
Correct if it was listed by name you can't bring it into the state anymore period.
If it is a pre ban rifle and wasn't registered here in Calif back then by you and your caught with it. You will loose it at the very least.
If it was listed under the ban it is an AW in Calif. Putting a BB on it won't make a difference.
Even if you both lived in Calif and he registered it as an AW back then he can't even give, will or sell to you. He can give them to you but you can't legally bring them in or have them in Calif. You would have to keep them outside Calif.
Sucks but thats the way it stands right now.

04-26-2011, 9:07 PM
The AW laws don't change just because it might be a pre-ban.

If it's a listed lower, it cannot come into the state except by the owner, and only under certain very specific conditions. Your father can't bring them here to shoot with you.

If it is not a listed lower, all he needs to do is add a bullet button and make sure that they are otherwise compliant and he can ship them to your local FFL for transfer. Normal FFL transfer fees will apply.