PDA

View Full Version : How does one start with Action Shooting

Anthony
11-21-2006, 9:28 PM
I need help getting started with Action Shooting. Do I just look on the calendar events of the gun club and show up? From what i've heard, IDPA or USPSA clubs in the Bay Area are not newbie friendly.

50BMGBOB
11-22-2006, 12:48 AM
I know USI/Diablo Rod and Gun has a qualifcation course you have to take in order to shoot. They offer it every couple of months. I have friends that shoot there and have thought about taking the course to join them. Check there site for times.

Wulf
11-22-2006, 6:34 AM
I cant speek to the bay area clubs, but at Sac Valley, its seems pretty easy to do. Just email the club contact from the USPSA club finder web site and get the info from him on, when, where , what. Then show up and find him on match day. Usually they'll make sure you get squared away, registered, and on a squad, and make sure you make the new shooter briefing. Then just make sure the guys on your squad and the RO's know you're new and they'll take care of you.

rkt88edmo
11-22-2006, 7:50 AM
I think DAP at USI in Concord is pretty friendly and very welcome to new shooters, but it does require club membership to participate, so that may be a deal killer for you coming from SJ. Definitely contact the match director for wherever you decide to attend and let them know that you are coming. That way they will be prepared and will be able to give you all the info you need.

kmca
11-22-2006, 7:55 AM
I've noticed the same thing. The first time I shot at the Richmond club, they seemed a little "standoffish". It's probably my fault as I'm a little shy :rolleyes:
I did happen to meet a nice couple (I'm sorry but I don't remember their names) that noticed I was lost and they pointed me in the right direction for the rest of the day.
The second time I shot at Richmond, I had a much better time.

I could be biased because I started my "action shooting" with the Mother Lode Pistol Club. They're a great bunch of guys who welcomed me the minute I walked onto the range. They shoot action matches on the first Sunday of the month and Steel Challenge on the second Sunday. I've come to really enjoy the company of all the members there. I sure wish it were closer :)

Anthony
11-22-2006, 5:00 PM
The closest to me is Chabot Gun club. Hopefully someone here from that club can get me started.

Dont Tread on Me
11-22-2006, 5:49 PM
Chabot is super friendly. If you know how to use a holster safely then come to the Tactical Handgun match held on every third Saturday. It is a very beginner friendlily crowd.

If you're not comfortable with a holster then they hold PPC matches that will give you trainning without having to move and shoot.

Hope to see you there. It is a blast!

midvalleyshooter
11-22-2006, 8:48 PM
There is a small IDPA club here in the Central Valley with a good track record breaking in newbies. Its a bit of a drive, but I suggest you give it a try:
http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org/

Keith

M. Sage
11-22-2006, 9:05 PM
Chabot is super friendly. If you know how to use a holster safely then come to the Tactical Handgun match held on every third Saturday. It is a very beginner friendlily crowd.

If you're not comfortable with a holster then they hold PPC matches that will give you trainning without having to move and shoot.

+1 to all that. Chabot has a good mix of different action shooting types, and I've yet to have someone be even close to rude there.

dwtt
11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Look at the web site for TASC, the IPSC club that shoots at Chabot on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. They have a new shooter clinic that runs on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and you shoot both weekends. When they see you shoot a match without doing anything unsafe, you're in. Join the USPSA, and shoot. That's all it takes to start. The only reason people might seem unwelcoming to new shooters is because they don't know if you are safe or not. Once you shoot a match and help set up the course of fire, you'll fit right in.

http://www.tasc-ipsc.org/

P.S. I don't know who you heard from, but TASC is very friendly, they even let me shoot! :)

LCAZES
11-26-2006, 8:36 AM
Anthony, both TASC and the Richmond Hotshots are friendly to new shooters. They both offer and require an orientation class for those new to USPSA which is well worth the time spent. My wife and I are regulars at both of these matches and if you would like to contact me in email I would be pleased to get you contact emails at either that will get you started ASAP. Give it a try, you won't regret it!

rocketboy
11-28-2006, 1:32 PM

Yep! What he said. After a Tactical Handgun match a few of us like to stay after and practice a little more. So if you have questions on how to do things a certain way you can always stay for the after party, and get a little extra range time.

gose
11-28-2006, 1:47 PM
Look at the web site for TASC, the IPSC club that shoots at Chabot on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. They have a new shooter clinic that runs on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and you shoot both weekends. When they see you shoot a match without doing anything unsafe, you're in. Join the USPSA, and shoot. That's all it takes to start. The only reason people might seem unwelcoming to new shooters is because they don't know if you are safe or not. Once you shoot a match and help set up the course of fire, you'll fit right in.

http://www.tasc-ipsc.org/

P.S. I don't know who you heard from, but TASC is very friendly, they even let me shoot! :)

The people in TASC are very nice and friendly and I'd really recommend paying them a visit. I've been shooting with them for almost a year and have nothing bad to say about them at all.
If you want to meet some of the guys you can always head up to Reed's on Mondays, since a bunch of the TASC guys are shooting/running the Monday night league there.

