PDA

View Full Version : LPK and the 6.8mm

Dave in LB
11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I still have no idea what caliber or upper I'm going to build with. Having said that I am leaning towards 6.8 and I am wondering if I buy a standard LPK will it work with that caliber? ( I don't see why not other than the magazine needs to be replaced if I understand correctly.)

Other current leanings are a White Oak LPK and possibly a GTS 6.8mm 18" Fluted barrel ( I'm a sucker for flutes)Maybe a Noveske Upper to match my lower. Oh the insanity of making the choices.

PIRATE14
11-22-2006, 1:15 AM
I still have no idea what caliber or upper I'm going to build with. Having said that I am leaning towards 6.8 and I am wondering if I buy a standard LPK will it work with that caliber? ( I don't see why not other than the magazine needs to be replaced if I understand correctly.)

Other current leanings are a White Oak LPK and possibly a GTS 6.8mm 18" Fluted barrel ( I'm a sucker for flutes)Maybe a Noveske Upper to match my lower. Oh the insanity of making the choices.

LPK for the 6.8 are the same....a few other calibre like the 9mm have a few different parts.

mltrading
11-22-2006, 7:50 AM
For 6.8 build, the LPK is identical to those for .223. The only difference is bolt and barrel. Even the uppre receiver and bolt carrier are the same.:)

Tunis
11-22-2006, 11:31 AM
LPK is the same for either caliber. I've got a Stag 6.8mm stamped lower order pending from CWS and I've been having second thoughts due to the cost and availability of 6.8mm SPC ammo...

grammaton76
11-22-2006, 12:29 PM
...I've been having second thoughts due to the cost and availability of 6.8mm SPC ammo...

Reload it. It's about $.15/shot once you have the brass.

Tunis
11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Reload it. It's about $.15/shot once you have the brass.

yes..reloading's an option! :D

will .270 ammo work? :confused:

grammaton76
11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
yes..reloading's an option! :D

will .270 ammo work? :confused:

The MidwayUSA .277's I've been ordering have worked fine. I see them listed as both .270 and .277 on the box. I guess the guns say they're chambered in .270 when they're actually taking a .277 projectile?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=382493

Paratus et Vigilans
11-22-2006, 9:37 PM
FWIW the bulk Remington 115 gr 6.8 SPC aren't very accurate.

I recently got a couple of boxes of Hornady 6.8 SPC HPBT/WC and had real problems running them through my Stag 6.8. They didn't want to eject, which when you're running a fixed mag like I am with the Prince50 is a huge pain in the butt to fix. When I went back to the Remington 6.8 SPC (not bulk, BTW) which my Stag likes to eat, the indigestion disappeared completely. Go figure. First and only time I've ever had problems with any Hornady ammo.

Anybody else have or hear of the Hornady 6.8 ammo being a problem? :confused:

Paratus et Vigilans
11-22-2006, 9:59 PM
I was referring to the bulk 115 gr FMJ projectiles with canelures sold by Midway for reloading.

I haven't had any problems with Hornday, but then I've been shooting pre-production ammo made last year.

Thanks, Ted!

I knew you were talking about reloads and not factory loaded new ammo - I just thought this would be a good thread to report my experience with the Hornady ammo and see if it's just me, or if others were having the same problem.