PDA

View Full Version : question about buying handgun online

_gomez_
04-26-2011, 2:41 AM
I am currently deployed and my platoon is getting a commemorative Sig P229. I am 20 years of age and won't turn 21 until three months after being home. My question is if I bought this gun online, would I be able to have my father pick it up from the FFL dealer and put it under his name? After I turn 21 I would then register it under my name.
Thanks in advance

_gomez_

JanG
04-26-2011, 4:22 AM
or you could ask your ffl if they could hold it for you til you turn 21. some are nice enough to do that.

ns3v3n
04-26-2011, 9:13 AM
or just wait until you're 21 then do the process.

_gomez_
04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
thanks guys but the window for buying the gun closes on may 2nd so i have to make a decision promptly. I just want to know if its perfectly legal for me to buy a hand gun online and have my father or someone else pick it up.

Oceanbob
04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
thanks guys but the window for buying the gun closes on may 2nd so i have to make a decision promptly. I just want to know if its perfectly legal for me to buy a hand gun online and have my father or someone else pick it up.

But your father can. Then right away, without you being 21 he can gift it to you. Have him buy it.

paul0660
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM

It's not illegal for your father to buy the gun and give it to you, if you are not a prohibited person. You would need to file a form and pay $19 to transfer the ownership to you. Some FFL's would be worried about a straw purchase if your name is on the invoice, some would not.

whipkiller
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone else find it a little ridiculous that this young man can fight for our country but can't buy a gun?!

Thanks for your service soldier.

_gomez_
04-26-2011, 1:40 PM
Thanks guys, you guys have been really helpful.

JanG
04-26-2011, 3:00 PM
Anyone else find it a little ridiculous that this young man can fight for our country but can't buy a gun?!

i thought this was the land of the free

golfrj
04-26-2011, 4:38 PM

What he said.. They ought to GIVE him the Damn gun.. If you live in So Ca PM me when you get back and We'll buy you & your girl Dinner... Thanks again for your Service...

cali_armz
04-26-2011, 4:42 PM
or you could ask your ffl if they could hold it for you til you turn 21. some are nice enough to do that.

i think thats a good idea. i actually did that on a g30, but it was a week before i turned 21, and i put $300 down.

i would think that most FFL's would be fine with doing this, especially if you put money down on it.

Term
04-26-2011, 5:04 PM

Yes, I think it is absolutely ridiculous, Active military should be exempt from this.

Z.1
04-26-2011, 5:47 PM

^^^This.

Thank you!

Riodog
04-26-2011, 6:13 PM
Just an additional thought.

Whether you or your Father buy, purchase, whatever the weapon on line, if you use a credit card then the card name and the person that will dros it has to be the same or you'll create more questions, etc.

I ordered a Beretta for a friend of mine and paid for it with my cc. It was sent to a dealer by my home and when my buddy went to dros it I caught all kind of bs. It wasn't anything under the wire it was just I had more time to shop for it than did my buddy.
Good luck,
Rio

Ubermcoupe
04-26-2011, 6:28 PM
But your father can. Then right away, without you being 21 he can gift it to you. Have him buy it.

This. I am sure your father will be more than happy to help you out! :D

My father would even break it in for me... (not sure if thats a + or - ... :rolleyes:)