PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Custom TLE/RL II vs. Springfield Armory TRP

AeroEngi
04-25-2011, 5:43 PM
Hey guys, so I've been eyeing some 1911's for the passed few weeks and I just wanted to get your opinions on which 1911 will give me the best bang for the buck. I would like to hear if you guys own or have personally handled and/or shot both of these pistols. What are the pro's and con's of each? I've done a search but all I find are biased opinions.

Thanks for the help.

AeroEngi
04-25-2011, 6:27 PM
Anybody? :confused:

The War Wagon
04-25-2011, 8:02 PM
I bout my TLE/RL II used from a FL cop, and had it cerakoted, added new grips, new mainspring, ambi-safety, and now - a TLR-1s light.

Here's the before pic - I owned it for not quite 18 hours, before it was off for a refit!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Parts/Kimber1.jpg

AFTER pic :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Parts/100_6570.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Parts/100_6574.jpg

And now with the TLR-1s

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Parts/KIMBER2.jpg''

I have an old SA 1911-A1, which shoots quite well, but have never handled the TRP. Can't say enough nice things about the Kimber, though!

p.s. - the previous owner was also his Department's certified Glock & 1911 Armorer - he did the custom bob job himself! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Falconis
04-25-2011, 8:07 PM
I own a TLE RL2 and love it. About 250 rounds through the barrel under various conditions and very few problems. Nothing a tap/rack couldn't cure.

Can't say anything about the Springfield from personal experiences. The friends of mine that do own them love them.

FantasticPlastic
04-25-2011, 8:54 PM
I have had excellent experience with Kimbers, and although I don't have a TLE, I have shot one on a few occasions (belongs to my father), and it performs just as well as the more expensive 1911s. Personally, I like a little bit of wood on these guns, and all really care for the rubber grips that come with it. But, everything seems to be pretty high quality on it.

Rocket Man
04-25-2011, 9:06 PM
Love shooting my TLE RL, no problems at all great gun.
Never fired a SA TRP but held one & felt good (guy next to me at BullsEye shooting) he was a darn good shot with that gun.
Both good guns, can't go wrong with that choice.... flip a coin! then buy the other gun in 30 days! heh heh

S dot
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Have not shot a TRP operator, but the slide to frame fit on every one I have handled is excellent and surpasses kimbers. plus lifetime warranty. If you can look at each simultaneously check the slide to frame fit in the rear as well as the extractor fit. The springfield will be much better than the Kimber.

Not really a knock on the Kimber though I have a kimber custom II although not a railed version, and I would love to have a TRP operator. It really is one of the best production 1911s out there before entering the custom hand made shops like les baer, wilson combat, nighthawk custom, ed brown and the like.

AeroEngi
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. The TRP is more expensive (about $400 more) and I'm wondering if it is worth that much more over the Kimber.

chelseafc
04-25-2011, 10:39 PM
One thing that differentiates between the 2 is the warranty. The springfield has a lifetime warranty compared to kimber's limited 1 year warranty, at least when I was shopping for my 1911. Also there has been a lot of rumors and speculations about some quality control issues at kimber recently (some of the newer pistols not being machined properly and such).

There also seems to be some sort of stigma regarding kimbers in the 1911 circles, which most likely stemmed from their supposed quality issues of late. The springfield TRP series and the MC Operator series are viewed as one of the best made and high quality 1911s you can buy, but you do pay a premium for that "quality" and the springfield name.

But even after all that, I bought myself a Stainless TLE II.... :cool:

EDIT - Just remembered, a lot of the issues people had were with the old style of extractors kimber used, which they no longer use, so it isn't much of a problem anymore.

Cyc Wid It
04-25-2011, 11:19 PM
TRP is much better than a Kimber TLE II...

bug_eyedmonster
04-26-2011, 1:47 AM
OP,

This is not any type of formal review or anything, but I've owned and shot both. At the moment, I have three TRPs, at the peak, I owned six total. I have shot the full size TLE, TLE RL, both in carbon and stainless. While both a great guns, they are both very different. Kimbers are less, but in my opinion, need work out of the box. I've seen some problems with the TRPs recently as well, one of mine would not even go into battery when trying to chamber a round.

