PDA

View Full Version : Please Help: SR9 vs. FNP-9 vs SR9C

MoBait
04-26-2011, 4:19 PM
I can only afford one of these pistols for now and need your opinion to help me decide which to buy.

There are three purposes the weapon will serve. Primarily, a HD sidearm for my mossy 500. Secondly, sidearm for hunting. And thirdly, for a SHTF situation.

SR9:
I like the trigger pull and the ergonomics are good. Sights are fast and the safety can be disengaged reliably. The price is good ($430)

FNP-9:
The sights are nice, the lightest full size pistol I have held. The grip is thicker, however, I can get a good purchase on it. DA and SA trigger pulls are nice. Decocker and slide release are in the right place for me (as opposed to sig). Mag release should have more relief (training issue). The magazine didn't fall free like all the other quality guns I have used (this might be a deal breaker). Price is at the top of my budget ($510).

SR9C:
Seems to fit better than the full size Ruger, however, the follow up shots will probably be slower. Concealable for hunting and SHTF situations. Compatible with SR9 mags. Price is $420.

If you guys have any suggestions other than Glock, M&P or XD in this price range let me know.

Thanks

ZombieTactics
04-26-2011, 4:45 PM
The FNP9 is a very good gun, as are the Ruger SR series. I am bothered by what I consider a less than optimal manual-of-arms on the ... most notably the fact that the decocker operates in a sweep-down motion, which is more typically the mechanics of disengaging a 1911 style safety. Check out the safety/decocker operation for yourself, and then the simpler (IMHO) operation on the Ruger, and see which you prefer. Consider also the DA/SA trigger of the FNP vs. the SA-only trigger on the Ruger. I like an SA better myself, but it's going to be YOUR gun, so go with what you prefer.

DannyZRC
04-26-2011, 4:54 PM
My opinion is that DA/SA is preferred to SAO style guns, but having said that I think your post seems to indicate the SR9 being a better fit for you.

the SR9 description reads "it's good and I like it"

the FNP reads "well, I don't really like this that much but I'm trying to sell myself on it".

don't sell yourself on stuff, go with what works and what feels right.

ZombieTactics, most decockers sweep down for decock [berettas, sigs(the qunitissential DA/SA), USPs]

I'd recommend that you ignore folks that tell you to treat the SR9 as a glock and just leave the safety in the fire position, and to instead conscientiously use the safety whenever you practice with the gun.

MoBait
04-26-2011, 4:56 PM
Zombie: I actually like the operation of the decocker on the FNP. Both guns have good triggers, so I can get used to either of the two trigger types with training. The only problem I have with the FNP is that the magazine did not fall free. I was wondering is this is normal or just an issue with the display model I fondled.

Danny: I think you got the right impression, I like the FNP a lot since it has a similar design to a Sig. And I always use the safeties when available on a weapon. I figure it's best to use the safety since you never know when it might have been inadvertently turned on.

ZombieTactics
04-26-2011, 5:17 PM
...ZombieTactics, most decockers sweep down for decock [berettas, sigs(the qunitissential DA/SA), USPs]
Yep, and I don't like them, lol. Just my pref, nothing more. Those are all great guns, I just don't dig decockers.

recommend that you ignore folks that tell you to treat the SR9 as a glock and just leave the safety in the fire position, and to instead conscientiously use the safety whenever you practice with the gun. Agreed. You should ALWAYS train with the complete manual of arms of whatever gun you have. Anything else is asking for a visit from Mr. Murphy and his famous law.

NoJoke
04-26-2011, 5:42 PM
I'll vote SR9c

CarlozRossi
04-26-2011, 5:50 PM
SR9c. You won't regret it. I shoot my sr9c better than my bro's full size. :confused:

caldude
04-26-2011, 9:35 PM
While the SR9 feels really good, mine has a horrible trigger. I haven't tried an SR9c, which is supposed to have a better trigger. I just DROSed an FNP-9 today, so I haven't shot it yet, but in dry firing, the trigger feels MUCH better than my SR9.

Jimmy310
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Mo, if you like the fnp check out the Sig SP2022 if you get a chance. I really like mine and you get a great gun for $400 brand new.

Diamondback68
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
We have 2 SR9s which have a couple thousand rounds through each of them. Only 2 FTF from Wallymart white box but otherwise flawless. Eats any ammo. I agree with the trigger comments but I have gotten used to it. I really like the SR9c and will buy one of those next. I do not like the pull on the LC9 at all.

Rotting
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I've been saying this for quite a while--the FNP series are great pistols that have "flown under the radar" for a few years now. I absolutely love mine (I have a 40 and a 9). You absolutely will not be disappointed with the FNP if you go that route. Can't speak on the SR9, but I'd imagine you'd like that one too!

EXTREMEOPS1
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I've been saying this for quite a while--the FNP series are great pistols that have "flown under the radar" for a few years now. I absolutely love mine (I have a 40 and a 9). You absolutely will not be disappointed with the FNP if you go that route. Can't speak on the SR9, but I'd imagine you'd like that one too!

