PDA

View Full Version : How to ship a handgun back to the manufacturer

map
04-26-2011, 7:05 PM
Hi everyone. I'm going to be shipping a 1911 back to Springfield Armory. They sent me a packaging label however, I have to package the pistol myself.

To that end, do I simply just package the pistol or should I lock it? If I should lock it, should I send the key in a different package? Or should I put a combo lock on it and give them the combo?

Sorry for the noob question and thanks in advance for the feedback.

45R
04-26-2011, 7:07 PM
Simply package the pistol into the box, attach the shipping label to it and drop it off at your FFL. You can also call UPS/Fed Ex and have someone pick up the package.

map
04-26-2011, 8:58 PM
Thanks. So the only way I can ship it is through an FFL?

paul0660
04-26-2011, 9:02 PM
drop it off at your FFL.

I wish you were kidding. The PREPAID shipping label is UPS or Fedex. Take it there and get your receipt. FFL's have nothing to do with shipping guns for repair.

Edit.............NOTHING.

gorenut
04-26-2011, 9:05 PM
I wish you were kidding. The PREPAID shipping label is UPS or Fedex. Take it there and get your receipt. FFL's have nothing to do with shipping guns for repair.

Pretty much this. When I had to return my gun to S&W, they gave me a label and I just packed it up in its plastic case, no lock (they even specified), and just dropped it off to FedEx. Easy as that.

map
04-26-2011, 9:06 PM
Thanks Paul0660. Am I supposed lock up the container?

paul0660
04-26-2011, 9:07 PM
No. Tape it up like the family jewels, and let it go.

map
04-26-2011, 9:08 PM
OK got it. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

leelaw
04-26-2011, 9:09 PM
Put the gun in a well-padded shipping box.

Seal the box.

Affix the label.

Drop off the package at a UPS or FedEx HUB (NOT the UPS Store or FedEx/Kinkos stores - they can not accept firearms for shipping) and declare the contents (per policy - usually just "this contains an unloaded firearm with no ammunition" then smile, and walk away)

guns4funca
04-26-2011, 9:17 PM
I would also get insurance on it as well. Make sure they sign for it.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9848/194052505379059820.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052505379059820.jpg)http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/843/194052550886772886.png (http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052550886772886.png)http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8489/194052505111745815.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=194052505111745815.jpg)

BillPear
04-27-2011, 5:14 PM
Put the gun in a well-padded shipping box.

Seal the box.

Affix the label.

Drop off the package at a UPS or FedEx HUB (NOT the UPS Store or FedEx/Kinkos stores - they can not accept firearms for shipping) and declare the contents (per policy - usually just "this contains an unloaded firearm with no ammunition" then smile, and walk away)

My FEDEX/Kinkos does in fact ship and receive firearms(I called and confirmed), the first time I sent mine in I had them box the container, the second time I used the box Springfiled returned it in, and had them receive it since I would be at work, afterwork I went should my ID signed for it and took it home.

sig-guy
06-07-2013, 3:11 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a 1911 that needs to go back to Colt, and I don't understand how to do this without breaking at least some laws.

If I package the pistol at home it will not be in a locked container on my way to Fedex.

If I lock it at home to have Fedex package it, I'd need to unlock it in public.

The only way I can think of to do this legally would be to lock the box and tape the key to the outside before packaging, but I'm pretty sure Colt doesn't want to receive it locked.

redcliff
06-07-2013, 3:56 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a 1911 that needs to go back to Colt, and I don't understand how to do this without breaking at least some laws.

If I package the pistol at home it will not be in a locked container on my way to Fedex.

The only way I can think of to do this legally would be to lock the box and tape the key to the outside before packaging, but I'm pretty sure Colt doesn't want to receive it locked.

Lock the shipping box in your trunk while transporting it. If you don't have a trunk stick the shipping box in a lockable suitcase or something similar. Don't lock up your handgun inside the shipping box or send keys.

I would never ship a pistol in only its plastic case without a cardboard shipping box to hide it from view as some people in this thread mentioned.

In the case of Springfield Armory they self insure anything sent to them via their shipping labels. I don't know if that's true of Colt.

Some Velvet-Fisted Brute
06-07-2013, 4:28 PM
Last time I sent a pistol in for work, I packed it in its padded plastic clamshell case, wrapped that in bubble wrap, taped it up TESL well, then drove to a nearby FedEx kinkos and handed it to them. The only question asked was whether I'd like a receipt. I said, "sure."

An FFL is required if you want to send by US Postal Service. Private carriers have their own policy, and you'll find varying opinions of how closely you need to follow those.

-hanko
06-07-2013, 4:42 PM
Lock the shipping box in your trunk while transporting it. If you don't have a trunk stick the shipping box in a lockable suitcase or something similar. Don't lock up your handgun inside the shipping box or send keys.

I would never ship a pistol in only its plastic case without a cardboard shipping box to hide it from view as some people in this thread mentioned.

In the case of Springfield Armory they self insure anything sent to them via their shipping labels. I don't know if that's true of Colt.
Excellent advise.

The pistol in its case goes in a cardboard box...BATFEM requires no marking indicating weapon on the shipping box.

-hanko

sig-guy
06-07-2013, 5:52 PM
Of course I would put the pistol in a plastic hard case, and then package that inside of a box....but my car doesn't have a trunk.