The TLE is a more contemporary 1911 design but with an optional rail. They also come with fixed night sights, barrel bushing, and standard thumb safety. At the price, it's a huge value no matter what.

The TRP is a full railed, bull barreled, heavy S.O.B. It also comes with night sights, but they are adjustable, and have an ambi safety. It also comes with a magwell, and two magazines, compared to Kimber's single magazine.

I've seen the finish on both guns wear pretty much at the same rate. The Kimber is easier to find, and does not hold a premium like the TRP. Initially the weight of the TRPs didnt really bother me, but the more holster drawing and training I do, the more I appreciate the speed of a lighter firearm. I'm thinking about sending out one of the TRPs to go on a diet... but that's another story. Really the choice is up to you, but to me, they are very different guns.

Q619
04-26-2011, 3:05 AM
I'd go with the Springer. You ever want any work done or have a warranty issue: they're great! Kimber.....not so much.

ZX-10R
04-26-2011, 5:58 AM
Is the TRP made in USA or Brazil? Kimbers are nice and I like that it is made in Yonkers, NY...USA. This means a lot outside of CA.

Sydwaiz
04-26-2011, 6:30 AM
Last December I bought a Stainless TLE/RL II. One of the main reasons is because it's made here in the US as the poster above stated. I couldn't be happier with it out of the box. And I did look at Springfields too but the imported frame turned me off. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gun though!

DaveFJ80
04-26-2011, 8:42 AM
I would've gone with a TRP, but for the difference in price an lack of availability at the time, I went with the TLE/RL II. I don't regret it at all, but still wouldn't mind getting a TRP later on.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Kimber/Grips/LD_Custom1.jpg

vmwerks
04-26-2011, 9:47 AM
TRP is much better than a Kimber TLE II...

+1 My TRP shoot circles around my Kimber

AeroEngi
04-26-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. One thing that I'm concerned about is the fact that the Springfields are built or it's parts are built in Brazil. Nothing against Brazil but I would much rather support my own country. I'm sure the TRP is a great firearm but the price of the Kimber and the fact that they're made in the US is making me lean towards the TLE. Am I crazy for thinking like this?

POLICESTATE
04-26-2011, 9:57 AM
I have a TLE II without the rail, about 800 rounds through it at this point. During the brake in period I had two stovepipes from reloads, that was around the first 200 rounds I put through it. Since then I have had no issues at all with either reloads or factory. I wouldn't mind owning a matching TLE II if I had the money.

I swapped out the FLGR for a GI Plug and that's the only mod I've done to the gun. Using Wilson 47D magazines, the Kimber mag is a POS.

Black Majik
04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I enjoy Kimbers, but I feel once you get to the TRP level, Springfield Armory makes the better pistol. The TRP is sans- FPS, which is a huge plus. The ILS can be easily swapped out.

Imbel is good to go. Their forging is top notch.

Nag556
04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a TRP with trigger and slide work and match grade barrel upgrade and I love it. I am going to die with this gun. Although my good friend and shooting buddy owns a TLE and out of the box I think it's an awesome gun. Although I am a SA guy I would not have any problems owning a Kimber TLE. Either way you are going to have an awesome piece of hardware.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/mnagaye/gina.jpg

AeroEngi
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
For you guys that have the Kimbers, how is their customer service? I've heard SA has excellent customer service.

NiteQwill
04-26-2011, 1:26 PM
For you guys that have the Kimbers, how is their customer service? I've heard SA has excellent customer service.