A glock beater in my hands :) Sorry Glock owners :43:

MoBait
04-27-2011, 3:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I handled all three pistols again, as well as the M&P 9 and the FNH actually filled my hand better than the other 3. I feel it has the best trigger between the 4 and I like the DA system more than a striker fire system. The price was a selling point too. The only problem is that the magazine would not fall free for me on three different FNP-9s, no problem with the FNP-40 though. It will not fall when I have pressure on the backstrap of the gun (doing a normal mag change), seems worse with the slide locked back. Anyone have experience with this? Now I have to wait till 13:58, May 7. Can't wait to grind off that ambidextrous decocker

DannyZRC
04-27-2011, 3:25 PM
why on god's green earth would you grind off the lefty decocker? :p

congrats on your entrance into 10 day hell!

Lead Waster
04-27-2011, 3:28 PM
Personally I really like the trigger on my buddy's FNP9.

Is "drop free" really that important?

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 3:30 PM
just bought a SR9 for the wifey.. let you know in 10 days how it shoots...(it was her choice, fit her hand great).

MoBait
04-27-2011, 3:53 PM
Personally I really like the trigger on my buddy's FNP9.

Is "drop free" really that important?

For me it is important, I want to be able to reload as quickly as possible if I need to use my weapon in a defensive situation. Does your friend's FNP-9 have a similar issue with the magazines?

why on god's green earth would you grind off the lefty decocker? :p

congrats on your entrance into 10 day hell!

Thank you. And I'm not sure if your question was meant to be sarcastic, just in case. The decocker on the right side protrudes a lot and will probably get snagged and break if carried, plus if I am forced to fire the weapon with my left hand I am not worried about decocking.

well206
04-27-2011, 4:24 PM
For my Fnp 9, magazine would not fall freely at first. After a while it would. I think it is when I got used to pushing the magazine release more flush or further in it would fall freely. Not sure though. Hmm... will try again tonight.

ZX-10R
04-27-2011, 5:29 PM
FNP-9 is a highly underrated gun. A Sig 2022 will not compete against it in groups. Read reviews on web for groupings or go shoot one but don't take my word for it. It is not close. I am happy I did not get the Sig 2022. The SR9 is a nice gun as well. It was on my list of guns. With the FNP-9 3rd.

My list was Beretta M9, then M&P 9 (Got the M&P 45 first), FNP-9, SR9, and then a 1911.

I own the FNP-9, the M&P 45, and just ordered a Colt 1911 XSE.

The FNP has been a fabulous gun to own. A couple of FTEs in the beginning but that is break in. IT will eat any ammo, reloads, UMC, Win, Rem, etc. It is more accurate than me...I shoot at the 10yrd and 25yrd rifle side of my range at SLOSA and I can hit the green silhouette all day...Head shots can be called but am not a groupist yet. At 10yrds it is point of aim and I am on. Reviews on the groups the FNP has at 25yrds is spot on so do your research. Take down is easy and not a pain at all. I like that the magazines do not come out so "fast" it is mechanical more than gravity. I did switch the mag release to be on the right side. You can file down the plastic but I realized after switching the mag release it came out quicker. There is a how to on the FNP forum on how to do it. I have over 700+ rounds through it since I got it in February. No problems at all yet. Made in USA so that was nice and a point for me. You can change the backstrap but I liked the larger curved one versus the straight one. I like the decocker as well...The best thing about it is the trigger. DA is a heavy but the SA is the best feel of a stock trigger out there. 4lbs or so. It is excellent...You will not be disappointed. I liked the Ruger as well and have shot it. Though the Ruger is cheaper the FNP-9 was more accurate for me.

Get yourself to a range and try the Ruger. The FNP will be tough because it seems no one has one to rent. I went on good words by two army friends of mine from High School who both have the FNP-45. I was happy I asked for their insight.

I am in SLOSA may 14th if you are interested in shooting the FNP-9. I like the Ruger a lot...Who knows I may get one, one day. But after my Colt comes in the last "WANT" gun I am getting is the Beretta M9A1.

Good luck.

USMC 82-86
04-27-2011, 8:04 PM
All three are nice choices. I looked at the very same pistols you are considering. I took the G19. I have never been a Glock fan but you talk about simple to operate, reliable and easy to maintain. I just sold a Sig .40 because I wanted a 9mm to get more trigger time and with the ammo out there now can't go wrong with this round. The SR9C is a very accurate pistol I saw one in action follow up shots no problem and it holds 10 rounds and can be concealed. The FNP and SR9 would be a good choice as well. I chose the G19 for ease of function if my wife has to use it in my absence, plus it can be concealed. Keep a open mind also. The glock was my last choice so much so it was not really on my radar until I tried it at the range.

greasem0nkey86
04-27-2011, 8:10 PM
I can also attest to how amazing the FNP is. ZX-10R has covered many of its points, and I can say the magazines will drop free after some use. Only problems I can recall is a stovepipe malfunction induced into a double feed (operator error) and there was a batch of reloads that it didn't like, other than that, I have not been disappointed.

morfeeis
04-27-2011, 8:32 PM
For those of you who own an SR9c in ca do they come with one short sr9c mag and one of the standard sr9 longer mags?

