PDA

View Full Version : just did the "works"

leroux
04-26-2011, 2:51 PM
Just got done with the paper work for my xd .40 Sub. first gun, very excited.. ideas for practical ammo storage and range bags?

Munk
04-26-2011, 2:54 PM
ammo can for both.

.50cal can will hold a pistol and the box it came in (tested on rugers and berettas so far) along with your spare mags. Requires minor modification to make it accept a masterlock.

Fadedline
04-26-2011, 2:58 PM
Congrats on the first gun:cheers2:

For ammo storage, I use old military surplus ammo cans. Or a safe.

For Range bags I just got this one: It's a good size and holds everything. Good price too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=259680

gotshotgun?
04-26-2011, 3:00 PM
That's a tough platform to get good at for a first gun.(small grip in .40) That said, I'm sure you will do great, just buy lots of ammo and look for some ammo cans with rubber gasket seals for your ammo.

sanjosebmx
04-26-2011, 3:04 PM
+1 on the Midway Range bag....... I actually bought both the Competition and the Compact Bag...

The Competition bag is HUGE, maybe TOO big...so I don't use it much. The compact one is very nice and only 29.99 very good quality don't let the price fool you...

Voo
04-26-2011, 4:41 PM
I store ammo in ammo cans.. They stack well, are cheap (ie free) and are tough as heck.

For range bags, Midway, Dillon Precision, iShot... Everyone I know has a Dillon or ishot- most of the competitors you see competing week in, week out will have Dillon bags for holding their gear.. They hold up EXTREMELY well..

Z.1
04-26-2011, 5:41 PM
Gongrats on your first gun (of many)!

Another +1 on the Midway. I have the Compact and its awesome! I'd buy another with no hesitation

cali_armz
04-26-2011, 5:58 PM
That's a tough platform to get good at for a first gun.(small grip in .40) That said, I'm sure you will do great, just buy lots of ammo and look for some ammo cans with rubber gasket seals for your ammo.

is exposure to lead that big of an issue with ammunition?

the reason i ask is because i have a fair amount which is not in an airtight container.

Sam
04-26-2011, 7:58 PM
is exposure to lead that big of an issue with ammunition?

the reason i ask is because i have a fair amount which is not in an airtight container.

It's not lead exposure but moisture that he's worried about.

cali_armz
04-26-2011, 8:01 PM
It's not lead exposure but moisture that he's worried about.

ahh, that makes sense. thank you man

sequoia_nomad
04-26-2011, 8:11 PM
Eye and ear protection. Read that owners manual a few times and practice manipulating the weapon empty. Don't worry about lead exposure. Buy several different types of ammo in case your gun is picky. Be safe, have fun!

GW
04-26-2011, 9:17 PM
Check this bag out
A great price too
http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

gorenut
04-26-2011, 9:57 PM
+1 on the Midway Range bag....... I actually bought both the Competition and the Compact Bag...

The Competition bag is HUGE, maybe TOO big...so I don't use it much. The compact one is very nice and only 29.99 very good quality don't let the price fool you...

So you think the compact one is good enough? I need to get a new range bag soon, the one I'm currently using is falling apart. I usually go to the range with 2 guns, though on occasion I've taken 3. I have 2 or 3 sets of shooting glasses, 2 earmuffs, small tool set, some cleaning cloths, mag loader, and on average take about 200-500 rounds of ammo. What do you think? Large one vs the smaller one?

leroux
04-27-2011, 5:40 AM
http://www.lapolicegear.com/mamoge.html

this is what i was thinking, i do alot of backpacking and thought this would be good for both

gorenut
04-27-2011, 9:02 AM
I really wanna get one of the Midway compact range bags.. but in olive drab. Too bad they're out. I wanna get something other than black cause I notice everyone in the range has black. Too easy to get it mixed up.

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 9:26 AM
I got the olive drab, and in my case I can fit 2 pistols, 100 (or more) rounds. 2 earmuffs, glasses, 6 magazines (or more) my cleaning stuff, a towel... jeez not even using the pockets really... there is a lot of room...

The full size is GIANT I don't know how else to describe it.. I will use that when I do an outdoor range, with my shotgun, when I want to haul out 100 shells, and water bottles etc...

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 9:27 AM
for the price, get both! I did! A good 5.11 tactical bag (which I bet is made by the same company) will run you 79.99

Agent Tikki
04-27-2011, 9:41 AM
Take me to the mall, and all of the sudden.....
My feet hurt....
my throats parched...
gawd why is my head aching...
what's goins on, I felt fine an hour ago....

but my wife...is going non stop for 3,4,5,7,9 hours straight!

Take me to a gun show and its like.....
woah...I woke up a 6 and i didn't even set my alarm today...wth...
all of the sudden the wife is like....
baby, my feet hurt....
baby, I'm thirsty....
baby, my head aches...i'm gonna just sit down in the food court ok?
and I'm there until they kick me out :party:

Moral of this post...get your butt to a gun show...the bigger the better, handle and play with everything, shop till you drop....'nuff said.

Ub3rDorK
04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
ammo can for both.

.50cal can will hold a pistol and the box it came in (tested on rugers and berettas so far) along with your spare mags. Requires minor modification to make it accept a masterlock.

im curious to see what this looks like...pics?

sanjosebmx
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I made a quick video with both the midway bags...

CLguMQgnJxA

kmca
04-27-2011, 3:13 PM
I've Got both versions of the Midway bags, use the compact the most. My wife upgraded my larger bag to the Shooter's Connection bag, same design but constructed of much better materials. You actually put a full case of .223 on top and it doesn't collapse.

gorenut
04-27-2011, 3:16 PM
I made a quick video with both the midway bags...

CLguMQgnJxA

Thanks for the video.. yea, I think I'm def going with the compact. That seems sufficient enough for me. I don't like taking too many things out per range visit because I know I won't shoot all of em if I do. Still.. no signs of the olive one in stock at Midway.

MaxPower
05-01-2011, 8:26 PM
I have both Midway bags and use the smaller one more often. Mainly because I usually only have one handgun in it and I usually head to the range solo (so only one set of eye and ear protection etc.). Good bags for sure - especially for the money.