They're okay but don't expect miracles. When I had an issue with my CDP, they had me pay for shipping both ways since it was out of their 1 year warranty. All that was needed was a new slide stop. Basically, I paid $80 for a slide stop and 4 weeks of waiting. :mad:

Springfield Armory is the complete opposite, airbill to your email free of charge and nearly-instant replies via email or phone within 24 hours. I've never had to send my SA guns for any issues, they've only seen the Custom Shop for upgrades.

You can't go wrong with either gun but the TRP wins handsdown.

rogervzv
04-26-2011, 2:12 PM
Hey guys, so I've been eyeing some 1911's for the passed few weeks and I just wanted to get your opinions on which 1911 will give me the best bang for the buck. I would like to hear if you guys own or have personally handled and/or shot both of these pistols. What are the pro's and con's of each? I've done a search but all I find are biased opinions.

Thanks for the help.

I would go Kimber every time. The fit and finish on the Kimbers I have examined looked better to me than the comparable SAs. Both are good. I have fired both and liked both. Be sure that you get a steel frame unless you really care about the weight; the alloy-upper models have a lot more recoil as a trade-off to the weight savings of alloy.

plankowner
04-27-2011, 5:42 AM
I have not shot a RP but do have a Kimber TLE/rl and roughly a thousand rounds threw it and not a hiccup, I could not be happier with it

AeroEngi
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I saw a video on youtube where this guy was doing a review on the Kimber TLE. He claimed that he kept getting fail to feeds so he contacted Kimber and they said the reason for that was because of the slide catch lever. They sent him a new slide catch lever within a week and he said that it performed perfectly after that. Have any of you guys experienced that?

Also, do the newer TLE's have an internal extractor? I've heard bad things about the external ones.

Cyc Wid It
04-27-2011, 1:07 PM
I saw a video on youtube where this guy was doing a review on the Kimber TLE. He claimed that he kept getting fail to feeds so he contacted Kimber and they said the reason for that was because of the slide catch lever. They sent him a new slide catch lever within a week and he said that it performed perfectly after that. Have any of you guys experienced that?

Also, do the newer TLE's have an internal extractor? I've heard bad things about the external ones.

You're comparing a pure production gun with to a gun with some degree of fitting. You're comparing one of the most inconsistent warranty programs with one of the best. It's apple and oranges really. If you want to compare apples to apples you'd have to pick a lesser SA (MC Operator/etc.)... and I'd probably still pick it.

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html

crazychinaman
04-27-2011, 2:06 PM
I have both pistols.They are both great.They are both fours years old each.The SA is ok,shoots left and down .The Kimber is right on every time.No issues.A group of us bought seven SA TRP's,four had to go back for service ,would not shoot at all.kept jamming.one had a two pound trigger and would double tap by itself .The rest where great. The rest of the .45 acp Pistols I have bought have been SIg 220,H&K 's four of them and three Para-ordance.

NiteQwill
04-27-2011, 2:27 PM

See my post above. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6279041&postcount=22) That is exactly the issue I had. It was not FTF but FTRB.

Kimber allowed me to spend $80 on a part they could have easily sent to me in the mail for $1.

AeroEngi
04-27-2011, 2:55 PM
You're comparing a pure production gun with to a gun with some degree of fitting. You're comparing one of the most inconsistent warranty programs with one of the best. It's apple and oranges really. If you want to compare apples to apples you'd have to pick a lesser SA (MC Operator/etc.)... and I'd probably still pick it.

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html

I can totally see your point. Thanks for the link!

I have both pistols.They are both great.They are both fours years old each.The SA is ok,shoots left and down .The Kimber is right on every time.No issues.A group of us bought seven SA TRP's,four had to go back for service ,would not shoot at all.kept jamming.one had a two pound trigger and would double tap by itself .The rest where great. The rest of the .45 acp Pistols I have bought have been SIg 220,H&K 's four of them and three Para-ordance.

Thanks for the info. I also have a Sig P220 and I love it but I feel that no firearm collection is complete without a 1911.

See my post above. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6279041&postcount=22) That is exactly the issue I had. It was not FTF but FTRB.