I suppose I need to package it at home, then lock it inside a bag to transport to FedEx so I'm all legal....I still think it's a grey area to unlock the bag at FedEx

Dvrjon
06-07-2013, 6:51 PM
Just because no one has mentioned it, and I KNOW you know, but please make sure it isn't loaded. Thanks. :o

JR

Kurgan
06-07-2013, 7:14 PM
UPS and Fedex require that you ship handguns next day air. Last time I shipped it was cheaper to pay OC Armory a fee to send it via USPS.

sigstroker
06-07-2013, 7:40 PM
Of course I would put the pistol in a plastic hard case, and then package that inside of a box....but my car doesn't have a trunk.

I suppose I need to package it at home, then lock it inside a bag to transport to FedEx so I'm all legal....I still think it's a grey area to unlock the bag at FedEx

Wat? Being locked is only a requirement while transporting.

9mmepiphany
06-07-2013, 8:11 PM
You do the same thing when you take a gun to the range. Once you arrive at your shipping point, the you are allowed to remove it from a locked case.

I still think it's a grey area to unlock the bag at FedEx
That is because you are confusing State Law with Federal Law (which governs interstate commerce)

The gun doesn't need to be in a locked case while UPS or FedEx transports it...believe me none of the shipment of guns from the factory/distributor are transported in a locked case

C3nt3rMa55
06-07-2013, 8:14 PM
UPS and Fedex require that you ship handguns next day air. Last time I shipped it was cheaper to pay OC Armory a fee to send it via USPS.

Springfield ships FedEx 2 day.

I just put one in the mail today

BIGDOG805
06-07-2013, 8:24 PM
When the manufacturer sends it back do you have to re-dros it or pick it up at an ffl?

skosh69
06-07-2013, 8:28 PM
When the manufacturer sends it back do you have to re-dros it or pick it up at an ffl?

Good question, if I remember right, Kimber sent my gun directly back to me!

JUst like I sent it directly to them to get refinished.

Laythor
06-07-2013, 8:32 PM
they send it back to you, not a FFL

wweigle
06-07-2013, 9:13 PM

This is correct . recently sent my Para to Para. Dropped of at Fed Ex, back to me in exactly a week to my door. Nothing more required!!!

Saym14
06-07-2013, 9:21 PM

i had this experience too. and UPS requires you drop it at a hub. I had to pay for return shipping it cost me $80.

p7m8jg
06-07-2013, 9:24 PM
Springfield Armory sent me a FedEX label. I stuck my gun in the box and but it into a cardboard box that fit (had one in the garage). Went to the FedEx hub (local Bear Postal won't take it - although "how would they know?"), handed it to the counter person who didn't bat an eye and said "Thank you!"

Springfield Armory covered costs of FedEx both ways and even covered insuring the entire package. They will ship it back directly to my home - somebody over 21 has to sign for the package.

rembonjaski
06-07-2013, 9:31 PM
Just to add, I just sent one back to SIG, and the FedEx employee said you cannot ship a firearm in their FedEx packaging, it has to be your own. And don't mark or write anywhere that it's a firearm.

skosh69
06-08-2013, 1:17 PM
Just to add, I just sent one back to SIG, and the FedEx employee said you cannot ship a firearm in their FedEx packaging, it has to be your own. And don't mark or write anywhere that it's a firearm.

Exactly. When I shipped mine, using UPS, I put in a non-conspicuous brown box, slapped the RMA return label on it and the our daily UPS driver at my warehouse picked it up....no questions asked.

If you go to the UPS/Fedex stores, they like to hassle you.

negolien
06-08-2013, 2:49 PM
Bah never mind someone already answerd the question my bad lol. was asking about return trip cost.

fishhoppa
06-08-2013, 4:11 PM

If I remember reading about repairs,etc, the only time you'd had to re-dros would be if the frame or some part of the pistol bearing the serial number was completely replaced.

I'm sure others more experienced can chime in to correct me If I'm wrong.

Kurgan
06-08-2013, 4:24 PM
I'm sure you can put it in a plain box, ship it, and not tell Fedex or UPS that it's a pistol.

Good luck in processing an insurance claim if it disappears.

To the earlier poster, if Springfield, or another manufacturer sends you a shipping label, you can probably ship it however they want. If you, as a private citizen ship a pistol, Fedex and UPS require you to ship next day air.

You can receive it back from them or from another FFL at your home.

sig-guy
06-08-2013, 6:09 PM
You do the same thing when you take a gun to the range. Once you arrive at your shipping point, the you are allowed to remove it from a locked case.

That is because you are confusing State Law with Federal Law (which governs interstate commerce)

The gun doesn't need to be in a locked case while UPS or FedEx transports it...believe me none of the shipment of guns from the factory/distributor are transported in a locked case

OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking the FedEx drop off location I take it to would be considered a public place much like the hallways or parking structure of my apartment complex.

vintagedude88
06-09-2013, 1:58 PM
I shipped back an M&P to S&W a while back. S&W gave me a Fedex label and the instructions were to box it and ship it from a Fedex station. It has to ship 2nd day air at the minimum. After S&W was done with their work they sent it back to me for pick up at the same Fedex station I shipped it from. No FFL was ever involved or required.