Anthony
11-28-2006, 6:23 PM
Thanks guys. I've got a couple of IM's from people here to assist me to get going. :) I hope to see you all on the range. I'll give these clubs a try. So far, I've emailed TASC if I could get in to their December New Shooter qualification. IThen, there is Chabot. It's going to be a busy December if everything goes through. :D

Anthony
12-06-2006, 8:09 PM
Anyone from San Jose going to TASC this weekend. It'll be my first time going up there and I've read that maps are not accurate. I was hoping I can convoy with somebody

LCAZES
12-10-2006, 9:42 AM
Anthony, did you make it to TASC this weekend? Did James hold the class in the rain?

Anthony
12-10-2006, 5:25 PM
Anthony, did you make it to TASC this weekend? Did James hold the class in the rain?

I didn't make it to TASC. I was so mad because I got tied up at work Friday night. Didn't come home until early Saturday morning.:mad: :mad: What really pissed me off is that I had been waiting for this weekend. I wish they hold this new shooters class every week.

But wait, there's Tactical handgun at Chabot next weekend right? :)

M. Sage
12-10-2006, 6:14 PM
Yep, next Saturday. Rifles are Sunday.

LCAZES
12-10-2006, 8:38 PM
I didn't make it to TASC. I was so mad because I got tied up at work Friday night. Didn't come home until early Saturday morning.:mad: :mad: What really pissed me off is that I had been waiting for this weekend. I wish they hold this new shooters class every week.

But wait, there's Tactical handgun at Chabot next weekend right? :)

Why not give richmond a try this next sunday? My wife and I will be shooting that match and I bet they are giving their new shooter class on saturday. I actually prefer the matches there compared to TASC. Much nicer facility, more complex stages, and higher round counts.

sargenv
12-11-2006, 7:03 AM
I wish they hold this new shooters class every week.

Well, therein lies the problem.. The people who hold the classes are generally unpaid volunteers. The reason we don't hold the intro to handgun competition classes every week is frankly, there are not enough new shooters that want to take the class. We hold them about 4 or 5 times a year. One class had a dozen people, another had 2. However, if you show up at Richmond on Saturday, there will be Range officers on duty to run you through the basics and get you approved to be on the range. They will generally stay with you through out practice and make sure you are safe. There will be the last IPSC match of the year this Sunday at Richmond. Say hi to me, I'll be the guy with the 610 revolver. I generally squad with LCAZES and his wife and several other "characters". :)

Vince

Dont Tread on Me
12-11-2006, 7:55 AM
Anthony - looking forward to meeting you at Chabot next weekend!

michaels
12-14-2006, 9:51 PM
"Say hi to me, I'll be the guy with the 610 revolver. I generally squad with LCAZES and his wife and several other "characters".

Have not nor ever been a "character"

But we do have an unusual squad of shooters...

I'll be the guy with the 625 revolver, we can walk you through the match, we will make you look bad, but that's our plan.

michaels

Anthony
12-16-2006, 7:50 PM
Went to Chabot today and had a blast. Thanks again ca_brit_05. I've met a lot of people and all were super friendly. I'll remember next time to bring a pair of gloves. Good thing I was able to borrow one to help setup. Thanks to all for pointing me to the right direction. This sport is really addicting. I'll try TASC and Richmond the next time I can get in for the new shooter class.

Dont Tread on Me
12-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Pleasure shooting with you today Anthony. I just cannot belive that this was your first time moving and shooting! I think you will be up there when the scores come out.

Hope to see you again.

Anthony
12-19-2006, 7:57 PM
Do I have to be a USPSA member to join one of the Richmond or TASC matches?

LCAZES
12-20-2006, 7:49 PM
Nope. No requirement that I know of but it would be nice to be a member so that you can eventually get a classification on record.