USMC 82-86
04-27-2011, 8:54 PM
The SR9C comes with 2 standard mags in Ca. I looked at this pistol before the G19.

Blackhawk556
04-27-2011, 8:55 PM
@OP...."The only problem is that the magazine would not fall free for me on three different FNP-9s, no problem with the FNP-40 though. It will not fall when I have pressure on the backstrap of the gun (doing a normal mag change), seems worse with the slide locked back. Anyone have experience with this?".........i have the same issue with my m&p sometimes. If I put pressure on the backstrap, I gets "stuck" a little.

Dragon
04-27-2011, 9:39 PM
SR9C !!! I love it!

morfeeis
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
The SR9C comes with 2 standard mags in Ca. I looked at this pistol before the G19.
so they are the are the SR9 standard 10 cap mags and not the shorter sr9C mags? do they fit flush and you dont get one that adds more grip surface ala standard size sr9 grip?

CarlozRossi
04-27-2011, 11:44 PM
so they are the are the SR9 standard 10 cap mags and not the shorter sr9C mags? do they fit flush and you dont get one that adds more grip surface ala standard size sr9 grip?

They come with 2 of the flush 10rd SR9c mags now.

Before, they came with one Flush 10rd mag and one Full size 10rd. mag that come with the CA Ruger SR9 Full size.

morfeeis
04-28-2011, 1:04 AM
They come with 2 of the flush 10rd SR9c mags now.

Before, they came with one Flush 10rd mag and one Full size 10rd. mag that come with the CA Ruger SR9 Full size.
Thank you......

iareConfusE
04-28-2011, 1:22 AM
Out of those choices, I'd go with the FNP9. Quality just feels all around better, and the SR9 didn't feel like it had a good trigger at all. Can't speak for the SR9c, as I haven't shot one myself but I hear it's better than the SR9.

Though, you're looking at two different sizes here. If you're considering possibly having the gun as a carry option, either around the house, or if you get a CCW, then you'd probably consider the compact pistol. If it's just a range gun, then the full size FNP would be nice.

FNP comes with three magazines, and it looks better too!

ZX-10R
04-28-2011, 6:47 AM
iareconfuse hit it and I forgot...The FNP-9 comes with 3 mags which was awesome. As for people who say you cannot find holsters etc. There are but made for different guns. My M&P almost shoots out the magazine upon depressing the release. The FNP-9 is more methodical and slow but not snail slow.

FNP is small compared to the M&P 45 I have...It is light but balanced. Very well made...Like I said If my buddies hadn't turned me on to FN FNP-9 I would have a SR9 right now. I was looking at the OD one a while back.

209Man
04-28-2011, 8:44 AM
I have a SR9 and love it. It has a very nice trigger, and it fits my hand perfectly.

redhemi
04-28-2011, 8:50 AM
I have both SRs and love shooting both. I will say I was surprised that the C did not have much more recoil than the fullsize which made it good for the follow up shot.

The first SR9s did not have that good of a trigger but with a little polishing it is fixable. The newer SR9 starting # 331 have the C trigger and are much better.

Morfeeis the Cs come with 2 SR9c mags and 2 pinkey extension bases that you can swap out if you don't like the flat ones.

robcoe
04-28-2011, 8:52 AM
Coin toss between the 2 SRs(you described them more favorably in the original post) if you like them more go with them.

Having shot both, the SR9c is actually very quick on followup shots. I did not notice as much recoil from it as I did from a glock of the same size in 9mm.

yoitsbruce
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
fnp9. is a great piece

morfeeis
04-29-2011, 12:25 AM
I have both SRs and love shooting both. I will say I was surprised that the C did not have much more recoil than the fullsize which made it good for the follow up shot.

The first SR9s did not have that good of a trigger but with a little polishing it is fixable. The newer SR9 starting # 331 have the C trigger and are much better.

Morfeeis the Cs come with 2 SR9c mags and 2 pinkey extension bases that you can swap out if you don't like the flat ones.
If the G26 is to small for my hands (without a mag in) will the SR9c be any better with the pinky attachment on the mag? I want the SR9c because i heard the trigger was so much better then the sr9 (learned to look for a #331+ serial to get an sr9c trigger on an sr9), but i've held the SR9 and it fits my hand very well but i'd also like something for ccw (should it ever happen).

point being big hands sr9c will it work?

MoBait
04-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Morfeeis:
the FNP-9 has a noticeably larger grip than an SR9 which has a bigger grip than the SR9C. The FNP-9 felt best in my hand but the SR9C (with pinky extension) felt better than the SR9. For some reference, I wear a large size mechanix wear glove. As far as trigger difference between the SR9 and SR9C, I didn't notice a difference really. The 'C' may have a slightly shorter pull but otherwise similar. A lot better than Glock IMO. And since you mention potential CCW, I would just get the SR9C, unless the G26 feels better for you.

morfeeis
04-29-2011, 9:24 PM
I'll have to get a hold of the Sr9c with pinky grip.

thanks.......