Kimber allowed me to spend $80 on a part they could have easily sent to me in the mail for $1.

That blows man, sorry to hear about that. At least it's fixed now. That kinda info will make me wanna get the TRP instead.

AeroEngi
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Just realized this but I don't see the SA TRP (railed and non-railed) on the CA DoJ handgun roster. Can we not buy these pistols in California?

hkdad
05-02-2011, 12:31 PM
both will do you good. if you have extra $$$... spend it on the TRP.

redcliff
05-02-2011, 1:04 PM
Ok the "Springfields are imported guns" stuff is getting a bit old.

Only Springfields lower end models are truly made in Brazil. Their serial numbers typcially start with N and are marked "made in brazil" below the frame rails or Imbel Brazil under the dustcover, or some combination as the marks have changed over the years. These pistols are finish machined and assembled in Brazil by Imbel, which is actually a very good arms producer; it makes many products licensed from other manufacturers like Fabrique Nationale.

Pistols with a serial number of NM are considerred made in the USA by our government as more than half the machining and all the assembly is done in the U.S. by Americans. The very high end Springfields are totally finished machined in the US.

All Springfields are made from forgings (i.e. chunks of steel pressed into a rough shape) produced by Imbel in Brazil. These rough forgings are the equivalent quality wise to anything similar we make in the U.S. As to the quality of the steel, do you have any idea where the ore used to make the steel in Kimber forgings came from? is it "American ore"? If were gonna judge the nationality of a product based upon its raw forging, we may as well go back one more step and find out where the ore is from.

Personally I like Springfields better than Kimbers. I own 3 Kimber 1911's and 2 have had to go back to the factory, one twice. Kimbers customer service basically is below par in my opinion, while Springfield has the best customer service in the business.

AeroEngi
05-02-2011, 5:29 PM
Ok the "Springfields are imported guns" stuff is getting a bit old.

Only Springfields lower end models are truly made in Brazil. Their serial numbers typcially start with N and are marked "made in brazil" below the frame rails or Imbel Brazil under the dustcover, or some combination as the marks have changed over the years. These pistols are finish machined and assembled in Brazil by Imbel, which is actually a very good arms producer; it makes many products licensed from other manufacturers like Fabrique Nationale.

Pistols with a serial number of NM are considerred made in the USA by our government as more than half the machining and all the assembly is done in the U.S. by Americans. The very high end Springfields are totally finished machined in the US.

All Springfields are made from forgings (i.e. chunks of steel pressed into a rough shape) produced by Imbel in Brazil. These rough forgings are the equivalent quality wise to anything similar we make in the U.S. As to the quality of the steel, do you have any idea where the ore used to make the steel in Kimber forgings came from? is it "American ore"? If were gonna judge the nationality of a product based upon its raw forging, we may as well go back one more step and find out where the ore is from.

Personally I like Springfields better than Kimbers. I own 3 Kimber 1911's and 2 have had to go back to the factory, one twice. Kimbers customer service basically is below par in my opinion, while Springfield has the best customer service in the business.

Thanks for the input. I really want the Springfield but it doesn't seem like it's on the DOJ handgun roster :(

Cyc Wid It
05-02-2011, 6:03 PM
You can exempt any 1911 quite easily regardless of roster... but since you brought it up:

PC9105LCA (ambi safety) / Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 9/20/2011
PC9105LCA / Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 9/20/2011
PC9107L (ambi safety) / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 3/29/2012
PC9107L / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 3/29/2012
PC9108L (ambi safety) / Carbon Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 3/29/2012
PC9108L / Carbon Steel Pistol 5" .45 ACP 3/29/2012

Jerry X
05-02-2011, 7:27 PM
You can't compare a Kimber TLE/RL to a Springfield TRP. That's apples and oranges.

