PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on an M1A?

virulosity
11-21-2006, 5:53 PM
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayad2.php?H=1&m1=November&m2=November&d1=24&d2=29&img=ads/11-24-06/springstandard.gif

I have been wanting one of these for a while.

bwiese
11-21-2006, 5:55 PM
How can it be a "standard" M1A if it doesn't have a chrome-lined barrel?

TonyNorCal
11-21-2006, 5:58 PM
Seems like a decent price of retail.

If I were in the market for one I'd scour boards for an older used one with a chrome-lined barrel and hopefully some USGI parts. Of course, it might take a while.

Or, for that price you could buy 2 service grade Garands and have 300+ left for ammo.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-21-2006, 6:06 PM
How can it be a "standard" M1A if it doesn't have a chrome-lined barrel?

Since SA Inc has run out of GI chromed lined barrels, they have been forced to use regular chrome molly barrels...buut they still call them standard....

donger
11-21-2006, 6:12 PM
It's a pretty fair deal on an M1A.

I think you would be happier with an older M1A with more G.I. parts. (The older Springfields had, on a general level, relatively more G.I. parts. Including G.I. chrome lined barrels.:D )

Look around the various forums and I'm sure you can find a nice safe queen for the same or even less of a price.

virulosity
11-21-2006, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will see if I can get a chromed one. What other USGI parts should I look for?

6172crew
11-21-2006, 6:23 PM
I just bought a M1A that was made in 1992 with all GI parts cept the receiver and stock for $1500 and its NIB.

Ive seen a few like this one, just need to keep your eye out on battle rifles, falfiles, m14forum, ar15.com, sniperhide and of course Calguns:D

ocabj
11-21-2006, 7:57 PM
Personally, I wouldn't care for a chrome lined. It's not very important in my opinion.

As far as buying a used rifle with a chrome lined barrel, what's the point? If it's older and used, it probably has plenty of rounds through it to the point that you may as well just get a new rifle with a non-chrome lined barrel since they'll both have about the same barrel life at that point anyway (chrome lined barrel with 2000 rounds through it vs brand new chrome-moly or SS barrel).

anotherted
11-21-2006, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will see if I can get a chromed one. What other USGI parts should I look for?

All you really need to worry about is the extractor. take the bolt apart, toss the extractor and put in a USGI extractor. I repaced the op rod spring guide with a FA NM op rod spring guide as well. While your ordering the spring guide you can get yourself a gas cylinder shim set.

This is what i started with but the allure of USGI everything caught up to me and within 2 weeks i swapped out the trigger group for a winchester TG, the oprod for a TRW, and the bolt for a TRW as well (it came with a TRW barrel).

One thing i must say is that the USGI trigger group is a much crisper 2 stager than the SA Inc trigger group -- well worth it.

They are flat out awesome rifles. Get it, you'll love it.

ketec_owner
11-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Myself - I would bed the action or get the JAE-100 stock.

anotherted
11-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Myself - I would bed the action or get the JAE-100 stock.

Depends what you want it for. Mine will shoot extremely tight groups from the prone position slung up. Its a plain jane standard with a wood stock (not bedded). No mods besides the shim and a properly fitted and filed handguard. Its not a match rifle, but its damn accurate.

50 Freak
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Get a chinese M14. They have chromed lined barrels. Then switch out the bolt. You can have a M14 styled rifle that will shoot on par with the SA M1As for about $700-800 bucks.

esskay
11-22-2006, 7:34 AM
BTW, there are a number of companies offering newly manufactured barrels which are chrome lined. IIRC -- Criterion, LRB, Fulton, SEI, etc.

luvtolean
11-22-2006, 7:36 AM
If you're anywhere near OC, take that ad in to Ade. I bet he'll match it and you'll be helping one of the "good guys". :)

GTKrockeTT
11-22-2006, 7:59 AM
take a look at buds...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_41

their inventory is constantly changing, and the prices are competitive.

virulosity
11-22-2006, 5:49 PM
If you're anywhere near OC, take that ad in to Ade. I bet he'll match it and you'll be helping one of the "good guys". :)

Done deal! I want one bad! Thanks for all your input guys. I love this forum.

bwiese
11-22-2006, 6:56 PM
As far as buying a used rifle with a chrome lined barrel, what's the point? If it's older and used, it probably has plenty of rounds through it to the point that you may as well just get a new rifle with a non-chrome lined barrel since they'll both have about the same barrel life at that point anyway (chrome lined barrel with 2000 rounds through it vs brand new chrome-moly or SS barrel).

