PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

skark_burmer
04-26-2011, 4:12 PM
Deleted

NorCal Einstein
04-26-2011, 4:21 PM
Reeds Indoor has the TRS for rent @ $25 + range ammo. It looks like it has seen better days, but you can't be too picky when it comes to high end 1911 rentals!

skark_burmer
04-26-2011, 4:47 PM
Deleted

Q619
04-26-2011, 5:10 PM
Honestly, for what you want I'd either get a Wilson CQB, an Ed Brown Executive Elite/Special Forces or a Les Baer TRS. I wouldn't get an aluminum framed gun....not as durable, wears WAAAAY quicker (unless you'd be carrying it concealed more than you'd shoot it).

In regards to Wilson, once you pass up the CQB you get a diminishing return for each additional dollar you spend. For less than the price of a Super Grade I got a brand new CQB and a vg condition used one. I'd rather have two ALMOST perfect high end guns than one PERFECT high end gun :p just me though. I like Wilson. No, I LOVE Wilson. They arguably make the best 1911 out there and are the uncontested champ in regards to customer service and support. If your gun breaks for some reason, they'll give you a shipping label (paid) and fix it ASAP on their dime. Many get their gun back in a week. You might think that for this amount of money it wouldn't break, but fire 50,000 rounds a year like many folks that compete do and you're bound to have a breakage sooner or later :D

Ed Brown makes one hell of a gun and has great CS now from what I hear on ALL counts. A fella on the 1911 forums just posted pictures of his SF after having shot 20,000 trouble free rounds with nothing but cleaning/lubing and spring changes. Go check out the Ed Brown forum there to see the many good testimonies.

Les Baer makes the best VALUE and will perform with the other two companies pound for pound and more often than not, be more accurate. SLIGHTLY more accurate. In the realm of these three shops, you're talking minute differences in accuracy.....or anything pertaining to quality or performance. The only thing that really takes a hit on a Baer in comparison to the other two shops is the fact that they have a lesser degree of finishing. The beveling isn't as clean/even, it has a cheap/thin salt blue job and you'll see some tooling marks on and in the gun (including uneven hatching from the front strap checkering just shy of the grip slabs). Apart from that, the quality and fitting is there. The performance is there. You basically save a few bucks on the finishing and get a gun that will run with anything out there.

All three companies have their own build philosophies but Wilson and Brown are very similar. Wilson tends to build their guns with tolerances that are JUST close enough for the gun gun to function smoothly and without any drag/impedement. They run like a well broken in gun out the gate more often than not. Brown is pretty much the same and might have slightly looser fitting by a margin (we're talking MICRONS here :p). The difference is in Les Baer, THIS shop fits a gun TIGHT. They basically fit everything so it JUST functions. It will have some drag, it will be hard to manipulate for a little while, but after you break it in...it'll be one of the smoothest guns you've ever had the pleasure of shooting. It will most definitely stay tighter much longer than anything out there.

nrvnqsrxk
04-26-2011, 5:22 PM
^^+1

Personally I'd go with the LB TRS. They look real nice with wear.

Q619
04-26-2011, 5:23 PM
If you were to make categories for things that are pertinent in the consideration of a 1911 and put one of these fine guns ahead of the others for each category....in MY opinion it would go like this (keep in mind this is all MARGINAL, no one is much ahead in any category):

Accuracy:
Baer
Wilson
Brown

Fitting:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Finishing:
Brown
Wilson
Baer

Quality of parts:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Trigger:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Sights:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Thumb safety:
Baer
Brown
Wilson

High grip:
Baer
Brown
Wilson

Front strap (if all checkered):
Brown
Wilson
Baer

Effectiveness of front strap checkering:
Brown
Baer
Wilson

Slide serration aggressiveness:
Baer
Wilson
Brown

Magwell beveling (performance, not aesthetics):
Wilson
Baer
Brown

Finish used:
Brown
Wilson
Baer

Finish/coating aesthetics as the gun wears:
Baer
Brown
Wilson

Corrosion resistance of finish/coating:
Brown
Wilson
Baer

Wear resistance of finish/coating:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Feel in the hand (that unexplained feel):
Baer (feels more substancial than the other two....like a tool)
Wilson
Brown

Reliability:
Crapshoot

Customer support/service:
Wilson
Brown
Baer

Performance to dollar:
Baer
Brown
Wilson

Resale value:
Wilson
Baer
Brown

My overall personal preferance:
Baer
Wilson
Brown

(My favorite gun is the 1911. My three favorite makers are the three being discussed. You really can't go wrong with any of them.)

