PDA

View Full Version : A wee bit of advice

FatKatMatt
11-21-2006, 8:35 PM
I need a .22 rifle for some plinking, nothing too serious. Basically I'm looking for a high quality semi-auto .22 rifle for $300 or under new. The ones I have seen around are the Ruger 10/22 and the Walther G22, plus a bunch of single shots, bolt actions, levers etc of which I cannot recall the names.

I like how the G22 feels but it is out of my price range. The 10/22 has an okay feel in standard configuration but it's not wondrous.

So yes, what would you guys recommend for a beginning shooter? Should i just save my money and buy the G22 or get something else? Thanks to all who respond.

bu-bye
11-21-2006, 8:39 PM
I think the G22 is very cool looking and has nice features. I like the slid-up rear sight and the extra mag in the stock. I plan on getting one someday. IMO Ruger is not a friendly company. Even though they make guns they don't support gun owners. I think money is better spent on another company. Marlin also makes nice 22's and Remington has a nice little semi-auto to that might be more in your price range.

TonyNorCal
11-21-2006, 8:41 PM
I'd vote 10/22 simply because it's a fun plinker in stock condition and the aftermarket possibilities are almost endless. So as money and interest allow you can add heavy target barrels, new stocks, better triggers, etc. I believe a 10/22 can also be configured to fire .17 HM2.

It's also a user friendly gun to work on. Anyone can change out the barrel.

I think every gun owner should have a 10/22 in their arsenal.

I currently have 2...1 in heavy barrel config and 1 stock.

I don't have any experience with the G22.

ARRRR-15
11-21-2006, 8:49 PM
I'd say go with a marlin. I have three and have had no problems. A friend of mine has a 10/22 with $100 heavy bull barrel and my marlin being stock shoots just as well if not better.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795SS.aspx

The 10/22 does have a lot more aftermarket possibilities like Tony said, but if you don't plan on modifying it I'd go with a marlin.

SemiAutoSam
11-21-2006, 8:53 PM
I despise bill ruger for what he did in the early 90's but his model 10/22 and his model 1 rifles very nice.

If I didn't want a semi auto 22 I would go with the savage Stevens 22/223 model.

NSR500
11-22-2006, 1:29 AM
I just picked up a 10/22 this year and it has been Great. Of all the 22's out there it has one of the best, if not the best, aftermarket support.

Ryan HBC
11-22-2006, 1:50 AM
I have a great time shooting the G22. I put a cheapo Bushnell scope on it and it is disgustingly accurate. Mine jams about once every 100 rounds on American Eagle, and I find that to be acceptable for an auto .22. The brass doesn’t make it all the way out of the chamber, maybe I’ll work on the extractor one day when I get bored.

The site system is innovative with the flip down and the multiple elevations, but I didn't care much for it. Take down and cleaning also can be troublesome. There are two springs inside the received that are very easy to lose. Mine went FLYING the first time I cleaned it, but I called Walther and they sent me two extra sets for free.

I definitely recommend it. It’s tacticool out of the box and is an excellent shooter. It really needs no after market, except maybe a cheap optic and the Walther laser.

mike452
11-22-2006, 2:38 AM
I vote for 10/22. Tons of aftermarket mods out there.
When you decide you are not a beginning shooter anymore, you can modify instead of buying another.

rorschach
11-22-2006, 3:52 AM
I'm a fan of Marlin and have two: a newer model 60 with stainless barrel and synthetic stocks, and a Western Auto "Revelation" house-brand gun (of Marlin manufacture) I'm guessing from the 50's or 60's. Both are tube fed, semi-auto.

Thats just me though, I never claimed to have common sense or anything.

Hunter
11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I need a .22 rifle for some plinking, nothing too serious. Basically I'm looking for a high quality semi-auto .22 rifle for $300 or under new. The ones I have seen around are the Ruger 10/22 and the Walther G22, plus a bunch of single shots, bolt actions, levers etc of which I cannot recall the names.

I like how the G22 feels but it is out of my price range. The 10/22 has an okay feel in standard configuration but it's not wondrous.

So yes, what would you guys recommend for a beginning shooter? Should i just save my money and buy the G22 or get something else? Thanks to all who respond.

How about a Browning 22 auto rifle? Nice compact, takedown unit. Lots of fun to shoot and since it has a tube magazine, you can get 12 rnds into it. You can find ones in your price range.

luvtolean
11-22-2006, 10:43 AM
10/22

'Nuff said.

SigShooter
11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Head over to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/. Those are the guys to talk to about .22s (and everything else rimfire)

IMHO, I would go for the 10/22. They can be had for as little as $150 new and as stated earlier the after market possibilities are endless. Out of the box they are more than accurate enough for plinking and with a little time and a little money they can be turned into pure tack drivers. The 10/22 is one of the easiest guns to "home smith", and if you ever break or ruin a part, they are easily found and a dime a dozen.

I have a Browning BL-22, Marlin 39A and 2 10/22s (one bone stock, one highly modified). I enjoy shooting the 10/22s most out of the four. My modified 10/22 will easily shoot .25 - .5" and the stock version hits .75 - 1.25" groups at 50yds which is more than accurate enough for the plinking I do.

FatKatMatt
11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Why does it have to be semi-auto?

I prefer semi-auto for a .22. A centerfire rifle I would get in bolt-action because it is more accurate at longer ranges, but at the 100 yard max range of a .22 cartridge I prefer the quicker action of a semi-auto to a bolt or a lever action.