Anthony
12-29-2006, 5:44 PM
Does Richmond still have practices on Saturday?

blkA4alb
12-29-2006, 6:12 PM
Does Richmond still have practices on Saturday?
Yep.

sargenv
12-29-2006, 8:47 PM
Yep, every Saturday including tomorrow (12/30). In fact I'll probably be there. Regular practice at Richmond is every Saturday (except major matches) 9:30a-1:30p. You pay your shooting fees at the 25/100 yard line, tell them you need a receipt for the IPSC range, and come on back. If you need directions, look on http://richmondhotshots.com and click on the directions link. There is even a link to a google map of the area.

Vince

Anthony
12-29-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks Vince. I have not gone through the Intro to IPSC class, will they let me practice though?

TMC
12-29-2006, 9:35 PM
Like Vince said, every Saturday. I'll be there tomorrow in the red RO hat keeping and eye on everybody :cool: . Come on out

sargenv
12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
See one of the red hats on the IPSC range, they'll give you the low down on the rules and tell you what to do. I should be down there between 10 and 10:30 or so..TMC will be one of them..

Vince

Anthony
12-30-2006, 7:04 PM
Thanks to all again. Went to Richmond today and had a good time. :D :D :D All the RO's are extremely helpful. It was a little bit intimidating at first as everyone was watching while I was shooting. After that, all was good. I'll definitely come back for the regular matches.

Anthony
01-15-2007, 6:14 PM
I must say after running my first USPSA match at TASC this weekend, my assumptions are incorrect. I've talked to a lot of people, didn't matter what class they have, (GM, M, A, etc), they are all out there to help out a newbie. Now, if only I could shoot better, is a different story. :D

gose
01-15-2007, 9:33 PM
I must say after running my first USPSA match at TASC this weekend, my assumptions are incorrect. I've talked to a lot of people, didn't matter what class they have, (GM, M, A, etc), they are all out there to help out a newbie. Now, if only I could shoot better, is a different story. :D

Guess you were even number then, can't remember any Anthony in my squad ;)

LCAZES
01-16-2007, 5:22 AM

Yup, unfortunately there are a lot of common misconceptions about starting out. Tracy and I had a lot of fun shooting with you on saturday. Only bad part was the weather. It took us a few hours to thaw out after we left! Come on out and squad with us at richmond next time around......

PegasusLeader33
01-24-2007, 7:26 PM
Anthony,
Much thanks to you for starting this thread. I'm new to the area and asked myself the exact same question. Isn't the Internet wonderful?
So, I had an additional question. I'd love to see the Chabot range so I'm heading up there this Saturday. I musta missed it in the earlier threads but do you have to do the PPC course before going to any of the TASC shoots?
I'd love to start action shooting but I'm still waiting for my P345 holster and magazine carriers to arrive.
Thanks in advance,
Phong

Anthony
01-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Anthony,
Much thanks to you for starting this thread. I'm new to the area and asked myself the exact same question. Isn't the Internet wonderful?
So, I had an additional question. I'd love to see the Chabot range so I'm heading up there this Saturday. I musta missed it in the earlier threads but do you have to do the PPC course before going to any of the TASC shoots?
I'd love to start action shooting but I'm still waiting for my P345 holster and magazine carriers to arrive.
Thanks in advance,
Phong

First, welcome to the forum. I've learned a lot from here as well as from other forums. I am probably not the best person to give you advice but here's my opinion.

I don't think it is a requirement to shoot PPC for you to shoot TASC or other IPSC events. All you need to do is attend the Safe Handgun class at either Richmond or TASC which they offer once a month.

If you already know how to operate your firearm safely, you should be OK. IPSC is a different discpline compared to casual indoor range target shooting. Often times, you will be drawing your firearm from the holster and you will do a lot of running with a firearm in your hand. You and the club needs to make sure that you can safely do this that's why the Safe Handgun class is mandatory for newcomers.

Hope to see you one day at one of the match. :)

Gryff
02-07-2007, 6:59 PM
I need help getting started with Action Shooting. Do I just look on the calendar events of the gun club and show up? From what i've heard, IDPA or USPSA clubs in the Bay Area are not newbie friendly.

Hi,

This is several months late, but if you are interested in starting in Practical Shooting, consider IDPA. I can say from long experience that Richmond IS newbie friendly. Doesn't mean everyone there will be your best friend, but more than a handful of people will be willing to offer advice and suggestions to help you have a good day.

Nice thing about IDPA is that it is very inexpensive to get involved in (and even be competitive).

The downside is that there is only one IDPA match in the Bay Area (Richmond), and it occurs only every other month. Next match is March 11th.