Ranger20
04-26-2011, 6:02 PM
Baer.. would be my choice I think they will "all" outshoot your abilities.. Value consideration...is the Baer at a lower cost will do everthing you will need it to do. Spend the extra money on ammo and training.. Don't worry you won't wear out the Baer in your lifetime. but I hope you try too ;)

Best to you!

Ps. Perhaps BlackMajik will chime in I think he has had a lot of 1911 experience with all three.

thmpr
04-26-2011, 6:06 PM
I am too in the same predicament as you are and very confused on which 1911 to purchase.

BillPear
04-26-2011, 6:11 PM
I too went through this same exercise just last month, after doing my reaserch I went with the Les Baer Custom Carry, I just felt that there was more value per $ there. I made numerous phone calls and they were always willing to answer my lamist questions. I went with the CC over the TRS simply because the only advertisement I wanted to pay for was Les'. as far as Fit and Finish I pawed samples of all three manufacturers at a LGS and could not see any significant differences with the naked eye, the Baer was as advertised significantly tighter than the other two. When I recieverd my CC I gave it a thorough inspection and I can not see any flaws in the machining or blueing, I was at the Orange County sherriffs range the other day and they want to inspect all new guns and of course I was happy to show of my Baer, the two rangemasters in the booth both commetned on it's finish and while I was shooting a third came just to admire it;). That all being said, if I buy another "High end" 1911 it will be an Ed Brown Cobra, I just don't see the value in the Wilsons. "YMMV"

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/BillPear/IMG_0007-1.jpg

sm1911
04-26-2011, 6:12 PM
I ended up with a TRS, simply best bang for the buck.

Ubermcoupe
04-26-2011, 6:34 PM
...original Jesus Christ issue 1911...

Where can I get one of these? :D

For my money, especially since you mentioned "not a safe queen" my $$$ on the LB. It's nice finish and fit, more affordable, and still fun to shoot.

IMHO, Both EB & LB are great, simple function, plain jane design = great shooting experience. Don't get me wrong, I have my eye on a Wilson but due to the price on that one I won't be acquiring it soon, nor shooting it often.

Steve G
04-26-2011, 6:41 PM
I love my TRS. Yeah it's tight but it really is a sweet shooter!

ElvenSoul
04-26-2011, 6:56 PM
I've fired a Wilson and was ehhhh...fired a Les and have erotic must have dreams...someday it will be mine!

ArkinDomino
04-26-2011, 7:11 PM
My father's Wilson made me want to get one but then I found my precious Nighthawk GRP. That pretty much made me forget the Wilson. The Les however, is still my 1911 'grail'...

Cyc Wid It
04-26-2011, 7:16 PM
You can get a 1.5 in guarantee TRS for less than your listed price. Mine doesn't have the guarantee but as I can't really take advantage of ot at my current skill level. Imo once you hit $2k, you might as well go full custom.

7anthony7
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I went Wilson and never looked back. I just ordered number two, the ultra light compact with my own little flare to it. I have a CQB 10mm I custom ordered and love it. I have functioned an Les, but wasn't my favorite. From the guy who owned it said it was a tac driver, but needed to be broken in and can be finicky with ammo due to tolerances but runs great with the right ammo. Someone mentioned against getting the lightweight frame. If you get the Wilson, it's a lifetime transferable warranty. I have fondled the ultralight carry and the weight is amazing. Feels like a feather compared to my full size CQB 10. I have also played with a Nighthawk. Alot of the employees of Nighthawk are from Wilson and are well made as well. I have heard mixed things about their quality control, but are always willing to fix issues. You should check out the 1911 forum for more info. I have debated over getting a Kobra, but went for the Wilson. They are all great and will out shoot you, just depends on the extras and custom work you want. I say Wilson!