Springfield TRP > Kimber TLE/RL

FrankDux
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Cant go wrong with either but i prefer SA...Operator to TLE/RL would be a better comparison

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/WOODY71/photo12.jpg

AeroEngi
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
You can't compare a Kimber TLE/RL to a Springfield TRP. That's apples and oranges.

Springfield TRP > Kimber TLE/RL

Agreed! But the PC9105LP (railed) and PC9108LP (non-railed) are not on the list. The Kimber is.

Sydwaiz
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Since this is turning into a show your gun thread...!

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh18/Sydwaiz55/e4298fa9.jpg

The only Springfield I've shot was my friends Operator with the full rail. I really wanted Kimber's Tactical Entry but it's not on the list. IMO, this was the closest I could get. I wanted a stainless frame w/ rail. I figure if I buy an ambi safety, beveled magwell, and have it blackened somehow, I would have pretty much the same thing as the Entry model. Although I do like the blingy factor of bright stainless steel, I may leave the finish alone now.

Bottom line, I love my Kimber. I am very pro "buy American" so yes, that did have an impact on my decision. It's met all my expectations and then some. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

NiteQwill
05-03-2011, 2:30 PM
Agreed! But the PC9105LP (railed) and PC9108LP (non-railed) are not on the list. The Kimber is.
"P" means package (holster, mag pouches, etc.)

The TRP can be bought in California, yes, it is on the roster.

AeroEngi
05-03-2011, 5:15 PM
"P" means package (holster, mag pouches, etc.)

The TRP can be bought in California, yes, it is on the roster.

Thank you for clarifying.

AeroEngi
05-12-2011, 9:36 PM
Or how about I buy an MC Operator instead, have Springfield custom shop armory coat the frame black, change the grips and have the front strap checkered all for about $200 less than the TRP? What would you guys say about that?

WRENCHHEAD
05-12-2011, 9:50 PM
try to handle both if you can.

for me, i prefer the feel of SA's beavertail over kimbers. the SA flares up more so my grip rides higher up.

i know it sounds minor, but it's one of those tid bits to look for.

bug_eyedmonster
05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Or how about I buy an MC Operator instead, have Springfield custom shop armory coat the frame black, change the grips and have the front strap checkered all for about $200 less than the TRP? What would you guys say about that?

You would still need a bull barrel, adjustable sights, and magwell... =) would cost a bit more than $200 for that.

AeroEngi
05-12-2011, 10:06 PM
You would still need a bull barrel, adjustable sights, and magwell... =) would cost a bit more than $200 for that.

Thanks for the response. Actually, I don't care too much about those things. Would you still think its worth the hassle?

bug_eyedmonster
05-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I dunno, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want just a cool Springfield, then I'd go with the Operator to begin with, that's a closer comparison in the first place to the TLE/RL anyway. The checkering is the only part that would require you to have the frame re-finished, so if it doesn't bother you, then no point.

Part of what makes the TRP the TRP is the bull barrel and then full length dust cover. I personally dont like their adjustable sights. I think I prefer fixed night sights that are lower profile and dont tear up hands so much. I sent one of my TRPs back to Springfield because the finish was wearing from holsters and such. I also had them round off some of the edges and sights as well. It turned out better than I expected, but I think I'm still going to eventually switch the sights out to fixed ones.

Jerry

AeroEngi
05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I personally want the TRP Operator but from my understanding they're not on the roster. That's why I'm considering the MC Operator and the Kimber. I also want one with a rail because I eventually wanna use it for a HD gun so I wanna put a light on it. Which TRP do you have? If you have the Operator, how did you get it if its not on the roster?

bug_eyedmonster
05-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I have/had about eight TRP Operators total over the course of seven years. I bought six of them new-in-box years ago from a local dealer when they got them in, it took me six months of driving back and forth to do the DRoS and 30 day waiting period. If you want one, I have a friend who might have one for sale, which is also NIB if you are interested. But I'm tlaking about the full length dust cover, not the half railed versions.