Well it depends on how 'used' the gun is. A gauge and chamber inspection can judge wear.

2000 rounds on a chrome-lined barrel is far less of a reduction in barrel life expectancy (i.e, rounds to major change in accuracy) than 2K rounds out of an unlined barrel of any type.

Slower 308 with a slower twist (2600ish FPS & 1:10" twist) is actually easier on a barrel than fast 223 (3200+ fps, w/ 1:7" twist).

NRAhighpowershooter
11-22-2006, 7:06 PM
Chromed lined bores are usually good for 20K+ rnds, while a chrome molly barrel might last 7-8K My M1A with a new (at the time it was built) TRW GI barrel now has a little over 18K rounds through it since I started to use it for HP matches back in '99... so even with the 18K rounds it will still hold the 10 ring at 200yds.

metalhead357
11-22-2006, 7:45 PM
Chromed lined bores are usually good for 20K+ rnds, while a chrome molly barrel might last 7-8K My M1A with a new (at the time it was built) TRW GI barrel now has a little over 18K rounds through it since I started to use it for HP matches back in '99... so even with the 18K rounds it will still hold the 10 ring at 200yds.

Hey, While I'm thinking about it, and this guy might be interested too~ Who made that Unitized gas cylinder I got off you? Does he have more (or do you?)

NRAhighpowershooter
11-22-2006, 7:57 PM
Hey, While I'm thinking about it, and this guy might be interested too~ Who made that Unitized gas cylinder I got off you? Does he have more (or do you?)

I don't have more to sell.. but Tom Luhmann in Clovis is the 'smith that does M1A/Garand work. TLC Gunworks

somekevinguy
11-22-2006, 9:42 PM
Does anyone know if the SA National Match or Super Match models are chrome lined? I wish I would have been on these forums learning about all this stuff before I bought some of my rifles. I have the SA National Match. I also have an AR-15 that I know is not chrome lined but I bought that before this forum existed before the ban so that one was worth it. Also what is up with the USGI parts? Why are they better than the ones that come on a SA rifle? Are there any good books or anything that will teach me all this stuff without having to hunt through this forum trying to pick things up piece by piece. I would like to get to the level that I could start doing my own accuratizing work on my rifles some day.

Matt-man
11-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know if the SA National Match or Super Match models are chrome lined?
Probably not, and definitely not for current-production guns. Match barrels are usually not chrome lined. It's difficult to make a chrome-lined barrel with a bore that's as uniform as a good Shilen, Douglas, or Krieger.

metalhead357
11-23-2006, 1:12 AM
Thanks NRAHPS:)

akspetsnaz
11-23-2006, 3:16 PM
The deal is too tempted to miss.....

MaceWindu
11-23-2006, 3:35 PM
Is this a good deal on an M1A?

Yes.

Mace

virulosity
11-24-2006, 8:17 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61127909

Found a CA OK PTR-91 on gunbroker, just thought I would share.

pnkssbtz
11-25-2006, 2:59 AM
take a look at buds...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_41

their inventory is constantly changing, and the prices are competitive.

Buds Gunshop has by far the best prices I've seen. (Other than auction sites).

However they just don't seem to care to get back to me. So I gave up and bought a socom16 from a member here.

I love this site =):p

BluDragon
11-25-2006, 3:35 AM
M1As are just as addicting as EBRs. You will lay down a few more bucks initially, but they are well worth it. I bought mine back in February and love it. You will want to replace some of the stock parts with USGI or aftermarket parts (extractor, op rod, guide, etc.)

My next purchase for it will be the JAE100 stock. It looks wicked sexy!:D
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2917/jaem1a3mj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)