GW
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow its like choosing between Christy Canyon, Ginger Lynn or Amber Lynn
Any one you choose would be the ride of your life

BTW I went Wilson CQB ;)

FantasticPlastic
04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't think it's a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I think it's more like a Bentley vs. Rolls Royce thing :-)

I would be proud to own any of those pistols, although the cobra carry really appeals to me. I have heard good and bad things about pretty much everything under the sun, but I'm pretty sure all those manufacturers make really top notch products. Get to a place where you can hold all of them and see if there are any that appeal more to you than others.

SGGear
04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I own a Wilson and Ed brown. I like both but I enjoy shooting the Ed brown more. I ve shot a few les Baer and it is a bit too tight for my pref. Ed brown isn't too tight but just right. I haven't had 1 failure yet and when i had to replace the sight, Ed brown installed free with min cost for the sight. If I buy another 1911, it would be another Ed brown.

rdmax
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
At this price range, you should look at Nighthawk as well. Former top gun smiths from Wilson Combat who opened their own custom shop. Cannot go wrong with any one of them.

sootytom
04-27-2011, 6:13 AM
I've been looking for nice 1911 this year I found a les baer pre. II super tac lightly used on calguns. I picked it up last week and have taken it to the range a couple of times HOLY S--T is it a nice shooting gun really tight,amazing trigger, crisp break and short reset. the gun feels great in your hand nice balance.
the only problem is, I'm a lefty and the small safety lever on the right side is very hard to manipulate. I've never owned a wilson or ed brown but for my $$ you can't get a better gun for the price then a LES BAER . good luck in your hunt for your perfect 1911

dls
04-27-2011, 7:08 AM
If my budget at time of purchase was up to $4000 I would have bought a Wilson(next one) but since I had under $3k I bought a Bear. They're all good 1911s in my opinion,it's about how much do you want to spend at that level. The Wilson's look the nicest.

skark_burmer
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Deleted

Cyc Wid It
04-27-2011, 2:03 PM
Going full monty is buying a pair of these:

http://www.louderthanwords.us/largefoto/picts/ulfls/29032011/11902515142.jpg

SVRider
04-27-2011, 3:07 PM
At this price range, you should look at Nighthawk as well. Former top gun smiths from Wilson Combat who opened their own custom shop. Cannot go wrong with any one of them.

Read my post (#20) regarding Nighthawk. I would never buy another one from them without seeing what I was getting first (this one was ordered):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=180526

olhunter
04-27-2011, 4:04 PM

lol....you're old.

BillPear
04-27-2011, 5:01 PM

BTW I went Wilson CQB ;)

I would prefer someone of that stature in her 20's:D

Butthead
04-27-2011, 8:10 PM
Wilson - Hard to imagine any better.

GW
04-28-2011, 1:00 AM
I would prefer someone of that stature in her 20's:D

Well, yeah!:rolleyes:

And yes I AM old!!!

aklon
04-28-2011, 6:32 PM
I can't say anything about Ed Brown since I don't own one, but I do have a Wilson Combat Professional Model and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. Of the two, I find the TRS is my "go to" gun. Don't get me wrong: the Wilson is an outstanding example of the gun maker's art (as is the Baer), but I figure the Professsional Model is what the CCW folks call a "carry gun", whereas the TRS was primarily designed with reliability in mind. Clint Smith wanted a close combat pistol, and Les Baer was the one that gave it to him.

glock22fs
04-28-2011, 7:39 PM
I was struggling with this and I just recently ordered a Les Baer CC. Talk to john at proload.com he has great prices on Baers.

Buddhabelly
04-28-2011, 8:12 PM

BTW I went Wilson CQB ;)

Dude, you are ancient. Aren't those ladies about a hundred by now?

l8apex
04-28-2011, 8:17 PM
TRS Baer from your choices. NH GRP if that was a choice.

locosway
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Where can I get one of these? :D

I have one...

http://i37.tinypic.com/2m2etqw.jpg