Jerry

AeroEngi
05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I have/had about eight TRP Operators total over the course of seven years. I bought six of them new-in-box years ago from a local dealer when they got them in, it took me six months of driving back and forth to do the DRoS and 30 day waiting period. If you want one, I have a friend who might have one for sale, which is also NIB if you are interested. But I'm tlaking about the full length dust cover, not the half railed versions.

Jerry

If possible, can you PM me details and pictures if your friend is considering selling it? Thanks man.

IPSICK
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Nothing wrong with getting the MC Operator and sending it to the Custom Shop. I would suggest getting it and using it for quite a bit while figuring out what you want done at the Custom Shop. Shipping pistols is expensive and you really only want to send it out once. The mods you mention are nice but the Custom Shop has some real talent that you would want to take advantage of. I would at least look to removing all MIM parts, the ILS MSH, a trigger job with tool steel or better parts (hammer, sear, disconnector), match fit barrel/bushing, and IonBond finish. Will cost more (save your $ while deciding), but you will have a very nice 1911.

AeroEngi
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Nothing wrong with getting the MC Operator and sending it to the Custom Shop. I would suggest getting it and using it for quite a bit while figuring out what you want done at the Custom Shop. Shipping pistols is expensive and you really only want to send it out once. The mods you mention are nice but the Custom Shop has some real talent that you would want to take advantage of. I would at least look to removing all MIM parts, the ILS MSH, a trigger job with tool steel or better parts (hammer, sear, disconnector), match fit barrel/bushing, and IonBond finish. Will cost more (save your $ while deciding), but you will have a very nice 1911.

Dude, great recommendations! I will consider all of those if I get the MC Operator. Thanks!

IPSICK
05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Consider it even if you get the TRP. It's what I did to my TRP Operator minus the IonBond (got Hard Chrome instead) and the Match fit barrel (kept the stock barrel, which I now regret. shipping costs). I did add a weld-on magwell also.

You could even buy the parts yourself piece by piece and then send it to them for install and fitting (I used a mix of EGW/Wilson Combat/Ed Brown). This way you get all the custom pieces you want while keeping your warranty for the gun.

rumblebee
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
hkdad summed it up nicely (my .02....TRP....my TRP Operator will go to the grave with me..)

both will do you good. if you have extra $$$... spend it on the TRP.

camron882
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
im waiting on my tle/rl II

bombadillo
05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Breyers Vs. Dreyers Vanilla ice cream.

I like Breyers, you may like Dreyers. Your choice dude.

And I know it isn't a lot of help but either choice, you still get a great gun regardless. One flavor of vanilla is just like the other...... But different!

hkdad
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
pick your poison...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/DSC03219.jpg

jessegpresley
05-13-2011, 12:22 PM

It's going to cost you at least $350 to do that, not including the $100 approximate for the round trip airfare.

If you're going to pay for a finish I'd pay for Black-T over Armory Cote.

So now you're going to be spending a little over $500 for front strap checkering, Black-T and postage.

NiteQwill
05-13-2011, 2:46 PM
Buy an MC Operator... Send it out to the custom shop. To save on shipping, call Deb to get an air bill.

http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/SA-Operator-11.JPG

noliwan
05-13-2011, 3:21 PM
Buy an MC Operator... Send it out to the custom shop. To save on shipping, call Deb to get an air bill.

http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/SA-Operator-11.JPG

Nice..!! My next Gun... :D Don't have an all stainless 1911 yet...

fullspeed1
05-13-2011, 3:50 PM

Customer service is excellent. Just got my Custom II back from warranty work which was all my fault. I found out that slamming the slide home on an empty chamber on a 1911 is no bueno. Yes, I learned the hard way. Kimber emailed me a 2day air return label and replaced the sear, and readjusted the trigger group and just sent me my Kimber back via 2day air.

IPSICK
05-13-2011, 4:10 PM
Nice..!! My next Gun... :D Don't have an all stainless 1911 yet...

I don't think that one is stainless.